Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic P0108 Engine Death at Stoplights

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!: 98 Civic P0108 Engine Death at Stoplights

Hi,

I have a 98 Civic and lately it's been dying when I clutch in to break. The car's RPMs at a stoplight/sign the car sometimes drop to 0: battery light turns on, then oil, then no-more powersteering. It does this in the daytime but never in the morning. And if I can make it to a complete stop (idle) it won't happen. It's only during the clutching-slowing process (independent of breaking - just holding in the clutch without giving the engine gas will eventually do it.. sometimes)

The problem started a month ago (after the car was left for two weeks unused) and then disappeared after my car inspection. But three days ago I had my tires rotated and the problem is back.

I need some advice because I know little of cars though I'm a rather technically inclined person (computer engineering) and I have to make a 2400 mile drive in a few days. I'll try to give you as much information/history to go on as possible (if you want more please.. just ask):

The car's Check Engine light has flickered on and off over the past year. However this year it's stayed on and I was finally able to run a check engine diagnostic:

I had three numbers pop up: P0108, P0171, and P0420

Which, after some internet searching leads me to believe that the MAP sensor is either getting the right information or that it's busted.

Since it has problems during the daytime (usually when it's hotter) I'm thinking it has to do with the barometer on the MAP (since it uses air temperature to calculate fuel input for injection right?).

The other errors point to problems with the Catalytic converter (which costs a whole lot more).

The check engine light has never been a problem. The car has gone one month from inspection to now without so much as a hiccup. But now the problem has reappeared in all its hideousness.

My HONDA dealer isn't helpful and I really need some solid advice.

Are there any more diagnostics I can run on it? Is there a way to check the solid state of my catalytic converter to make sure that it's not interfering with my barometric readings? Should I just give up and cry?

Please help knowledgable ones, thank you.

-Wi llama