Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   98 civic overheating (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/98-civic-overheating-2993247/)

Cap'N Chronic 10-27-2011 07:14 AM

98 civic overheating

Car is a 1998 honda civic ls swapped ex. My car will run at normal temp for a while, then will start overheating. I went to bleed my coolant system and there was a ton of air in it and the bubbles would not stop coming. There is a high picthed humming noise coming from my intake that sounds like air being sucked into a small hole. I found out its coming from my iacv on the back of my intake, because when I plug the hold on my throttle body for it, it stops making the noise. Could my coolant system be sucking in air from my iacv somehow?

Former User 10-27-2011 07:27 AM

Re: 98 hona civic overheating

Possibly a blown head gasket.

Go_Race_Your_Self 10-27-2011 07:31 AM

Re: 98 hona civic overheating

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT (Post 46251040)
Possibly a blown head gasket.

Check for white smoke coming out of your exhaust when the car is reving. If so, head gasket.

Kev

sde780 10-27-2011 07:34 AM

Re: 98 civic overheating

Also make sure your coolant lines are routed properly.

Cap'N Chronic 10-27-2011 07:50 AM

I just changed my headgasket last weekend. From what I can tell it's still good.

Cap'N Chronic 10-27-2011 07:52 AM

It also seems like my temp will jump around below normal operating temp when I hit bumps and stuff sometimes.

Cap'N Chronic 10-27-2011 07:58 AM

When I changed my head gasket, I noticed my intake manifold was really dirty, so I pulled it off and pulled my throttlebody and iacv off and sprayed it inside and out with brake cleaner and a pressure washer. Then after I got it reinstalled it started making that humming noise. It has never done it before then.

Cap'N Chronic 10-27-2011 08:00 AM

I also changed my thermostat while I had everything torn apart, because my old one was stuck closed.

dSquirrel 10-27-2011 08:11 AM

two things, are you going off of your dash temp gauge and saying its overheating, or is the car doing something to make you believe it?
And did you try cleaning the IACV with carb cleaner, or did you pressure wash it too?

Kohen 10-27-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'N Chronic (Post 46251201)
I just changed my headgasket last weekend. From what I can tell it's still good.

did you do it right?
new headbolts. (good idea)
torque it to the correct specs.
did you make the headbolts snug, then torque to 22lbs then to 53lbs doing it in a sequence?
if you don't do it right you can have a blown headgasket again.

Cap'N Chronic 10-27-2011 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kohen (Post 46251732)
did you do it right?
new headbolts. (good idea)
torque it to the correct specs.
did you make the headbolts snug, then torque to 22lbs then to 53lbs doing it in a sequence?
if you don't do it right you can have a blown headgasket again.

Yeah I got arp's and torqued them all to spec. Usually when I've blown a head gasket my coolant gets really dirty from the oil and its really obvious but from what I can tell its still normal colored.

Cap'N Chronic 10-27-2011 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by dSquirrel (Post 46251313)
two things, are you going off of your dash temp gauge and saying its overheating, or is the car doing something to make you believe it?
And did you try cleaning the IACV with carb cleaner, or did you pressure wash it too?

Well my dash gauge said it was overheating, so I pulled over and the engine didn't feel all that hot. So I thought my gauge was just going bad. But when I went to open the radiator cap coolant and steam went everywhere. And yeah I sprayed the inside of the iacv with carb cleaner.

motegicivic 10-27-2011 10:05 AM

I am not sure why someone would pressure wash the iacv and throttle body, carb or brake clean is plenty.

As for the head gasket, did you check to make sure it was not warped, did you have it machined, or straight edge and feeler gauge at least?

You might have a bad gauge, check the coolant temp sending unit.

Cap'N Chronic 10-27-2011 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by motegicivic (Post 46252005)
I am not sure why someone would pressure wash the iacv and throttle body, carb or brake clean is plenty.

As for the head gasket, did you check to make sure it was not warped, did you have it machined, or straight edge and feeler gauge at least?

You might have a bad gauge, check the coolant temp sending unit.

I never said I pressure washed the IACV and throttle body... I said I pressure washed the intake manifold... And yes I straight edged the head and block.

Cap'N Chronic 10-27-2011 12:12 PM

Could it be possible that air is leaking in through my radiator cap? I have never changed it and it looks a little worn..

dSquirrel 10-31-2011 07:06 PM

it does sound to me like you're overheating some, but i also think your temp gauge is going bad, from the fact that the needle falls when you hit a bump. (maybe losing power or signal for a second?)

did you try bleeding the cooling system? if there's air in it, you can bleed it out.

I'd say replace the cap anyway, if it looks worn enough for you to bring it up, it's a cheap enough fix to just go ahead and do.

dSquirrel 10-31-2011 07:08 PM

Oh yeah, I'd check the hoses to the IACV too.

92lxsleeper 11-01-2011 03:54 PM

you said you have arp studs. you don't torque studs down. you tighten them til they "stretch" to the proper clearance.

motegicivic 11-01-2011 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 92lxsleeper (Post 46280183)
you said you have arp studs. you don't torque studs down. you tighten them til they "stretch" to the proper clearance.

Stupid q, how do you tighten studs? is there a place for wrench?

Cap'N Chronic 11-01-2011 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by 92lxsleeper (Post 46280183)

Not too sure what you mean by this. I installed them exactly as the instructions say, and I had a buddy help me that has experience rebuilding motors.

As for the overheating issue, I replaced the radiator cap and topped off the coolant, and so far so good.

I did notice that the coolant was abnormally low when I put the new cap on though. Any way I could lose coolant through a bad cap?

Texas4door 11-01-2011 11:11 PM

You could be losing it if it's steaming out from under the cap, yes.