Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic LX - odometer stopped rolling

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 01:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic LX - odometer stopped rolling

Hello, I looked at a 1998 Honda Civic for an individual and got paid to look it over, so to establish that it's not my car that I can go out and tool around with.

1998 Honda Civic LX auto D16Y7 4-door. Had I believe 145,000 miles.

The speedometer also bounces, and does not seem to indicate an actual speed. It seems to jump to 30MPH whenever the key is turned to run position. Also had codes P0170 and P0171, I scanned it three times and they appeared on the third scan of OBD2. Totally unsure if this is related to the speedometer thing, but I am mentioning because they began at the same time.

Now, I am following up with the guy, and wanted to inquire as to what could possibly be making the speedometer do that, and what to do about the non-rolling odo.

Kthx
Old 08-10-2016, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: 98 Civic LX - odometer stopped rolling

I was having a similar issue with my 93 Civic when the alternator was going out (odo not incrementing, sped bouncing), . Perhaps you can ask the owner if the console dies when he has a number of electrical things going (headlights, stereo, cabin light, etc.)?
Old 08-10-2016, 04:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 435
I was having a similar issue with my 93 Civic when the alternator was going out (odo not incrementing, sped bouncing), . Perhaps you can ask the owner if the console dies when he has a number of electrical things going (headlights, stereo, cabin light, etc.)?
Voltage was 13.96V at the battery terminals when the car was running.

Buyer seems skittish, looking for anything could possibly be wrong with it (one of those, lol) but im trying to help him out. Of course, the VSS has been mentioned, as well as the speedometer itself. I assume the guy bought the car. I was there to make sure it didnt have anything that would make someone walk away. And I still feel like I had to force those codes to come out.. scanning three times in a row like that. Though that should not conceivably make the speedometer jump to 30MPH when the ignition is turned on but car not started. Bounces, as you say.

Went over it pretty well, do not see odo stop personally but I told him I would inquire.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

When you turn the key from OFF to ON(II) [engine not running], does the cluster charging system warning light turn on and stay on?
Old 08-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreatBrunEye
Now, I am following up with the guy, and wanted to inquire as to what could possibly be making the speedometer do that, and what to do about the non-rolling odo.
Kthx
Take the instrument cluster out and make sure the four screws holding the speedometer are not loose, they power the speedometer gauge. Now if that doesn't work and you've checked the VSS, then it comes down to a faulty Speedometer gauge. You can try to fix the circuit board, I tried, but it wasn't a permanent fix, yes I know how to solder properly. I finally gave up and bought a new gauge, no more issues. Mine was bouncing around, but never set a code. Then it would go to zero while driving.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:34 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by RonJ
When you turn the key from OFF to ON(II) [engine not running], does the cluster charging system warning light turn on and stay on?
OP - Please provide and answer to this question I quoted, that Ron asked. The answer to this question will help isolate what system you will need to start diagnosing on.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by RonJ
In doing my good deed, and helping this guy get his newly bought Civ all sorted out, let me stay on topic and relay the information he told me:

If I am reading what he told me correctly, when he turned the key to ON and did NOT start the engine, the battery light came on, and stayed on. He also told me it turned off when the engine started.

So... Yes.

More info, slightly off-topic.. supposedly, he is now telling me he "knows" the cluster was swapped because it says 1995 on it. I am confused, since nothing seemed to be really out of place during the look-over. at all. New radiator.. Good, radiators get old, and have to be replaced. How he "knows it is a 1995 cluster" has me suspicious. (Just half reading texts... days after my job is done.) He is also insisting more is wrong with it, but I did extensive testing during the couple hours I was with it including extensive starting, restarting, letting it run, watching fans kick on, really looking at engine, road test... and you wonder why I walked away after I didnt see any red flags..
Old 08-11-2016, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

ohhh now I see, it was someone else's problem. Nevermind my recommendations, you did all you could. I didn't think the 95 cluster fit into a 96. almost doesn't want you to do good deeds, sheesh.. But I agree it does sound suspicious.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by oneheadlight
ohhh now I see, it was someone else's problem. Nevermind my recommendations, you did all you could. I didn't think the 95 cluster fit into a 96. almost doesn't want you to do good deeds, sheesh.. But I agree it does sound suspicious.
Thanks man, we are on the same page.

And no good deed goes unpunished.

Last edited by Former User; 08-12-2016 at 06:48 AM.