Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic Keyless / Alarm Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic Keyless / Alarm Problems

Hey everyone. This is my first post on here so hoping someone might be able to help me out. This will probably be a long post, so please bear with me.

I have a 1998 Civic Ex that I purchased in 2001. After buying the car, I upgraded to an aftermarket cd player and discovered I would have to leave the OEM radio connected to keep the keyless entry / alarm functional. No problems there, just a little splicing and a good place to hide the radio in the dash and was finished.

In 2008, I was transferred to Japan for a 3 year tour and decided to leave my car at my In-Laws house so it could be driven periodically while I was gone (I didnt want it sitting in a storage for 3 years). At this point, no issues with anything.

Skip ahead to 2011. Up until this point, there has been no issues with the keyless / alarm except I had a faulty remote that I replaced in 2009 while I was back in the States visiting with family (and checking up on my cars). There was no issues getting the remote synced up (thanks to Honda-Tech forums).

In Jan 2011 I was getting everything set up for my cars to get shipped from my In-Laws to my next duty station when I get an email from my Father-In-Law saying that he went to get into my car and move it and the alarm would not shut off and the horn wouldn't stop until he disconnected the battery. I figured the remote was dead (needed a new battery) so when he hit the button it never disabled the alarm and thus causing the horn to go crazy. He said that when he hit the button, the doors unlocked using the remote but the alarm still went crazy. I thought this was strange because if the remote was dead, then the doors wouldnt off been unlocked using the remote either. I went ahead and asked him to replace the battery anyway and as soon as he hooked up the car battery, the horn started going off and the remote did nothing.

All of this was happening while I was in Japan and the moving truck was going to be there (at the in-laws) the next morning needing a running car for the transport truck. I had my father in law just disconnect the OEM radios harness just so the car would run and the alarm wouldnt sound (it would just be without keyless or alarm, but at least would run). I would just figure it out when I looked at it when I got home.

Well, I just got done looking at it, and the only thing I can think of, is the Security Control Main Unit went bad. I checked all of the connections, there are no issues with the wiring, so the only thing I can think of is the Unit.

I dont know if it might be the remote, but as soon as I plug the OEM radio in, the alarm goes nuts and nothing I have tried with the remote turns it off.

Hopefully someone here can help me out, I would really like to get this thing working again without spending a ton of money. I looked online trying to find another unit, and the only thing I could find was a OEM radio but the Security Unit was not included.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 98 Civic Keyless / Alarm Problems

Old 03-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Old 03-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats what I figured...anyone have an idea where to find a replacement Security Control Main Unit...and if so, will it plug and play with my OEM radio or will I have to get the whole thing?

If thats the case...am I just better off just getting an aftermarket security system that has keyless entry?

Thoughts?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by My98CivicEx

I had my father in law just disconnect the OEM radios harness just so the car would run and the alarm wouldnt sound (it would just be without keyless or alarm, but at least would run). I would just figure it out when I looked at it when I got home.

I dont know if it might be the remote, but as soon as I plug the OEM radio in, the alarm goes nuts and nothing I have tried with the remote turns it off.
From what you have written above, the problem is the keyless system built into the stock radio not the security control unit, right? See diagram I posted above.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So if I found another OEM radio, do you think I could put my existing security security control unit, or would it have to be configured somehow? Or just configure my remote to work with new setup? So if I get a different radio and put my alarm unit with that other radio, do u think my alarm will sound as soon as I connect it, and if so, any solutions. Sorry for having so many questions, but just trying to get this figured out. I really do appreciate the help!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did the unplug tests point to a bad security unit or radio/keyless unit? For the latter, you should be able to use a radio out of any 96-98 Civic EX or LX. Just swap your security unit into the slot on the top of the replacement radio.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So when you say "unplug test", I take it your refering to what point the alarm will stop when the harness is disconnected? If I remember correctly, the alarm will sound until the radio was disconnected. I connected just the alarm unit's harness and nothing happened. But as soon as the radio's harness is connected, the horn starts going. I was thinking it was because the alarm control unit wouldn't get power unless the radio's harness was connected. But if course I could be wrong. I can check in the morning exactly when the alarm goes off and when it shuts off. Thanks for the help, i'll hive an update in the morning
Old 03-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The security unit, which fits into a slot on top of the radio, has its own connector. The radio has two connectors, one for the radio itself and one for the keyless system. If you read the troubleshooting diagram I posted, you'll see that if the horn stops sounding when the keyless connector is unplugged, then the radio/keyless system is the problem.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome, thanks for the help so far, im gonna double check everything in the morning. Any idea where I can get another oem radio / keyless entry?
Old 03-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check junk yards, eBay, and the Marketplace forum.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so just got my dash disassembled again so I could check at which point the alarm will sound, and when it will go off. When I hook up both connectors to the radio portion...nothing. When I hook up the connector to the Security Control Unit, the alarm starts going off. When I disconnect the Security Control Unit, the alarm stops even though the radio is still connected. So, according to your chart from earlier, the security control unit needs to be replaced.

It seems that there was a short supply of these security control units because everywhere I have looked does not have it, they just have the radio without the security unit.

Does anyone know where I could find another control unit? I am trying to stay away from ordering one from the dealer (I dont even know if they can get them, and if they can, will probably be alot of $$).

I am going to start calling junk yards to see if I might get lucky.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked in the audio unit section at Majestic Honda? Or just send them an e-mail. It looks like it costs about $100 there.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I contacted Majestic Honda and its would take 10-14 business days to get it. And, with shipping and handling it is only $7 cheaper than if I got it at the local dealership and they can have it for me by tomorrow. I think I am headed down to the local dealership so I dont have to wait. BTW, I contacted all the junk yards in the state of Virginia and none of them have the unit.

Do you think I am going to have to re program my remote for this new unit?
Old 04-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, got the new security control unit this morning. Got it installed and programed with no problems. Everything is working like it should, so back to normal. Thanks so much for the help!