Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic with idle problem - possible causes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic with idle problem - possible causes?

Alright, checking out a 98 ek coupe with em1 front and a y8 swap. The swap has 20k miles on it but it idles REALLY rough. the kid only wants 1400$ but i KNOW i can get him to 1k or less. New black paint job, 5zein rims(Like 600-700$ rims i forget the exact name but he showed me), has a VERY small dent near the quarter panel, literally so small i could get a go pro suction cup and pull it out(I did it to my moms car and her dent was HUGE). back to this problem, i want to know what is the WORSE POSIBLE THING THAT CAN CAUSE A HEAVY idle? I know for a fact this kid did not clean the IACV because he had no idea wtf it was. i know that will make it idle like crazy like 1k-2.5k/3k. Car runs like a ******* champ once you launch it runs like a BRAND NEW car. interior is 10/10, everything is perfect on the car. I took my father with me and he said it needs a "Smog pump" to pass smog and to fix this idle. i looked EVERYWHERE to find this ******* "Smog pump" wtf is it and how much is it. i will buy the pump right now and clean the IACV AT THE DUDES HOUSE if it will fix this idle problem. My dad told him straight up, that he is lieing about something and that he could not even sell the car without it being smogged(The law) so i know my dad will be a hard *** on the price and get it cheaper. Kid payed 3k for it, needs it gone.

http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/3555568003.html
Old 01-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Need help ASAP

Please create thread titles that summarize the tech problem/question -- title edited.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help ASAP

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Please create thread titles that summarize the tech problem/question -- title edited.
Sorry bout that was in a hurry. I wanna grab the parts before shop closes, i can get them for free today if it's under 100$

Heres the listing of the car http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/3555568003.html and unless i convince my dad that the parts are cheap and i can pass this car i won't get it lol. i have a brand new y8 swap i'm going to drop it in shell, and with this i can sell the y8 and pocket the cash towards an alarm.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Civic with idle problem - possible causes?

What CEL codes are thrown?

Do the wire harnesses looked hacked?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could be sucking air from the head the intake or the intake could be cracked another bet might be the iacv could be dirty does it idle up and down of just stays reved up?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What CEL codes are thrown?

Do the wire harnesses looked hacked?
I didn't try pulling any codes, i'll have to do that tomorrow.
The wire harnesses didn't seem bad as far as i check, but i will look throughly in the day light. I also have a full y8 harness if needed.

Originally Posted by JDMLyfe89
Could be sucking air from the head the intake or the intake could be cracked another bet might be the iacv could be dirty does it idle up and down of just stays reved up?
I wasn't in the car looking at the rpms but it sounded like between 1500-3500 maybe. It was relitively loud and the start up was about 6-7 cranks(COLD START, about 30-40 degrees outside) then it reved and idled high. didn't stay at one rpm like i said. I said it was the IACV dirty, because i had that problem.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PerfectionIsKey
I didn't try pulling any codes, i'll have to do that tomorrow.
Did you notice whether the CEL worked? Some unscrupulous sellers will remove the CEL bulb, so watch for that. You won't be able to pull codes by jumping the service connector if the bulb is removed.

If you have a code reader, you can also check for codes that way. But be aware that the seller may reset the ECU before you arrive to clear codes, so take the car on a drive and then pull the codes.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It could be a lot of things might even be timing mess with the dizzy if there's any codes being thrown out check them and go from there
Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you notice whether the CEL worked? Some unscrupulous sellers will remove the CEL bulb, so watch for that. You won't be able to pull codes by jumping the service connector if the bulb is removed.

If you have a code reader, you can also check for codes that way. But be aware that the seller may reset the ECU before for arrive to clear codes, so take the car on a drive and then pull the codes.
Alright get to know, how much for the code reader? I will buy one since it's great to have. My dad is on the TOTAL offense because of the whole smog thing. But he doesn't understand that engine is COMING out and a whole new swap is going in WAY before oct when i get my license.

Just talked to my dad hes going to grab a code reader for the CEL. We are going to take the car on the freeway and take it up to 100mph on this small country rode off the freeway out of harms way to see how it runs then pull some CEL and any other codes.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much for the code reader? I will buy one since it's great to have.
Can you just rent one from AutoZone? This is usually free. Give them a call. That way you don't rush into a purchase.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you just rent one from AutoZone? This is usually free. Give them a call. That way you don't rush into a purchase.
Alright i will call them first thing in the mourning as ask. I was to do a FULL check on this car, i don't wanna rush on it but i also don't want to lose out on a killer deal.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Proceed very cautiously, and be prepared to walk away. The car appears to have been somebody's failed project. Sometimes those are the worst cars to purchase as they are constant sources of unwanted surprises left by the PO.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Proceed very cautiously, and be prepared to walk away. The car appears to have been somebody's failed project. Sometimes those are the worst cars to purchase as they are constant sources of unwanted surprises left by the PO.
Alright, will this "Code reader" display the code RIGHT ON THE screen not some blub blinking?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, will this "Code reader" display the code RIGHT ON THE screen not some blub blinking?
OBD2 code readers display codes on the screen. Note that if the OP by chance has installed an OBD1 ECU, the code reader won't work, and you will need to jump the service connector and watch the blinking CEL to read the codes.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OBD2 code readers display the code on the screen. Note that if the OP by chance has installed an OBD1 ECU, the code reader won't work, and you will need to jump the service connector and watch the blinking CEL to read the codes.
Alright, i'll ask him tomorrow first thing in the mourning. I also have this guy with an EG6 that will SWAP IN MY ENGINE AT HIS HOUSE and take it to the smog shop and have it smogged with me to show he doesn't want to scam or **** me over. He said it will be just him and we will do it outside so i'm completely safe and to bring as many people as i like. He did a BUNCH of work on the car, super clean and straight body, needs paint and has a brand new shift linkage for my swap. Interior is great and just did a brand new wire tuck throughout the WHOLE car.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anything else i should check out of the car? I'm be looking at it at about 5-6pm today in the daylight and since it's missing some things ima try and get him to 900-1000$
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you already know that is missing?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you already know that is missing?
Okay so this was at 8pm in the dark with minimal light but so far that i seen. The paint(Clear coat) is a little running at the top so i need to sand that and re-clear coat it, which i'm really gifted at painting lol(No cockyness intended), it needs something called a "Smog pump" that's what my dad said, what could that be? The oxygen sensor? air pump? i'm not sure. Power steering, AC, and idles REALLY rough but runs like a champ(20,000 miles on it). I didn't check the interior out but it's 10/10 as far as i seen. I just want to right down a list to check everything out so i can point out EVERY SINGLE BAD THING and get the price rediculously low.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Smog pump? Not sure, ask your dad what he means. Maybe he means catalytic converter?

What ECU is in the car?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Smog pump? Not sure, ask your dad what he means. Maybe he means catalytic converter?
Same thing i said, i was like wtf is a "Smog pump"? and he said there was no other name for it. I asked like LITERALLY 25-30 people and no one had an idea of what it could be. I think he was just talking **** and making something up lol maybe on honda's it's in a different spot (Hes a muscle and truck kinda of guy and i got him an 4 door eg and he loves it lol)

I'm like hella pumped about getting another car right now because that's the only thing holding me back from working right now(30$ an hour, 50 hour weeks) and i want to start my build now.

Also there is a guy with an EG6 LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE THING is up to date, body work is IMACULANT, straightest body ive ever seen lol, needs to be primared and paint(Because of bondo) and he has everything for a y8 swap(Which i have to put in). He said i could put the motor in AT HIS HOUSE, take it to the smog shop and he will pay for the smog so it can be sold to us. He's a hella cool guy as far as i know, but i'm more of an ex/hx/ek/em1 coupe kinda of guy. But i wouldn't mind having a hatchy

ECU, i'm not sure i can ask. Or where can i check to find out? There's a Y7 in the car with 20k miles if that helps lol
Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ask your dad where he thinks the smog pump is located and what he thinks its function is.

It's easy to remove the front passenger kick panel to expose the ECU and see the code stamped on it.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ask your dad where he thinks the smog pump is located and what he thinks its function is.

It's easy to remove the front passenger kick panel to expose the ECU and see the code stamped on it.
Alright cool i'll definitely check it out. I'm calling auto-zone and oreilys to see if they know what it could be. I talked to my neighbor and he said that it was something in old 70-80s trucks and not in Hondas at all.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yo ron QUICKKKKKKKKKKKKK question >.< okay so i found out that 96ex's don't need a "Smog pump" that's for older and some new cars. But the whole crazy idle thing, can't i plug up some hole to check if it's a dirty IACV? IS THERE ANYWAY i can check if the IACV is dirty without taking it off?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You'd need to remove the air intake (held by clamp on TB) and then put your finger over the hole inside the TB leading to the IACV. If the idle speed drops, it could be a dirty IACV, though there are other possibilities as well.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You'd need to remove the air intake (held by clamp on TB) and then put your finger over the hole inside the TB leading to the IACV. If the idle speed drops, it could be a dirty IACV, though there are other possibilities as well.
Alright well they kid is pretty cool and will let me do some tests and check parts so i just want to make sure i can figure out this idle problem so i can tell me dad how much it is.

Here is my list i can think of before even checking the CEL

Wrong ECU for car/bad ecu
Harness can be hacked up/did badly
IACV is dirty as ****
Throttle body sensor is messed up/moved/adjusted wrong

anything else i can check without TEARING the motor apart? I want to take the car around the block then check for any CEL codes. What if none come up?

Quick Reply: 98 Civic with idle problem - possible causes?