Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic hatchback engine swap: Possible engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 Civic hatchback engine swap: Possible engines

I'd first like to say thank you to everyone who makes this forum possible, better, and informative.

My goal with this thread is to have one thread that shows all the possible engine swaps for a Civic hatch (I believe 92-00 are all close and similar with possible engine swaps), the pros and cons, links to that specific swap, and just general information about the engine swap.

Before anyone flames me and tells me to use the "search" feature or do "research", I have. I have read through quite a few swaps on here, googled engine swaps, and have talked to a few people who either have done or do engine swapping. The problem is not finding the information, the problem is wading through all the information and finding what is right for me. I admittedly do not know enough about Civics and all there possible engine swaps and what each swaps specifically accomplishes. That is why I want to continue my learning here and create something for all the newbs who post, "I just bought a new hatch and I want to swap the engine and go FAAAAAAAAAST!!!!!" so they have somewhere to start, increase their knowledge, and then decide which specific application meets their criteria.

I would like to mainly talk about the engine and tranny swap. I know this is a big topic so feel free to be as simple or as complex/detailed with your post as you like. I have read about the B, D, K, and H series motors that can all be swapped into the Civic HBs. I know some are cheaper, easier, harder, more expensive, heavier, lighter, can be turboed, are reliable, are unrealiable, etc, etc.

Feel free to format your post however you want but I am probably going to go through every ones post and try to pick out all the pertinent information and format it as follows (may change format if I think of a better way ):

Engine: H22 (prelude)
All pertinent info, i.e.
N/A, turbo, cams, bottom end, top end, expected/real specs,
motor mounts, ecu, chips, kits, etc....

Tranny: B16 (kit required)
All pertinent info....

Pros (for this engine and tranny): It looks cool under the hood.

Cons (for this engine and tranny): The radiator hose makes my ***** look small

Why did you choose this specific swap: It was in my price range

Links: To specific articles on honda-tech or other sites, more information about this motor/tranny, and anything you think will be helpful.

The B, D, K, and H series are all I have come across swapping. If there is other swaps that have been done feel free to mention them here. However, I would like to only mention motors that are "reasonable" to swap into a Civic HB. When I say "reasonable" I mean that have been done, are sure to work, and aren't going to cost you grandma's oil retirement because we all know with the right amount of money you could probably swap in a Lambo motor, the doors, and get that sweet fluorescent lime green paint job!

Lastly, if there is already a thread that has accomplished this please link it to this thread and after I read it I will delete my redundant thread (I hope my searching abilities don't suck that bad that I missed it and started my own...). Thank you all in advance for your help, advice, and opinions.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Civic hatchback engine swap: Possible engines

Oh I did have one thought and hopefully some one here could answer this for me:

Why do people not swap in the 3.5L Acura TL Type-S motors into Civic HBs? Is the motor to large for the engine bay? To hard to mate a tranny? To involved and too expensive? Other or all those reasons?
Old 08-26-2012, 05:00 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I know it isn't as fast as this forum but there is a ton of info like this in the hybrid forum, and this is probably going to get moved there
Old 08-26-2012, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen TL swaps a couple times, its been done but I'm sure its pretty involved, and it doesn't exactly fit with the factory hood.

there's tons of information around the web on all of these motors, and even more forums on pros/cons along with 'how to build a reliable _____'.. if you do the research, you can complete this list by yourself

anyway, here's an engine list to get you started
http://hondaswap.com/reference-mater...ne-list-29128/
Old 08-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
I know it isn't as fast as this forum but there is a ton of info like this in the hybrid forum, and this is probably going to get moved there
Oh is this considered a "hybrid" topic?
Old 08-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dontoh
I've seen TL swaps a couple times, its been done but I'm sure its pretty involved, and it doesn't exactly fit with the factory hood.

there's tons of information around the web on all of these motors, and even more forums on pros/cons along with 'how to build a reliable _____'.. if you do the research, you can complete this list by yourself

anyway, here's an engine list to get you started
http://hondaswap.com/reference-mater...ne-list-29128/
I figured it was something like that about the TL. I know I can research each motor but I don't know all the motors possible, I don't know all the important things that are involved in a motor sway, and it will take one person much longer than say 10 people who each do one motor. I'm not saying I won't do any of the work but I want to compile a list of all motors so people can just come here and be like, "Ah, H22 with this tranny and these mods. That's what I want.".
Old 01-11-2017, 06:45 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm wanting to put my B20A5 engine and trans into a hatchback civic. Was curious as to which year hatch would be easiest, I have the ECU and most the parts for the engine and trans, just don't wanna have to do a lot of fab to put it in the hatch