Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 civic fuel pressure

Old 02-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 civic fuel pressure

i recently did a mini me swap with a y7 block and y8 everything else .. my fuel filter inlet fitting was so rusted when i went to replace the filter that it didnt break loose and i had to cut the hard line .. so i used 6an steel braided hose with a 5/16th hardline fitting and also at the filter i used a 6an male to a 5/16th male an fitting .. i bought a new battery today cause i thought it wasnt starting due to not enough power .. well i put the new battery in and it cranked right over .. it spins and turns over like normal but isnt getting fuel pressure .. could it be because there is a leak in the steel hose
Old 02-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 civic fuel pressure

Can you smell gasoline? Might be an obvious question, but if yes, then there is probably a leak somewhere. However, when my injectors were not seated into the rail correctly (ripped O-ring) the fuel was literally spraying out with force. lol
Old 02-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Can you smell gasoline? Might be an obvious question, but if yes, then there is probably a leak somewhere. However, when my injectors were not seated into the rail correctly (ripped O-ring) the fuel was literally spraying out with force. lol
theres no pressure even getting to the filter not sure if its cause of the ecu im running .. i have a 98 civic ex p2p ecu but im waiting on a chipped p28 to run for no o2 sensors ..
Old 02-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok this forum is for tech questions right ?? well how come everytime someone posts a real tech question it seems to be that nobody seems to know anything and when someone asks a stupid non tech related question everybody and their mother feels the need to reply with something smart to say .. this forum is backwords to me .. thanks for any input on my real tech issue ..
Old 02-07-2012, 03:03 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 98EJ7Y8
ok this forum is for tech questions right ?? well how come everytime someone posts a real tech question it seems to be that nobody seems to know anything and when someone asks a stupid non tech related question everybody and their mother feels the need to reply with something smart to say .. this forum is backwords to me .. thanks for any input on my real tech issue ..
Keep talking like that and NO ONE will assist you.This isn't customer service. You aren't paying for tech support. This is a public and FREE forum. Someone will help you when they can or are able. If you need help sooner then take your car to a mechanic.

If the thing isn't getting pressure then one question would be does the fuel pump even prime? Why did you not replace the hardline like-for-like?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Keep talking like that and NO ONE will assist you.This isn't customer service. You aren't paying for tech support. This is a public and FREE forum. Someone will help you when they can or are able. If you need help sooner then take your car to a mechanic.

If the thing isn't getting pressure then one question would be does the fuel pump even prime? Why did you not replace the hardline like-for-like?
good question but i went for the quick fix .. it may be a fuse but i believe the pump kicks on with the key not 100% sure yet .. the next step would be to replace the steel hose with a 5/16th hard line with a new banjo bolt and to remove the pressure gauge on the top of the filter .. im not talking sh** but i just think its very funny that its a tech site and yes people give advice when possible but it seems to me that not everyone understands as much as they say they do .. no hard feelings and i agree with the mechanic thing ..
Old 02-07-2012, 03:22 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

good question but i went for the quick fix .. it may be a fuse but i believe the pump kicks on with the key not 100% sure yet .. the next step would be to replace the steel hose with a 5/16th hard line with a new banjo bolt and to remove the pressure gauge on the top of the filter .. im not talking sh** but i just think its very funny that its a tech site and yes people give advice when possible but it seems to me that not everyone understands as much as they say they do .. no hard feelings and i agree with the mechanic thing ..
Most of the people on this forum have no clue just like the population at large. That surprises you? Conversely not everyone is a certified Honda tech either.

Test that the fuel pump is actually working. I don't see why it wouldn't be but if you have no pressure...
Old 02-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Most of the people on this forum have no clue just like the population at large. That surprises you? Conversely not everyone is a certified Honda tech either.

Test that the fuel pump is actually working. I don't see why it wouldn't be but if you have no pressure...

thanks grumb!! and no it dont suprise me one bit .. and the car did sit for like 4 months without starting maybe it is bad .. lol.. im gonna check it out tomorrow
Old 02-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check all grounds and wiring for corrosion or water, check fuses, check the main relay and listen for the pump to prime when u turn the key to (II) key position. if u dont hear it then diagnose it from there. we cant help u because u havent done much diagnosing urself other then u having no fuel pressure and the car turns over.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Jeez, if the car sat for that long, I wonder if the ethanol and fuel separated in the tank or something
oO
(learned this the hard way when I didn't drain the fuel out of a chainsaw I put into storage, although THAT had two stroke oil in the fuel...back on topic!)
But yes, the fuel might have possibly gone bad while sitting for that long
^^;

*recalls brother's advice with the chainsaw*: "Shake it to mix it up again, man!"
XD;
DON'T do that to the poor car!

Also, easy way to check the main relay:
Turn the key over in the ignition to the ON position and listen towards the passenger side footwell. If you hear a slight "click" sound, that's your main relay clicking shut and it's good, meaning your fuel pump should prime if it's good ^^
Also makes me wonder how old the fuel pump is...those pumps from the 90's weren't designed to run with more than 10% or so ethanol in the gas, so if you're in an area that's using more than 10%....the plastic parts in it may be eaten away
XP
Old 02-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Texas4door
Jeez, if the car sat for that long, I wonder if the ethanol and fuel separated in the tank or something
oO
(learned this the hard way when I didn't drain the fuel out of a chainsaw I put into storage, although THAT had two stroke oil in the fuel...back on topic!)
But yes, the fuel might have possibly gone bad while sitting for that long
^^;

*recalls brother's advice with the chainsaw*: "Shake it to mix it up again, man!"
XD;
DON'T do that to the poor car!

Also, easy way to check the main relay:
Turn the key over in the ignition to the ON position and listen towards the passenger side footwell. If you hear a slight "click" sound, that's your main relay clicking shut and it's good, meaning your fuel pump should prime if it's good ^^
Also makes me wonder how old the fuel pump is...those pumps from the 90's weren't designed to run with more than 10% or so ethanol in the gas, so if you're in an area that's using more than 10%....the plastic parts in it may be eaten away
XP

thanks for the input guys .. and yes i do hear the main relay "clicking" when i turn over the key to the on position .. im kinda starting to think the pump istelf may be bad .. i did not have a chance to check any of the other fuses yet.. i was talking to this guy at GM today and he told me to use some dry gas and see if the gas is still good .. i think im gonna just drain out the 1/4 i got and get new so thats not a problem anymore ..
Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i checked the fuse in the box inside the car under the dash and the fuel pump fuse isnt bad so then i took off the back seat and pulled the pump cover off .. then i turned the key over and i did not hear any sound coming from the pump .. not 100% sure if its a bad pump but i hit it a few times and and tried again and still nothing .. i have an integra ls pump im going to swap out and tomorrow maybe ill get some pressure ??
Old 02-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i purchased a main fuel relay today to see if that was the problem .. i think the next step would be to replace the pump itself if the new ecu dont help out any
Old 02-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 02-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got the car started today .. the main relay wasnt bad .. the steel line wasnt leaking and the ecu wasnt the problem .. i jumped the fuel pump with some wire and a 12v battery started the car and it cranked right over and started .. ran really rough cause the tps wasnt set or anything else but as soon as i unhooked the jumpers from the pump it ran until the fuel was burned up .. the pump just isnt getting power when the key is turned .. could this be because of the connection at the pump itself ..??
Old 02-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got the car started today .. the main relay wasnt bad .. the steel line wasnt leaking and the ecu wasnt the problem .. i jumped the fuel pump with some wire and a 12v battery started the car and it cranked right over and started .. ran really rough cause the tps wasnt set or anything else but as soon as i unhooked the jumpers from the pump it ran until the fuel was burned up .. the pump just isnt getting power when the key is turned .. could this be because of the connection at the pump itself ..??
Whoa whoa whoa....you never said your TPS wasn't set properly
That could be the source of your problem right there!
Get your TPS set right and see if that solves your problem!

But you say no power unless you jump it...hrm, I'd just yank out the old wires to it and run some new ones if you suspect a bad connection
Good luck!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wait so ur tryin to say if my tps isnt set properly the car wont pump fuel to the engine .. ?? thats the stupidest thing ive h ever heard .. my brothers car was an 99 or 00 civic ex with tpr problems .cant tell you how many times he has changed it ,., never once did he have a problem with the fuel or starting the car at any point in time due to his tps sensor .. and never once have i heard of a fuel pump not getting power cause of a sensor not set properly .. thanks for the advise but that just seems dumb to me .. not ruling the possibility out but id have to wait to test my new ecu and set the tps before i can be certain of anything if thats the case
Old 02-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know i read somewhere that if the check engine lights comes on and blinks or the engine light stays on or something that the ecu is bad .. well i dont even have a check engine light on in the first place... please help!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does your check engine light work? (as in comes on and off when you turn the key to the ON position?)
Old 02-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you serious ?? yes when i turn my key on i get my srs light an oil light and the light next to that .. NO CEL .. my srs light does go off after the initial (beeping) of the on position
Old 02-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wait so ur tryin to say if my tps isnt set properly the car wont pump fuel to the engine .. ?? thats the stupidest thing ive h ever heard .. my brothers car was an 99 or 00 civic ex with tpr problems .cant tell you how many times he has changed it ,., never once did he have a problem with the fuel or starting the car at any point in time due to his tps sensor .. and never once have i heard of a fuel pump not getting power cause of a sensor not set properly .. thanks for the advise but that just seems dumb to me .. not ruling the possibility out but id have to wait to test my new ecu and set the tps before i can be certain of anything if thats the case
I know, I kinda corrected myself in my post
I mean it could contribute to the running/dying problem
Or that and the fuel pump being wonky is too much for the motor to keep running so it dies
^^;

Sorry if that came across as silly
Old 02-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are you serious ?? yes when i turn my key on i get my srs light an oil light and the light next to that .. NO CEL .. my srs light does go off after the initial (beeping) of the on position
your check engine light should come on then off. you still haven't answered my question.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i am going to post a video of my cluster tomorrow as i try to start the engine.. i dont believe the CEL comes on then turns off .. so not sure how to answer i just dont think it comes on at all .. i mean i am running a 98 ex 5-speed p2p ecu with only one o2 sensor hooked up ..
Old 02-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok first if you can jump the power and the pump runs i would check ALL fuses to make sure none are blown if so replace with correct amp fuse.if you do not have a blown fuse check the connections going to the rear of the car it could be as simple a corroded ground somewhere.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 912fourtysx
ok first if you can jump the power and the pump runs i would check ALL fuses to make sure none are blown if so replace with correct amp fuse.if you do not have a blown fuse check the connections going to the rear of the car it could be as simple a corroded ground somewhere.

ok people keep saying bad ground .. is the ground u all are talking about is the grounds on the motor that can be taken off or the grounds in the wire harness itself ?? ill check the grounds on the motor tomorrow but everything looked good when it got put in and as for the fuse ill check once again tomorrow but i thought i checked it and it was good .. if im not mistaken it was a blue 15amp fuse

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 civic fuel pressure