Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic - Fluctuating/high engine temperature after heater/cooling system work

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:06 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: temperature guage problem

Is there a manager to speak to or is he the manager? Small claims court if you don't get satisfaction. Let him know that. I have a shop that I go to that gives me excellent service when there's a job I can't do myself.

In the meantime...bleed the air out of the system.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Fluctuating/high engine temperature problem after heater/cooling system work

1) Tell us what car you have.
2) Bleed the cooling system.
3) Pull the CEL codes and then reset the ECU (see FAQs sticky). If the CEL turns on again while driving, then pull the codes again. Post those codes.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Air. In. The. System.

Did we at least check that?
And get an OEM thermostat. That's easy enough to change out your self.
But I would have returned the car to them the minute I had problems.

Also I suggest you learn more about your car. $250 to change a radiator is outrageous. I told my wife how to do it and she did the job in less than 40 minutes.

x2

I changed my civic's radiator in about 30 minutes and ended up costing me like, $85 with new radiator, new rad. cap, new hoses, clamps and transmission hoses.

Also x2 on air, that can cause little issues like this, even after 2 weeks
Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pmp
he has my money though. I'd have to dispute it if he wont fix the problem. The problem aint fixed. He thinks im an idiot. I know a little about cars i know the guage isnt suppose to jump around. Looks like most people in auto mechanics are a fraud. I've never seen an honest shop or mechanic so far.
Doesn't matter what you know even people with knowledge, they will screw you, tell you one price and make excuses to jack up labor etc. after you get the bill you are like %@*.......but don't back tell people they are dicks.

Also, search their business online go to their listing, like yahoo, super pages etc have review sections...........write a bad review, also give them a bad report on the local BBB bureau. People do read these reviews, it will catch up to them.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Air. In. The. System.

Did we at least check that?
AMEN. That is the problem. There is air in the system.

The shop did not do the work correctly. What they did to bleed the system did not work . Air is stuck in the pipes and engine and can not get out. That's why you're getting widely varying temps. You are also in serious danger of overheating the engine and causing a cascade of damage. The thermostat installed is the wrong temperature.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fluctuating/high engine temperature problem after heater/cooling system work

take the radiator cap off, run it until the bubbles stop coming up from the top. fill with more coolant/water until it's full and has no bubbles. the thermostat is wrong but that doesnt mean it should make it run that hot. when a thermostat gets to a certain temp, it stays open.

there is a gas/air bubble in the cooling system blocking flow of coolant through the engine. if you relieve the 1.1 bar psi from the radiator, the air is able to move through and into the atmosphere allowing no blocking in the system.

do that, it's easy as hell.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Will_GT90
x2

I changed my civic's radiator in about 30 minutes and ended up costing me like, $85 with new radiator, new rad. cap, new hoses, clamps and transmission hoses.

Also x2 on air, that can cause little issues like this, even after 2 weeks
what does a transmission hose have to do with a radiator?
Old 01-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Humphrizzle
what does a transmission hose have to do with a radiator?
Auto civic radiator have 2 trans lines at the bottom.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

never had a automatic civic. good to know. just curious.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:23 PM
pmp
Honda-Tech Member

Is there a manager to speak to or is he the manager? Small claims court if you don't get satisfaction. Let him know that. I have a shop that I go to that gives me excellent service when there's a job I can't do myself.

In the meantime...bleed the air out of the system.
my friend is gonna bleed it for me on tuesday he said. The guy i talked to is the owner its a small family owned shop.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:24 PM
pmp
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
1) Tell us what car you have.
2) Bleed the cooling system.
3) Pull the CEL codes and then reset the ECU (see FAQs sticky). If the CEL turns on again while driving, then pull the codes again. Post those codes.
the codes r the po740 that i know about. its a 98 civic
Old 01-22-2012, 02:29 PM
pmp
Honda-Tech Member

take the radiator cap off, run it until the bubbles stop coming up from the top. fill with more coolant/water until it's full and has no bubbles. the thermostat is wrong but that doesnt mean it should make it run that hot. when a thermostat gets to a certain temp, it stays open.

there is a gas/air bubble in the cooling system blocking flow of coolant through the engine. if you relieve the 1.1 bar psi from the radiator, the air is able to move through and into the atmosphere allowing no blocking in the system.

do that, it's easy as hell.
what do u mean 1.1 bar from the radiator
Old 01-22-2012, 02:31 PM
The Grumpiest

1.1 bar of PSI (pressure).
Old 01-22-2012, 02:33 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by pmp
my friend is gonna bleed it for me on tuesday he said. The guy i talked to is the owner its a small family owned shop.
OMG. With the diagram I posted you cannot bleed the air out of the system on your own? You could have done it already!!!! My wife can bleed her own cooling system for chrissakes! Why come and ask for tech advice if you're not capable of doing even the simplest of things?
Old 01-22-2012, 03:02 PM
pmp
Honda-Tech Member

OMG. With the diagram I posted you cannot bleed the air out of the system on your own? You could have done it already!!!! My wife can bleed her own cooling system for chrissakes! Why come and ask for tech advice if you're not capable of doing even the simplest of things?
sorry i didnt see the link at first. Ill have to do it on tuesday. Its already dark here now and i have work and school tomorrow. Do I wait on the thermostat?

Wait you know something they didnt bleed it. I remember watching them install it and they just installed it and backed it up and that was it. They just waited with the car running to make sure the fans cycle they said. I even asked him to test drive the car to make sure everything was alright and he said "not at the price I quoted you"
Old 01-22-2012, 03:08 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by pmp
Wait you know something they didnt bleed it.
That's what we've been telling you all day.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take the friggin radiator cap off and run it for 15 minutes. add coolant until full, put back on cap.

SYSTEM IS BLED. i dont understand what the problem is.

the thermostat is fine for now. it will just open later than it should at oem spec. but it's not going to break your engine. but running with air in the system will. do it.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bleed

Stop driving the car until you fix the damn air in the system problem. You risk your head gasket and motor every time you take it out. There is little to no water in the cooling passages around the engine.

Also, it is difficult to impossible to bleed the car on a flat surface just running the engine and watching for bubbles.

What worked for me was putting the car on a step incline with the radiator meaningfully above the rest of the engine. Large bubbles immediately began gurgling out. That did not happen on a flat surface. A good mechanic has a funnel shaped reservoir that installs on the radiator cap and holds about a quart of coolant. By squeezing the supply hoses and refilling the device, you eventually can bleed on a flat surface.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take the friggin radiator cap off and run it for 15 minutes. add coolant until full, put back on cap.

SYSTEM IS BLED. i dont understand what the problem is.
Not on a flat surface its not. No way.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pmp
the codes r the po740 that i know about. its a 98 civic
That's an automatic transmission code. Was the transmission swapped? Reset the ECU to see whether the same codes returns.

Bleed the cooling system!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

done it before... it's better on an inclined surface but it's better than nothing.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:08 PM
pmp
Honda-Tech Member

does it matter if the car is cold or warm? So put it on a flat surface?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pmp
does it matter if the car is cold or warm? So put it on a flat surface?
Yes, it matters. The thermostat must open to allow water to flow to the radiator, so operating temps, not cold.

Humphrizzle and I just pointed out that inclined is better. Humphrizzle had it work out on flat, but he's probably better at this than you are and knows what to look for. Get your car on a steep incline, radiator high, squeeze the top hose repeatedly and you're going to see bubbles (it brings hot water [in your case-air]from the engine to the top of the radiator). Burp the radiator. It could take another quart or more of coolant.

If you're able to do this, you've solved the problem.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would switch out to oem thermostat...so many aftermarket thermostats do not even open when an OEM is already FULLY opened.

ive bled coolant a lot of times and always done it on a flat surface without any problems. Doing it on an incline sounds smart though, i'll try that next time.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pmp
he has my money though. I'd have to dispute it if he wont fix the problem. The problem aint fixed. He thinks im an idiot. I know a little about cars i know the guage isnt suppose to jump around. Looks like most people in auto mechanics are a fraud. I've never seen an honest shop or mechanic so far.
Dont blame all for one...just because u seemed to have made poor choices for mechanics doesnt mean that all mechanics are bad

Quick Reply: 98 Civic - Fluctuating/high engine temperature after heater/cooling system work