Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic EX Motor Clicking Sounds When Turning Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic EX Motor Clicking Sounds When Turning Wheel

Hi everyone I have a bone stock D16Y8 and a sudden clicking sound started happening. It only happens when I turn the steering wheel, coming from somewhere on the motor but can't seem to figure out where it is coming from.

Already checked if it was my valves but they are perfectly fine.

Sounds like a rock getting stuck between the threads of your tire.

Help would be appreciated!

Here is a video of what it sounds like!

Last edited by TLAPhotography; 08-23-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: 98 Civic EX Motor Clicking Sounds When Turning Wheel

Is it when you turn the wheel and are in motion? If so your axle(s) are popping and are bad
Old 08-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Is it when you turn the wheel and are in motion? If so your axle(s) are popping and are bad
When the car is just parked, I guess when I turn the wheel the idle changes and it clicks a lot then stops, turn the wheel again and happens again then stops
Old 08-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TLAPhotography
When the car is just parked, I guess when I turn the wheel the idle changes and it clicks a lot then stops, turn the wheel again and happens again then stops
Check your power steering fluid level. Do not use any PS fluid from the auto parts store, even if it says it is compatible, it is actually not compatible with Honda. Buy only Genuine Honda power steering fluid from a dealer or something.

I've ""fixed"" power steering systems by simply flushing them out and adding Genuine Honda PS fluid.

Anyway, might want to also look at the tie rods and tie rod ends. Those things are attached to the wheel hub and push the wheel in and out. The tie rod ends should have a small rubber boot over them and are packed with grease. If the boot ruptures, it can eventually fail.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TripleLude
Check your power steering fluid level. Do not use any PS fluid from the auto parts store, even if it says it is compatible, it is actually not compatible with Honda. Buy only Genuine Honda power steering fluid from a dealer or something.

I've ""fixed"" power steering systems by simply flushing them out and adding Genuine Honda PS fluid.

Anyway, might want to also look at the tie rods and tie rod ends. Those things are attached to the wheel hub and push the wheel in and out. The tie rod ends should have a small rubber boot over them and are packed with grease. If the boot ruptures, it can eventually fail.
Hmm, I've checked my PS Fluid and its a bit below the 2nd mark and checked my tie rods and they look perfectly fine, I feel like a belt probably is stretched or snapped? Here's a video of what the problem sounds like.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fill the fluid level to the top mark. It may well be damaged already, but give it a whirl.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TripleLude
Fill the fluid level to the top mark. It may well be damaged already, but give it a whirl.
Just did it and still occurs, Me and my dad decided to take one of the spark plug cable off and the clicking sound is all there, is it because a bad wires or cap?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TLAPhotography
Just did it and still occurs, Me and my dad decided to take one of the spark plug cable off and the clicking sound is all there, is it because a bad wires or cap?
WTF?! how do you get from noise when turning the steering wheel left and right to bad spark plug wires?

The noise only happens when you turn the steering wheel, if you cant find the noise from above the engine, put the car up on all 4 jack stands, and get under it and look for the noise. Does it happen when the car is off? if not, my guess is a bad the power steering pump, if it does it still, check suspension parts. but always start with the cheap/free things to check and work your way up. Seriously, bad wires?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After watching the video again, it sounds like a belt hitting plastic. again, we're not there so we cant 100% determine the issue.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it click in only one direction or both when your turn the wheel?
As HondaPartsHero stated it could be one of your CV axles. Could be your timing belt hitting the belt cover, but that would be a constant noise and not just when you turn the wheel.