Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic EX - lost power steering after I changed out headlight bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic EX - lost power steering after I changed out headlight bulbs

power steering has worked fine since ive had the car. needed to change out headlight bulbs today, and i had to move the power steering res/hose up and out of the way a few inches to get to the drivers bulb (didnt disconnect anything) and now the pump is making a light metal on metal noise and the power steering doesnt work. has adequate fluid, and theres no leaks.

i dont get it, what could have happened?
Old 01-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default re: 98 Civic EX - lost power steering after I changed out headlight bulbs

What type of Ford do you drive?

Also post pictures of the hoses you moved. How did you move them?
Old 01-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: 98 Civic EX - lost power steering after I changed out headlight bulbs

1998 honda civic ex, 5spd, d16y8. i simply moved the resevoir up a few inches out of it's retaing slot, and pushed back on the black hose so i could fit my hand in there to remove the HL bulb.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:16 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why is there fluid all over the place? That should have not happened.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do I see some fluid splatter on the reservoir? How'd that happen?

Your picture doesn't give a clear view of the PS hoses. Post multiple pictures showing all the PS hoses from different angles.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Why is there fluid all over the place? That should have not happened.
Agreed look for a leak or low fluid.

Or over filled fluid
Old 01-10-2015, 04:19 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes. Inspect that you didn't knock a hose loose or kink one up.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Civic EX - lost power steering after I changed out headlight bulbs

Is the PS belt contaminated with fluid and now slipping on the pulleys?
Old 01-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Civic EX - lost power steering after I changed out headlight bulbs

that fluid was from after the fact. it was slighlty low, so i added a bit, and it puked some out when i was going lock to lock trying to work any air out.

it is dark now, so i cant get any good pics, but when i started it and hear the noice, noticed the steering was tough, i looked all around. no signs of a leak.

it was literally perfectly fine before i BARELY moved the res out of the way
Old 01-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Is the PS belt contaminated with fluid and now slipping on the pulleys?
Originally Posted by thaddeus
that fluid was from after the fact. it was slighlty low, so i added a bit, and it puked some out when i was going lock to lock trying to work any air out.

it is dark now, so i cant get any good pics, but when i started it and hear the noice, noticed the steering was tough, i looked all around. no signs of a leak.

it was literally perfectly fine before i BARELY moved the res out of the way
^^^ no. i'm puzzled
Old 01-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i added a bit, and it puked some out when i was going lock to lock trying to work any air out.
Sounds like a hose is pinched. And are you sure no fluid puked on the belt and pulley?
Old 01-10-2015, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Sounds like a hose is pinched. And are you sure no fluid puked on the belt and pulley?
positive. however, i will double check everything tomorrow. so i only moved the res around. there are two hose connected to the res, correct? one coming into the bottle from the steering side, and the one going from the bottle to the pump. now that hose i did have to move/bend to get my hand down there, but its a short hose. i visually inspected it afterwards and it looks normal, no bends or kinks.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-10-2015, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for that. See I'm thinking an air bubble, or I loosened some crud and now that short black low pressure hose going from the res to the pump is restricting enough fluid to enter the pump. Going to pull the bottle and that hose and clean them out and go from there.

Thanks for the ideas fellas
Old 01-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Thanks for that. See I'm thinking an air bubble, or I loosened some crud and now that short black low pressure hose going from the res to the pump is restricting enough fluid to enter the pump. Going to pull the bottle and that hose and clean them out and go from there.

Thanks for the ideas fellas
I think I would've been inspecting hoses by now instead of waiting on replies, seeing as how ps fluid spill all over the place I'd say something kinked with a big airpocket......dunno...just gotta inspect.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that fluid...was slighlty low, so i added a bit, and it puked some out when i was going lock to lock trying to work any air out.
Maybe you didn't adequately bleed the system, though it's unclear how air ever got in the system unless the fluid was lower than you thought.

In my opinion, it's best to bleed the system with the front end raised on jacks.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
I think I would've been inspecting hoses by now instead of waiting on replies, seeing as how ps fluid spill all over the place I'd say something kinked with a big airpocket......dunno...just gotta inspect.
It did not puke fluid until I put more in there. I suppose I overfilled it.

I discovered the problem, said to myself maybe I'll top it off to the full mark and that'll fix it. Then it puked a little out. It's dark and cold as **** out now.

I'm going to remove the res clean it and the low pressure hose tomorrow then I'll follow up with you guys
Old 01-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All fixed. Guessing air bubble or junk impeding flow.

Thanks gents