Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic EX Engine Swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic EX Engine Swap questions

I have a 98 Civic EX 4D MT that needs a new engine. An exhaust valve in the #4 seems to have blown a seal. Its been burning oil for about a year so I am not exactly surprised.

I looked around for engines and I have found a few but they seem expensive. One was $1500 but included a transmission. $1200ish seem to be the going rate for good looking engines. I have found a few sketchy looking ones for $700ish. One of the better ones is an automatic.

I have found a few wrecked cars with motors that look pretty good. The best looking ones are automatics. I have a manual and I want to keep it a manual.

So my questions:

1 - Any recommendations on where to find a good D16Y8 that I might have missed?

2 - Can I put the engine from any automatic into my Civic?

3 - I had just replaced all the belts including the timing belt, the distributer, solenoid, and water pump on my Civic. What can't I/should I move from the old engine to the new one?

EDIT: 4 - Is it worth trying to replace the head? I got advice that putting a new head on different block runs the risk of them not being compatible and blowing things up.

Anything else I need to know? This is the first time I have ever tried something this complex. Prior to this the most i have done is replace my clutch and fly wheel. I have access to a lift, tools and some experts so I think I will be ok but any additional advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rob S; 01-26-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:21 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 98 Civic EX Engine Swap questions

Serious question: Why replace the motor when you can just pull the head and fix the problem for a LOT cheaper? Even if you need to do a complete overhaul, with machine work you can have essentially a brand new motor for less than $1200. Like, well less. You can get a complete rebuild kit with oversized pistons on Amazon for ~$350 (remember though, you get what you pay for). Another maybe $200 for machine shop work (pressing off old pistons and new pistons back on, hone, clean, and disassembly) and a weekend of turning wrenches, and there ya go. Hell, you can even download the FSM, and that has a great, detailed step-by-step for how to do it. My build thread is with a different motor, but the procedure is extremely similar.

If you really want to trust a replacement motor, though, then find a local junk yard that has a start up guarantee. Alternatively, Specializing in JDM-USDM Engines & Parts...hmotorsonline.com is the go-to last I checked for engine importers. Give them a call, and they should be able to get you either a Y8, or a replacement for the Y8 (although I don't see a listing for anything right now, but online stores aren't always current when it comes to stuff like this).

Yes, you can use an autotragic motor. Just use your original intake manifold and sensors.

The only belt that you really shouldn't re-use is the timing belt. It's cheap, it's mission critical, and when you install it, it stretches. Could you get away with reusing it? Yeah, probably. Is it worth risking it over a $50 belt? Hell no.

Download the FSM. It might seem like a complex thing to do, but Honda motors really are dead simple to overhaul. Just take your time, be precise, and RTFM.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Serious question: Why replace the motor when you can just pull the head and fix the problem for a LOT cheaper?
um...no reason except I didnt know it was an option. Im assuming I would need a rebuild kit, new head and possibly some machine work. Sound right?

Ill have to find out if there is a machine shop locally that will do the work.

I think the biggest obstacle is lack of technical knowledge. I would have a hard time explaining to the shop what I wanted done but I assume they would know in general.

Build Thread
- um where do I find that?

Really appreciate the advice.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:34 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't need a new head, unless something is severely damaged. Valve stem seals, yes. Valve guides, maybe. Valves, maybe. Even if you need to completely rebuild your head, though, you'll still come in a lot cheaper than $1200. If you want to go down that route, we can tell you what you need to tell the machine shop, and help you figure out what you can do yourself to save some money if necessary.

You can see my build thread here. I tried to keep the first post organized with links to each individual part of the build. I rebuilt a B series engine though, with upgraded internals, so the steps won't be exactly the same (since you have a D series, and I'm assuming you want to stick with stock'ish internals), but you can read and see roughly what it'll take to do it.

As long as you have an eye for precision, it really isn't nearly as difficult as it might seem.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:00 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Pull the head off and drop it at a machine shop and have them go thru it.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Serious question: Why replace the motor when you can just pull the head and fix the problem for a LOT cheaper? Even if you need to do a complete overhaul, with machine work you can have essentially a brand new motor for less than $1200. Like, well less. You can get a complete rebuild kit with oversized pistons on Amazon for ~$350 (remember though, you get what you pay for). Another maybe $200 for machine shop work (pressing off old pistons and new pistons back on, hone, clean, and disassembly) and a weekend of turning wrenches, and there ya go. Hell, you can even download the FSM, and that has a great, detailed step-by-step for how to do it.
Hell a Y5/Y8 rebuild kit including New Oil Pump & Timing belt kit can be had on RockAuto for $313 + s/h. Also much much cheaper than $1,200. You can specify the size on the internals too. If you don't want to buy the timing belt kit & oil pump it can be had for as little as $227

Add that plus machine work and some wrench turning like NARC said and you're good to go. PM me if you want a link to the FSM.