Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you guys think?

ive got a 98 EJ8 its all stock except for a CAI that i just put on... what mods should i put on it? im looking for visual stuff first but if you wanna suggest anything else thats fine. Im doing the car with all blue accent stuff. ill post a picture later right now im at work. Also im working with a low budget so keep that in mind.

pics as promised

some suggestions? other than obviously rims.

too ricer?

Apexi N1 exhaust... im striping the black and re-chroming it, i got it from a friend who painted it black

Modified by DOUBLExDEUCEx22 at 9:47 AM 8/5/2008

Modified by DOUBLExDEUCEx22 at 9:49 AM 8/5/2008

Modified by DOUBLExDEUCEx22 at 9:49 AM 8/5/2008
Old 08-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 98 civic EX (DOUBLExDEUCEx22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOUBLExDEUCEx22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive got a 98 EJ8 its all stock except for a CAI that i just put on... what mods should i put on it? im looking for visual stuff first but if you wanna suggest anything else thats fine. Im doing the car with all blue accent stuff. ill post a picture later right now im at work. Also im working with a low budget so keep that in mind. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The only mods you should do if you don't plan on boosting or swapping is a decent header and catback exhaust.

No need to spend a grand between the two. An cheap header and a good exhaust would be just fine.

I wouldn't recommend spending 350 dollars on a "good" header, because you won't notice any differences on a stock Y8 between that an a 60 dollar ebay header. Though with an exhaust, seeing as they can rot out and all, I would go with a good brand, like skunk2, apex`'i, etc.

EDIT:
Oh, didn't read the part where you're on a low budget.

If you're on a low budget:
- Ebay header
- Axleback exhaust

Why? Because bolt-ons on a Y8 aren't going to give you jack-**** in terms of power, so you might as well go cheap on them, and as far as the exhaust goes, a full catback isn't worth it, especially if you're on a budget.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 civic EX (Syndacate)

will i still get the sound out of an axle back? i thought to get the good sound a catback is the way to go.. i dont want it that loud just the "tuner" sound.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOUBLExDEUCEx22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will i still get the sound out of an axle back? i thought to get the good sound a catback is the way to go.. i dont want it that loud just the "tuner" sound.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, you'll get the sound, just not the "full performance" of a catback.

Though untuned on a D16Y8 a catback exhaust is only going to net you ~5hp at the wheels anyway, so it's stupid to spend a lot on it, especially if you're on a budget.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what if i just went with a new muffler.. just cruising ebay i didnt see any 98 civic 2dr axlebacks..but i know i could find a 3" or a 3 1/2" muffler.. will that give me good sound?

Old 08-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOUBLExDEUCEx22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what if i just went with a new muffler.. just cruising ebay i didnt see any 98 civic 2dr axlebacks..but i know i could find a 3" or a 3 1/2" muffler.. will that give me good sound?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're talking about just a tip, then yeah, it gives you the sound.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright thanks ... anybody have any other suggestions?
Old 08-01-2008, 04:52 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a '98 EX coupe and kept with stock exhaust and header and intake. There's really no need to replace them unless you want to or there's damage to it (even then, I replaced mine with stock muffler and a stainless b pipe).

Even though it's mechanically stock, I love my car.

Take your time modifying your car and only do what you like. Don't worry about what anyone else wants.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

update: just bought some tailights at a car swap meet for 20 bucks... you may call them "ricer" but i like em. And i was extremely close to buying a skunk2 catback exhaust for 50$.. i know it seems like a deal you cant pass up but it was missing the segement of piping that went from the mufller and up over the axle... everythign else was there.. i just dont have the resources to get the metal bent and welded.. since stainless steel is harder to weld... ill post pics of the civic tonight
Old 08-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would put a 2000 Si front end, I have it on my 98 Ex looks sick. You can find the full front end for a good deal I bought mine for $200
Old 08-03-2008, 11:51 PM

you can have a DIY turbo for less than $1000. I have an EJ8 and imo its not worth the money with IHE cause you wont gain much.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Muuugen)

bump
Old 08-05-2008, 09:57 AM

get some springs. IMO that year civic looks ridiculous with the stock springs, esp with bigger wheels, and lowering it and getting some suspension tie bars would REALLY cut down on the body roll. I have a 98 ex thats stock and compared to my lowered 94 I feel like its 12 feet in the air.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kkilo)

yeah but i think its gonna look bad with it lowered and stock rims... so idk... by looking at these pics... im not really feeling the taillight.. i think im gonna get some black altezza's off of ebay.. chrome taillights are too ricer-ish
Old 08-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Forget buy parts right know, from what i saw in your engine bay, i would start getting rid of all that rust
Old 08-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rpared01)

yeah i wanna clean that up too but how hard will it be to find all the specific parts that are rusted?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, paint the wipers back to black. Change tail lights to 99-00, f&r lips, tint, etc. Just browse around.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ8freek)

will 99-00 tail lights fit right or will i have to modify them?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:14 PM
H-T White Ops

Replace the wipers with normal wipers. A lot of autoparts stores won't sell those type anymore because of their tendency to fly off the car. Matte black the wiper arms too (I see flecks of missing paint).

Clean the outside of your headlights.

Detail the car. Use black dye (not paint) to make the trim look brand new.

Go over your fluids, and clean and/or lube up anything that might need it (window tracks, antenna, door hinges, etc.).

Remove the sticker in the window.

Replace the taillights with stock. Even '99-'00 would look better, though I personally would prefer to see the '96-'98 ones back on there. All '96-'00 Civic coupe taillights fit the same.

Get rid of the filter stick and replace with stock air box (imo) or a name brand intake which won't shake around and damage parts of the engine bay.

Clean the engine bay. It looks like this might mean a few brackets might want to be replaced if you want it perfect.

That should leave it a lot better looking.

I'd prefer to see stock exhaust go back on it, but I understand a lot of peopel today like loud exhaust.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

yeah i know that 96-00 fit the same i just didnt know the 99-00 were differant than 96-98...im doing the whole car in blue accent stuff (mainly interior) thats the reason for the wiper blades.. and theyre on solid. the stick is a R.I.P sticker of my best friend who died in a car accident three years ago.. so id like to keep that and im getting some smoked tail lights... not fully smoked but i dont really like the chrome on the black paint. too ricer-ish. ill take your advice with the black dye. it needs some touch up. and im going to work on the engine bay tonight after work. and i was also planning on painting the wiper arms..

i think i covered everyting you recomended. i kinda jumped around though

EDIT: i knew i forgot something. the CAI its bracketed on so it doesnt rattle.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:27 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (DOUBLExDEUCEx22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOUBLExDEUCEx22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i know that 96-00 fit the same i just didnt know the 99-00 were differant than 96-98...im doing the whole car in blue accent stuff (mainly interior) thats the reason for the wiper blades.. and theyre on solid. the stick is a R.I.P sticker of my best friend who died in a car accident three years ago.. so id like to keep that and im getting some smoked tail lights... not fully smoked but i dont really like the chrome on the black paint. too ricer-ish. ill take your advice with the black dye. it needs some touch up. and im going to work on the engine bay tonight after work. and i was also planning on painting the wiper arms..

i think i covered everyting you recomended. i kinda jumped around though

EDIT: i knew i forgot something. the CAI its bracketed on so it doesnt rattle. </TD></TR></TABLE>
The taillights ('96-'98 and '99-'00) are in this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2278221

You will probably get flak for the blue accents. They're considered (and I'm sure I'll get flak for even telling you) rice.

Here's a link for cleaning headlights btw.
http://www.clubcivic.com/board...95621

Modified by NOFX at 1:40 PM 8/5/2008
Old 08-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get rims and send me one of your hubcaps lol One of mine broke. Redo your valve cover, check my sig I just did mine.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get 00 tails lights, get some minty 96-98 headlights
and turbo your car trust you will be happy and suprised at what cars you could whoopp with ut
Old 08-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (robfrmny21)

im gonna try smoking the tail lights i have and see how that turns out. My Head lights i have now are like yellowed and im not sure if i can just clean them... i think im buying some projector ones anyway.. should i go with the black projectors or the chrome?

Yeah eventaully im going to redo the valve cover idk when ill have time though.

oh and about the blue accent. im not doing like the whole dash kit and radio plate and all that blue just little stuff here and there.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (DOUBLExDEUCEx22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOUBLExDEUCEx22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im gonna try smoking the tail lights i have and see how that turns out. My Head lights i have now are like yellowed and im not sure if i can just clean them... i think im buying some projector ones anyway.. should i go with the black projectors or the chrome?

Yeah eventaully im going to redo the valve cover idk when ill have time though.

oh and about the blue accent. im not doing like the whole dash kit and radio plate and all that blue just little stuff here and there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ugh.

Quick Reply: 98 civic EX