Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98' civic ex AT "jumping" at shifts

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98' civic ex AT "jumping" at shifts

i have a 98 civic ex with 94K miles. the car is in great condition, but it just started to do this thing where it occassionally jumps when it shifts. the rpms will surge up a little, hang there a second, and then kick into the next gear with a little jerk. i know absolutely nothing about automatic transmissions. my first assumption would be the fluid. im going to change that in the next hour and see if that helps. any ideas? thanks.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:18 AM

Default Re: 98' civic ex AT "jumping" at shifts (aws140)

i'd change the fluid first. but it sound to me like a clutch or something internally is wearing out. my old automatic transmission would slip really bad when shifting, but i ended up just swapping to manual.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 98' civic ex AT "jumping" at shifts (kevoweb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kevoweb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd change the fluid first. but it sound to me like a clutch or something internally is wearing out. my old automatic transmission would slip really bad when shifting, but i ended up just swapping to manual. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm, auto's don't have clutches. So I'm not sure how a clutch would "go out" in an auto tranny.

They do have flywheels though. Weird looking ones to boot.

To the OP, sounds like a typical auto tranny to me. It wasn't meant to go fast so it's struggling with high rpms and shifting. It's probably just 98 honda auto tranny technology.

Many auto tranny's jerk when shifting. But, to solve your problem I'm sure getting it flushed and checking the transmission mounts won't hurt and could fix your problem.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98' civic ex AT "jumping" at shifts (ek forever guy)

thanks for the input guys. i just finished putting mobil 1 ATF in it. im about to go drive it and see how it does. its my girlfriends daily driver so it isnt raced or anything. i never sees high rpms. she babys the heck out of it.

also, when i pulled the drain plug there was a build up on it. i initially thought it looked like antisieze and was like,"oh ****." after furthure examination though, i dont see any metal flakes in it at all. what could this be?

thanks.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:02 AM

Default Re: 98' civic ex AT "jumping" at shifts (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Umm, auto's don't have clutches. So I'm not sure how a clutch would "go out" in an auto tranny.

They do have flywheels though. Weird looking ones to boot.

To the OP, sounds like a typical auto tranny to me. It wasn't meant to go fast so it's struggling with high rpms and shifting. It's probably just 98 honda auto tranny technology.

Many auto tranny's jerk when shifting. But, to solve your problem I'm sure getting it flushed and checking the transmission mounts won't hurt and could fix your problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think he's referring to the clutch bands. How else would it shift?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 98' civic ex AT "jumping" at shifts (Rainy City)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aws140 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">\
also, when i pulled the drain plug there was a build up on it. i initially thought it looked like antisieze and was like,"oh ****." after furthure examination though, i dont see any metal flakes in it at all. what could this be?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The fluid is probably super old and broke down.

Random carbon buildup etc. etc. Could be a number of things. Flushing the tranny at regular intervals will elminate common build-up.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: 98' civic ex AT "jumping" at shifts (Rainy City)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rainy City &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think he's referring to the clutch bands. How else would it shift? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea actually that was what i was referring to. automatic transmissions have multiple clutches, it's practically all they are. when i say "clutch". i'm not using the word in the sense of a manual transmission.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the mobil 1 did the trick. now it shifts smooth.