Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic CX Windshield Wiper Play

Old 12-09-2008, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic CX Windshield Wiper Play

I am getting abou 2 to 3 inches of play in my wipe blades. This causes the blades to slap the bottom or top. The blades will also stop short of the bottom and/or top at times. Not sure if the motor or some other part needs to be replaced.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Linkage, stripped bolts, loose wiper nuts or the wiper arms have been moved would be my guess.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:30 AM

The nuts holding the wiper arms are tight. The play is behind the cover panel. Not sure if the motor is the problem or some other connection arm.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:40 PM
H-T White Ops

I can't see it being the motor. I'd suspect something with the linkage perhaps.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:35 AM

Default Windshield wiper extra play 98 Civic

The local honda shop tells me the transmission is bad. They want $240 to replace the parts. I have looked at the part on a web site. Not sure what all needs to be replaced. Help.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

list price from honda for the part is like $150, and it calls for a 1 hour labor...so with an hour labor(depending on the labor rate)plus parts, plus diag...$240 seems pretty fair...
Old 12-17-2008, 06:59 AM

Default Windshield wiper extra play 98 Civic

Honda Parts Unlimited has the packaged parts for $110. The number is 76530-S04-G01 (Link, FR. Wiper). New clips may also be needed for the cover. Not sure if this part number will include all necessary parts to fix the problem or is there only 1 or 2 parts that need to be replaced. Instead of paying the dealer to fix it, it appears to be straight forward and I can do this myself.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:29 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by gene.rye
The local honda shop tells me the transmission is bad. They want $240 to replace the parts. I have looked at the part on a web site. Not sure what all needs to be replaced. Help.
I replaced mine for $25 (motor from eBay) plus ~$3 for a replacement for the middle clip (from Honda) from the wiper cowl. The middle clip is a real bear to get out because the hole is shaped differently and tighter than the other holes.

I don't know what they mean by wiper transmission... It's a wiper and linkage.

Here's how I fixed mine. It's pretty simple. Might have taken an hour tops, had we not put the linkage on backwards at first. lol

Remove the nuts from the base of the wiper arms. Lift the wiper up and shimmy it back and forth gently to remove the arm from the car. Set them aside, making note which goes on which side.

Pop all the clips off of the wiper cowl. Remove the wiper cowl. You will want to pop the hood to remove the cowl.

There will be nuts holding the linkage in the car. Remove them and unplug the motor. Lift the wiper and motor out as one.

Mark the linkage and motor with a marker so you will know where to mount the linkage up again. The linkage can move fairly easily, so you'll want to mark it so you can put it back in place correctly.

If you are replacing the linkage, before you take anything else apart or move anything, pose the linkage like the one from the car.

Remove the motor from the linkage. Replace the broken part.

Installation is the reverse.

If the wipers try to wipe nowhere and then clunk (it's trying to go down), the linkage and motor are matched reverse. Separate them and put it back in place correctly.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. Sorry if I missed anything little. I'm writing this from memory.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:22 PM

Default 98 Civic CX Windshield Wiper Play

Thanks for the instructions. The motor appears to be fine. I am not sure what parts on the linkage are worn. I could have purchased the parts separately but opted to buy the entire unit less the motor and wiper arms. The clips next to the windshield look easy to pop out. The others that also hold the rubber seal look a little harder. The mechanic at the dealer told me to use pliers and pinch them to allow the clips to come out. Just in case, I have also purchased replacements. Hope this works. Can't get to it until after New Years. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clips holding the rubber are a b*tch to get out, I broke all but one of them, trying to figure out how to get them out
Old 01-05-2009, 06:35 AM

Default Re: 98 Civic CX Windshield Wiper Play

Got the new transmission for the wipers. Remove the cover and was able to get all the clips out without breaking them. Removed the motor and transmission. After inspecting the old transmission and comparing it with the new one, I determined that the only thing wrong with the old transmission was the plastic cap that attaches the transmision to the motor was broken and was allowing the play in the wipers. I wound up replacing the entire unit since I could not return it. If anyone needs a transmission that still works fine (minus the $7 cap), let me know. It can be purchased for a cheap price compared to a new one.