Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 hx head trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 hx head trouble

SO i purchased this car from a buddy 2 yrs ago, he had head decked/milled flat and put it back together, the car overheated again due to radiator issue and had it milled again, was told it took 2mil out each time? Last week or so the car started pushing coolant out of the car via the radiator overflow. Assumed it was an overpressure issue, did some hose changes, thermostat and flushed cooling system. While i had it idle there were some large bubbles coming out of the engine, revved the engine a little and a 1 foot plume of water came out the fill neck (rad cap off). Was told head gasket is shot.

I am about to put a new gasket on it, not sure it will take another milling and was curious what other head was able to be bolted on this engine without any major/pricy parts being purchased. 1997 honda hx bone stock

help is very appreciated, I could not find a link or compatibility list and im going to hit a pull and pay this week.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 97 hx head trouble

Cut your losses and shop for a replacement engine.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Cut your losses and shop for a replacement engine.
X2
Old 05-05-2015, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok it was said I could bolt any D series and retain use of my axles and trans. I have not had a lot of luck finding d series locally, just b series. Im severely strapped for cash right now
Old 05-05-2015, 12:45 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your car has a manual transmission, yes, any 92-00 D series engine will drop right in, and with the matching ECU, go. You're in Cincinnati? 513 942 6600. Midwest Motor Depot. Call them, and ask if they have either a D16Y5, D16Y8, D16A, or D16Z6. If they have a D16Y5, that's your direct match. If they have a Y8 or A, you'll want the engine, as well as a P2P ECU. If they have a Z6, you'll want that, as well as a P28 ECU, and you'll need to get an adapter harness from somewhere (they're all over eBay for like, $20-$30), and you'll need to do some fiddling with a few wires. All easy work to do.

This is all assuming you don't live in one of the funny counties with smog testing.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Compression test the motor first atleast. Could just be a bad waterpump.

Is there coolant in the oil? Are you warming up the car with the heater on and radiator cap off to burp the system?
Old 05-06-2015, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bad waterpump would not overpressureize the system cant turn faster than the motor even when going bad.

Notaracist, i was over there last night with a buddy dropping equipment to them and all he has is a non vtec motor he said would drop in but leave me with a check engine light without changing the brain out.

right now ohio does not have smog/emission testing
Old 05-06-2015, 04:40 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So swap in a Y7, get a 96-98 P2E ECU, re-run your IACV wires, and call it a day. Easy solution.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

help me out a lil, is the y7 just the head? what is involved in re running the iacv wires?

Im down as long as it gives me a reliable car.

just priced ecu's $450 ea new a lil steep
Old 05-06-2015, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont mean to sound completely helpless, mechanically i can do anything needed, i just need the terminology and details
Old 05-06-2015, 09:51 AM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aside from buying a whole new engine for something so small, I have a suggestion that may sound completely off the wall, but it's so crazy it may just work.

Go to a mechanic, a real bonafide mechanic with experience in fixing things rather than replacing them. Have this mechanic check your car to find the real issue. It could be something as simple as a piece of thermostat gasket lodged in a heater hose, a bad water pump, or even a radiator cap. Worst case scenario it ends up being the head gasket again. Let this real mechanic fix the head gasket for less than the price of an engine replacement and be on your way.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by slomofo
Aside from buying a whole new engine for something so small, I have a suggestion that may sound completely off the wall, but it's so crazy it may just work.

Go to a mechanic, a real bonafide mechanic with experience in fixing things rather than replacing them. Have this mechanic check your car to find the real issue. It could be something as simple as a piece of thermostat gasket lodged in a heater hose, a bad water pump, or even a radiator cap. Worst case scenario it ends up being the head gasket again. Let this real mechanic fix the head gasket for less than the price of an engine replacement and be on your way.
Agreed 100%

An over pressurized system could mean anything. My car would spew coolant when I had an air bubble in the system.

does the car have white smoke out of the tail pipe?

Is there brownish milk shake on the oil cap?

The reason they are telling you to swap the engine is because you seem to lack any skills to trouble shoot the problem yourself. If you couldn't sense their sarcasm I can't help you learn to Internet or use the search function
Old 05-06-2015, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

MY INABILITY to troubleshoot... for ******* real!

ill take your **** advise and "Burp" the engine, which is exactly what i was doing if your reading comprehension is anything past a 5th grader. I DESCRIBED running the engine cap off and bubbles/coolant was pushing out.

im assuming they are telling me to dip the engine due to the engine overheating 3x, the head being milled 2x and the car being 18yrs old and prob has a warped block. NOT the fact that i cant troubleshoot you ****.

overpressurized system could mean anything?

Well it could mean i dont have flow past a thermostat, but i troubleshot that idea myself and replaced the above described housing, thermostat, most of hoses and coolant.

I wish the internet had filters for ppl that dont know **** and post that **** as fact. You prob wouldnt see your ideas out there much but it'd help the masses.

And to address the BONAFIDE mechanic, I may not be a car guy, diesel guy or aviation guy but I have sportbikes pretty well covered. If I assumed I knew everything there is to know I'd spend more time on the internet peddling bad advise and wrong info
Old 05-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

OP - Personal attacks on members attempting to provide helpful advice is a guaranteed recipe for thread closure. Please read the forum Rules sticky.