Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 honda civic dx bad idle/engine bog

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 10:11 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 97 honda civic dx bad idle/engine bog

Hi techs,

I have a 97 Ek stock motor with just an intake and header with catback exhaust. 10 years ago when I installed my header, it only had one O2 sensor plug for it and I only ran one o2 sensor. Recently for 3-4 months my car has been bogging here and there but within the last month it has been getting really bad. My check engine has always been on since I only ran one O2 sensor. When it started bogging badly, I took it in to OReillys and scanned the codes. I was getting cylinder 2 and 4 misfire. Do any of you think my O2 sensor running only one can cause this issue? or is it something else? I haven't done a plug wire and rotor tune up for maybe 40k miles. When my car starts up cold it runs fine. When its warm, I really notice the bogging and misidle. When in first or second gear and stepping on the gas, low rpm's will almost not accelerate till high rpm and the engine sound is high then it runs fine. It seems like if I run 2nd gear high into the rpm's then 3rd won't feel the engine bog. If I change gear from like 2nd to third in low rpm's then 3rd bogs badly. What could be my problem and how can I start diagnosing this? I don't think just one o2 sensor is my problem since I've ran it like this for over 10 years but my car has always been running rich though due to no 2nd o2 sensor. I can't tell what rpm's the problem really is at because my dx has not tach. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:59 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 97 honda civic dx bad idle/engine bog

First off, let's get this out of the way. You don't have an EK. You have an EJ6. Yes, there is a considerable difference. Second, you're driving around with the CEL on, knowing it's on, and refusing to fix it? Babies need their diapers changed, dogs need to be walked, cats need their litter boxes cleaned, and when your CEL comes on, your car needs to be fixed. That's all there is to it. Now that we have the basic stuff out of the way, no, your car has not been running rich because it doesn't have a secondary O2 sensor. The secondary O2 sensor exists only to verify that the cat is doing it's job. You should get a new catalytic converter welded in, install a secondary O2 sensor, and boom, there's that problem solved.

Start off with a basic tuneup. Use NGK plugs and wires. Use an OEM cap and rotor. Don't even look at those mad tyte JDM y0 yellow rainbow hellaflush wires, or whatever dumb stuff someone tries to sell you. Basic, OEM-specified plugs and wires. Basic, OEM-specified cap and rotor. After you've done that, reset your ECU and see if the problem returns. If it does, then pull your codes again and post the new codes. If it doesn't, then install a proper cat and secondary O2 sensor as I mentioned above, and take care of your car.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 97 honda civic dx bad idle/engine bog

Car starts right up when it's cold but bogs when it is warm could be the engine coolant temp sensor.

But first do a tuneup.