Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 ex tune up questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ex tune up questions

wassup h-t peeps? I'm a lil new to the car thing... i've been an installer at circuit city roadshop for about 7 months now and have learned some good things about electronics. Well I want to do a tune up... and i'm wondering what stuff i should get. My car's at 112,000 miles and i'm sure that the spark plug wires haven't been changed. What type of spark wires and plugs should i get? also what else should i do for my tune up? the oil's been changed recently as well.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also, my car is a daily driver and i'll probably be turbo charging it in the near future.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:54 AM

Default Re: 97 ex tune up questions (perseverance)

oem is best, well best for you in this case. Sounds like your car is probably stock and you don't know much so getting all sorts of high performance parts will probably just make you broke. You can get parts at the dealer or at the autoparts store, both work fine, but the autoparts store won't rape you.

Just go to advance auto or something and tell them you need plugs, and wires for your car, another good idea would be clean or change out the cap and rotor. It's also a good idea to flush your coolant once a year, and brake fluid if you've never done that. Plus you may want to check your brake linings and rotors. Lastly, you can seafoam your engine which is a petroleum based solvent meant to work inside of you engine. You SLOWLY pour it in through the brake booster and it will break up carbon deposits in the engine. I think there may be a how to on it around here somewere, just don't add too much and lock up your motor.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thx a lot man... and you're right... i don't know a lot. all i've done to my car so far is cai,headers,exhaust and my alarm. i'm open to any more ideas. thx
Old 11-15-2006, 10:05 AM

Default Re: (perseverance)

You should check/replace your timing belt at 100k. Since you are overdue for that, I would definitely take a look at that.

Seafoam link 1
Seafoam link 2

-Shane
Old 11-15-2006, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 ex tune up questions (perseverance)

seeing as you don't know squat about engines, you probably need to change that timing belt!!

Like ^^ that guy said, interval is 60k.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:28 PM

Default Re: 97 ex tune up questions ($SD420$)

make sure you do the waterpump when you do the timing belt too. The tensioner is kind of optional, but if you have the extra 50 bucks and the car has 100K on it, then you should definately do it.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 ex tune up questions (JDMFantasy2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFantasy2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oem is best, well best for you in this case. Sounds like your car is probably stock and you don't know much so getting all sorts of high performance parts will probably just make you broke. You can get parts at the dealer or at the autoparts store, both work fine, but the autoparts store won't rape you.

Just go to advance auto or something and tell them you need plugs, and wires for your car, another good idea would be clean or change out the cap and rotor. It's also a good idea to flush your coolant once a year, and brake fluid if you've never done that. Plus you may want to check your brake linings and rotors. Lastly, you can seafoam your engine which is a petroleum based solvent meant to work inside of you engine. You SLOWLY pour it in through the brake booster and it will break up carbon deposits in the engine. I think there may be a how to on it around here somewere, just don't add too much and lock up your motor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

uuuhhh... I think that's a typo. Spray it in your throttle body with engine off if you use the intake cleaner. The carbon cleaner you use with the motor running. OR just read the can

Also change trans fluid(if its a manual), check bushings( control arms, trailing arms, shifter, etc...) look at your axle boots, any kind of leaks. Well most of that obvious just though I was say it anyway.

DONT FORGET WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID
Old 11-15-2006, 07:16 PM

Default Re: 97 ex tune up questions (fasthatchb18c1)

yeah i meant to say take off the hose for the brake booster and grab a small funnel, and while keeping the engine alive pour a little seafoam in at a time.