Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 EJ LsVtec with GsR automatic trans

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 EJ LsVtec with GsR automatic trans

It can and has been done. Obd1 Jdm GsR automatic transmission SP7A with S24A(SiR II B16 auto) LSD, countershaft, mainshaft and sub-shaft; I used the GsR 1st gear because its a bit shorter than the B16. I had to change the ecu to Obd1 P75 auto with obd2 tcu. I already had a Boomslang obd2a-obd1 automatic ecu jumper. I had to integrate the tcu wiring into it. I have a color coded wiring diagram for Obd1 P75 and tcu. It shifts and engages every gear just like it should. I also use Ectune engine management.

Motor:
B16 head
BC springs/retainers
CTR cams
TypeR IM

B18b block
Nippon USDM spec TypeR pistons/rings
Arp rod bolts
Oem Vtec water and oil pump

Toda replica header
high flow cat
no name exhaust that is fairly quiet
Attached Images    

Last edited by EsotericImage; 02-05-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: 97 Ek LsVtec with GsR automatic trans

Care to share?

Also what is that black box near the TCM?
Old 02-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. Different. IDK about B series Auto trans BUT all B series manual trans have the exact same 1st gear. Final drives are what differentiates LS/GSR/ITR
Old 02-05-2015, 11:57 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it's all in there, that's nice. Let's see a video of it running. Plenty of people have come in claiming to have done it, but no one's ever proved it.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Fish Twig

Also did you change the auto shifter from a civic to an integra or did you stick with the civic auto shifter?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Needs to be About 20% Cooler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 97 EJ LsVtec with GsR automatic trans

suscribed for more info as i plan on doing a auto swap too. eather B or K
Old 02-06-2015, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been in a wheelchair since 2003, that's why the "auto madness".

Black box is an ostrich for the Ectune engine management. I need to buy more sticky velcro to secure better. I also have a LC-1 wired into Ecu

Ok, about gearing
LS auto trans I would figure has longer gearing than all of the B series; however I can't prove it because I've never had one taken apart. I have notice over the years that the codes are slightly different, so the/some gears may differ. I have an electronic hydraulic auto B16 from canada, so I know they made one. I'm still waiting to get it back from Level Ten in NJ. When built properly they can handle boost. They obd1 B16 autos can not. I had a fully built 92 Si with a really nice setup, but the trans broke on me 4 times. $5500 total spent on trans, thank you Uncle Pat at Level Ten for warrantying it every time. Trial and error can be costly. The B16s gearing is the best, ecept the GsR 1st gear is shorter. Gsr LSD auto trans are very rare I've only seen 2 in 10yrs. The B16 S24A is more likely to find. Honda used a helical LSD and its very strong, it has never been broken, I had boost up to 21psi ripping the tires up. It has 14 allen bolts vs 10 hex type. Finals are slightly different.

Will get a video and take more pics, need someone to help me with it but will post.

I should've left the original shifter in but I had already butchered out the rusted bolts, so I scraped it. You can use it but you have to notch out a groove for 1st gear with a dremel. The gear position box is the same except D3/D4 need to be switched/unpinned/re-pinned. The shifter from my 94 ex that I had in the 92 Si is what's in the car now. I have both shift interlocks disabled or totally taken out. I'm not sure about integra shift boxes.

I noticed people saying the auto trans don't fit in the frame, I noticed the Ek seemed to have more room the an Eg, even though it still could use a few hammer hits to make sure it clears and doesn't sit on the frame and vibrate. I actually had to make slices and hammer a little more for the same setup to clear the Eg. All the B series auto trans are just about the same size, except added sensors.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by TunersTown
I've been in a wheelchair since 2003, that's why the "auto madness".

Black box is an ostrich for the Ectune engine management. I need to buy more sticky velcro to secure better. I also have a LC-1 wired into Ecu

Ok, about gearing
LS auto trans I would figure has longer gearing than all of the B series; however I can't prove it because I've never had one taken apart. I have notice over the years that the codes are slightly different, so the/some gears may differ. I have an electronic hydraulic auto B16 from canada, so I know they made one. I'm still waiting to get it back from Level Ten in NJ. When built properly they can handle boost. They obd1 B16 autos can not. I had a fully built 92 Si with a really nice setup, but the trans broke on me 4 times. $5500 total spent on trans, thank you Uncle Pat at Level Ten for warrantying it every time. Trial and error can be costly. The B16s gearing is the best, ecept the GsR 1st gear is shorter. Gsr LSD auto trans are very rare I've only seen 2 in 10yrs. The B16 S24A is more likely to find. Honda used a helical LSD and its very strong, it has never been broken, I had boost up to 21psi ripping the tires up. It has 14 allen bolts vs 10 hex type. Finals are slightly different.

Will get a video and take more pics, need someone to help me with it but will post.

I should've left the original shifter in but I had already butchered out the rusted bolts, so I scraped it. You can use it but you have to notch out a groove for 1st gear with a dremel. The gear position box is the same except D3/D4 need to be switched/unpinned/re-pinned. The shifter from my 94 ex that I had in the 92 Si is what's in the car now. I have both shift interlocks disabled or totally taken out. I'm not sure about integra shift boxes.

I noticed people saying the auto trans don't fit in the frame, I noticed the Ek seemed to have more room the an Eg, even though it still could use a few hammer hits to make sure it clears and doesn't sit on the frame and vibrate. I actually had to make slices and hammer a little more for the same setup to clear the Eg. All the B series auto trans are just about the same size, except added sensors.
I feel for you and I encourage you to continue being active in the scene, no matter what you drive. You have your reasons and its more than enough for you. With that being said how were you able to source the automatic lsd? I can't find that anywhere. Having that could probably be a huge plus to the automatics.

It makes sense that you switched your shifter from an eg because it already has the d4, d3, 2, 1 so no need to fiddle with the 96-00 civic shifter. I assumed it be best to fit the integra shifter in there.

You're doing fine with posting pics.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have an electronic hydraulic auto B16 from canada, so I know they made one.
We never got anything here with a B16 automatic here.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool build. In for video.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:56 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by 94EG8
We never got anything here with a B16 automatic here.
I did see a couple sites back then reference canada having a b16a3 automatic, probably the del sol vtec?
Old 02-07-2015, 01:28 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tony_2018
I did see a couple sites back then reference canada having a b16a3 automatic, probably the del sol vtec?
Nope: http://torontohondaparts.com/OrderParts.aspx

As I said, we didn't get B16 automatics, in anything. They certainly existed in Europe (for totally inexplicable reasons, about 90% of the population drives manuals over there) and Japan but never in Canada. If someone told you we did they either lied or were misinformed.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:24 PM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Nope: http://torontohondaparts.com/OrderParts.aspx

As I said, we didn't get B16 automatics, in anything. They certainly existed in Europe (for totally inexplicable reasons, about 90% of the population drives manuals over there) and Japan but never in Canada. If someone told you we did they either lied or were misinformed.
Yeah...probably there spreadsheet was wrong.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The B16 auto would only be for Jdm and Europe models, yes. We get them here through importing, like the companies on the internet. I use Steve at HMO. He sells them for I think $375. S24A is the lsd model, M24A is non-lsd. I've had quite a few, for my Eg that is. They did make an obd2 B16 auto but they are fairly rare. I have one, I got it thru tokyo imports by mistake. I originally had the lsd B16 auto in the Ek with a jumper for the P30 auto ecu. Since my trans at Level 10 is just like an Integra auto, I figured I would do the work now to make it work. I didn't know I would have to use all the shafts for it to work with the lsd out of the B16 auto. But, since the countershafts of the Gsr/B16 have a slightly different design, I had to use the B16 auto's shafts. Wasn't hard, I used the manuals to make sure, but it's pretty straight forward, you don't have to touch the valve body. I have files for the B16 trans, Intergra, Ek, and wiring schematics. I used a B20 auto t-bracket and upper trans bracket. With the Ek shifter, modifying it to shift into a 1st gear position is easy.
Trying to figure out how to shrink video size...
Old 02-08-2015, 04:58 AM
Fish Twig

The obd1 auto b16 can fit in the EJ no problem.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:59 AM
Fish Twig

The B16 auto would only be for Jdm and Europe models, yes. We get them here through importing, like the companies on the internet. I use Steve at HMO. He sells them for I think $375. S24A is the lsd model, M24A is non-lsd. I've had quite a few, for my Eg that is. They did make an obd2 B16 auto but they are fairly rare. I have one, I got it thru tokyo imports by mistake. I originally had the lsd B16 auto in the Ek with a jumper for the P30 auto ecu. Since my trans at Level 10 is just like an Integra auto, I figured I would do the work now to make it work. I didn't know I would have to use all the shafts for it to work with the lsd out of the B16 auto. But, since the countershafts of the Gsr/B16 have a slightly different design, I had to use the B16 auto's shafts. Wasn't hard, I used the manuals to make sure, but it's pretty straight forward, you don't have to touch the valve body. I have files for the B16 trans, Intergra, Ek, and wiring schematics. I used a B20 auto t-bracket and upper trans bracket. With the Ek shifter, modifying it to shift into a 1st gear position is easy.
Trying to figure out how to shrink video size...
Just upload to youtube.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are videos from Friday.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:32 AM
Fish Twig

Not bad not bad.