Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Dx Revs when Brake is Realeased?

Old 03-30-2017, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Dx Revs when Brake is Realeased?

Car: 1997 Honda Civic Dx 5 Spd, stock.
So I just jumped my car and let it warm up and all that and sat in the car ad accidentally pressed the brake while I was putting my feet down. Dx's dont come stock with a rpm gauge but I could clearly hear the engine rev another 2-300 rpms because my hood was still up. After slowly pushing in the brake and letting out a couple times I started increasing the pace and the rpms would go higher and higher (it wasn't red lining or anything but maybe getting up to 1.5-2k). I did some research and a couple people said its normal with a vaccum brake booster? I just wanted to clarify that and see if its true or not. They suggested to put my hand in front of the intake tube and if it kept running that means theres a vaccum leak, should I do that or am I in the clear? Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:38 PM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Re: 97 Dx Revs when Brake is Realeased?

The RPMs are jumping when you release the brake or when you press the brake?
Old 03-30-2017, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CX-Adam
The RPMs are jumping when you release the brake or when you press the brake?
When I release
Old 03-30-2017, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

That is normal, because the brake booster operates on engine vacuum. The air used to "recharge" the power brakes goes into the intake and makes the rpm temporarily increase.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
That is normal, because the brake booster operates on engine vacuum. The air used to "recharge" the power brakes goes into the intake and makes the rpm temporarily increase.
Alright thank you, I was scared to drive to school this morning lol.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:17 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

The ECU is supposed to watch the brake switch signal to compensate for this. Chances are your IACV is just getting slow/laggy with age. Even though the ECU changes the IACV voltage to briefly compensate for the expected fluctuation, the IACV isn't quick enough to react instantly. Of course a new IACV is VERY expensive purchase to attempt fixing such an extremely minor issue.

BTW: While their are cheap Chinese knockoff IACVs out there, most of the big-brand IACVs are just re-boxed OEM Denso units. The Duralast one I purchased at Autozone was an OEM Denso. Even had the OEM Quality-control markings on it. And although the new one I bought was quicker to react than my original, I couldn't justify the high cost so I returned it (plus it didn't change high-idle startup issue). Autozone now offers online-purchase coupons too, so there are deals to be had. And they will always accept those item in return at the local store.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94eg!
The ECU is supposed to watch the brake switch signal to compensate for this. Chances are your IACV is just getting slow/laggy with age. Even though the ECU changes the IACV voltage to briefly compensate for the expected fluctuation, the IACV isn't quick enough to react instantly. Of course a new IACV is VERY expensive purchase to attempt fixing such an extremely minor issue.

BTW: While their are cheap Chinese knockoff IACVs out there, most of the big-brand IACVs are just re-boxed OEM Denso units. The Duralast one I purchased at Autozone was an OEM Denso. Even had the OEM Quality-control markings on it. And although the new one I bought was quicker to react than my original, I couldn't justify the high cost so I returned it (plus it didn't change high-idle startup issue). Autozone now offers online-purchase coupons too, so there are deals to be had. And they will always accept those item in return at the local store.
Alright, I'll look into it. If my issue gets any worse I'll definitely look into getting a new one. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Most people wouldn't notice this effect because when you release the brakes it's almost always followed by hitting the gas anyway.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Most people wouldn't notice this effect because when you release the brakes it's almost always followed by hitting the gas anyway.
Attention to detail I guess...