Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 DX radiator hose removal tips, anyone?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 DX radiator hose removal tips, anyone?!

So I'm getting everything disconnected and removed since my new radiator should be there tomorrow or Wednesday... First time ever doing a radiator but seems pretty self explanatory and was the first 30 minutes. Drained the coolant, got both big (upper/lower) hoses disconnected, moved the reservoir box, moved the ac line for access to the two little lower hoses and moved the clamps and the hoses will not budge. Prying with a screwdriver, pulling with all my might, no budge. Any tips? I'm afraid if I cut them, They'll be stuck on the nipples, especially on the other side where they run over the trans, etc. Here's a diagram, they are 10,11. Thanks again for any help.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:01 PM
20% cooler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 97 DX radiator hose removal tips, anyone?!

Think of it as a chinese finger trap. The more you yank on it the tighter it will get. If you are going to replace the radiator, you may as well cut them off with a sharp razor and spend another $10 on some new hoses.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thenext
Think of it as a chinese finger trap. The more you yank on it the tighter it will get. If you are going to replace the radiator, you may as well cut them off with a sharp razor and spend another $10 on some new hoses.
Yeah I was just now contemplating that... I have sharp razors at work that would just splice them down the side and I already have to go to Honda to pick up a cam seal for my hatch.. Do you know what those hoses go to? I suppose I could just point at them on their parts diagram like I always do, lol.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99civ
Yeah I was just now contemplating that... I have sharp razors at work that would just splice them down the side and I already have to go to Honda to pick up a cam seal for my hatch.. Do you know what those hoses go to? I suppose I could just point at them on their parts diagram like I always do, lol.

Yes, just have them look them up for you, if they are old might as well replace them.

As for getting off the old ones, you might want to try twisting and pulling twist a little and pull and keep doing it until it comes off, or just cut them off.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree that replacing the hoses is the best idea. With that said, put on a pair of gloves, grab the hose near the nipple, and apply a forceful side-to-side/back-and-forth movement on the hose. This will generally break it loose. If limited space is the problem, it may be easier to first remove the hoses from the transmission side and then remove the radiator. With the radiator out, you should more easily be able to get the hoses off.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
I agree that replacing the hoses is the best idea. With that said, put on a pair of gloves, grab the hose near the nipple, and apply a forceful side-to-side/back-and-forth movement on the hose. This will generally break it loose. If limited space is the problem, it may be easier to first remove the hoses from the transmission side and then remove the radiator. With the radiator out, you should more easily be able to get the hoses off.
Yeah the space is definitely the issue. I tried both sides, the radiator nipple side and the nipples running over the trans and both won't budge. I'll probably go ahead and cut them tonight after I go to Honda.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sometimes i try breaking the seal and take a flat screwdriver around the nipple and hose working it around the opening to break it free a lil. then as they said tug side to side and twist it. it will eventually break loose u can also use channel locks to grab it just be careful not to tear it. if u do just replace the hose. autozone sells a grease that u can put around the nipples so it does not stick like this next time.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I just replaced the radiator on my wife's car. I replaced both radiator hoses and those trans hoses. 2 ft of the trans line at Advance was $4. Just make sure you get the exact diameter and get trans line not fuel/coolant. I got the radiator hoses at Honda, they were very inexpensive (maybe $18 for both) and were OEM fit.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
sometimes i try breaking the seal and take a flat screwdriver around the nipple and hose working it around the opening to break it free a lil. then as they said tug side to side and twist it. it will eventually break loose u can also use channel locks to grab it just be careful not to tear it. if u do just replace the hose. autozone sells a grease that u can put around the nipples so it does not stick like this next time.
Yeah I've always used the screw driver trick and it wasn't happening for me today. I got my shipment notification from radiator barn and it says the 19th so that would be quite impressive(ordered on Saturday), but that's why I ordered from them, cheap+fast shipping. I'll just replace all 4 hoses when I get to Honda tonight or tomorrow and either cut them off/tear them off/or hopefully wiggle them off. It's always something though with Honda, you get the hard ****/big **** done then its the two little hoses.. lol. Anyone know a cheap site I can get bulk 10mm honda bolts? Mine are rusted everywhere on my 97.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go to ace hardware and take a 10mm bolt with u so u get the right pitch and size bolt. they have stainless bolts that wont rust and last longer.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
go to ace hardware and take a 10mm bolt with u so u get the right pitch and size bolt. they have stainless bolts that wont rust and last longer.
k cool.. I just figured there might be one of those websites that sells 100 for 10 bucks, etc. thanks again guys...
Old 09-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to remove the hose, i use channel locks and twist them back and forth. sometimes people will put rtv silicone on the radiator tubes if they leak and can't get a new hose to seal, or it its cracked and it may make the hose impossiible to remove. if channel locks dont twist it, dont cut it near the neck with a knife, you may push through and puncture the neck. use a heat gun to heat the hose up and twist again. it'll come off
Old 09-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92lxsleeper
to remove the hose, i use channel locks and twist them back and forth. sometimes people will put rtv silicone on the radiator tubes if they leak and can't get a new hose to seal, or it its cracked and it may make the hose impossiible to remove. if channel locks dont twist it, dont cut it near the neck with a knife, you may push through and puncture the neck. use a heat gun to heat the hose up and twist again. it'll come off
Yeah, it literally won't budge, like the two big hoses were a pain and these put those to shame... So to a picture in my head... I see myself cutting through the "hollow" of the tube and then pulling the rest apart?