Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 dx Power Conversion without Floor Harness. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 dx Power Conversion without Floor Harness. Help!

Hey everyone. I've done my search but just couldnt find exactly what i was looking for. I'm trying to do a power window and lock conversion without a floor harness. Why without a floor harness? Seems like way less work and more simple. I was able to pick up everything I need to do this conversion.

Both side door harness
Windows regulator with motor
Lock actuators
Door panels
Lock switch
Lock control box module
Window relay (if needed)
20 amp fuses

I understand the concept of removing the door panel and manual window regulator and lock actuators. That seems simple to do but I'm just getting stuck with the door harness. Ok yea I know I'm suppose attach the door harness to the door and connect all the connectors. But what im really stuck on is the the ending on the door harness (the end where all wires come together and connects inside fender). Since I'm not using a floor harness, what do I do with that end? Do I cut the connector off and extend all the wires and some how pass it to the cabin? If so then where do I connect them wires for power? Behind dash fuse box? I've seen the the diagram jack had on how to do it without a floor harness but its just not detailed enough. Sorry for the long writing but I'm just a lost case and I want everyone to have a clear understanding where I'm stuck at. Please don't tell me to leave it for a professional cause I know this simple stuff. I've done electrical work before so i have some experiences. Just not really comprehending some stuff and need some clearification on it. If you have some power conversion experience, please give me a guide towards the right direction. If you have read this, thank you for your time
Old 11-09-2012, 04:43 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

why not get the harness?

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 11-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 97 dx Power Conversion without Floor Harness. Help!

if you need help its not really easier is it ? i used a floor harness all plug and play.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:24 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Plug-n-play is less work? Explain.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by canadaek
if you need help its not really easier is it ? i used a floor harness all plug and play.
It is easy. Just need a better understanding, that's it. My question wasn't if you used a floor harness or not. If you did use a floor harness then obviously you won't be no help with my question.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
why not get the harness?

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Why get it when you don't need it?
Old 11-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Don't understand where your coming from. Maybe you wrote it wrong. Floor harness consist on remove most of carpet, front and rear seats, rear trim panel etc.. More work. Non-floor harness consist on just extending wires and soldering. Maybe its not the right way but it gets the job done.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just need my questions answer from someone that has done a power conversion without a Floor Harness. If you don't have an answer to my question then save your comment please. Thank you.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:39 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabianej6
Don't understand where your coming from. Maybe you wrote it wrong. Floor harness consist on remove most of carpet, front and rear seats, rear trim panel etc.. More work. Non-floor harness consist on just extending wires and soldering. Maybe its not the right way but it gets the job done.
This would take you all of a few hours. Far less time than actually trying to find directions/wiring diagrams and cutting and splicing wires, and possibly doing it wrong.

Please don't post in a public forum and tell people who can and cannot reply in it. If you're familiar with electrical work then a simple wiring diagram shouldn't be hard for you to find and work with.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Making extensions and soldering is a lot more work than just pulling up the edge of the carpeting. Realisticly if you dont want to move the entire floor harness, get one, and take the wires out of it related to your project. Ive seen plenty of write ups where people do this (In fact I did it to get Psuedo oem keyless entry from a CR-V into my civic) This will help immensely since it will give you the internal connectors for the fuse box and switches such as power mirror. It will also give you the pin connectors for the doors. Lastly it will allow you to trouble shoot since you will have the OEM colors and can relate to the FSM.

In fact here is a write up where a guy did just that.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/92-95-civic-power-door-conversion-right-way-tons-pics-end-all-swap-2337026/
Old 11-10-2012, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Sarcastic ?
Old 11-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabianej6
Why without a floor harness? Seems like way less work and more simple.
This is, as has been mentioned a number of times, an incorrect assumption.

If you have some power conversion experience, please give me a guide towards the right direction. If you have read this, thank you for your time
I have A LOT of power conversion experience. I've done 3 of them, plus considerable other vehicle electrical retrofits and upgrades. My 'guide for you towards the right direction', as you requested above, is to get the floor harness. It is a cleaner, faster, and much less headache-inducing install.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have A LOT of power conversion experience. I've done 3 of them, plus considerable other vehicle electrical retrofits and upgrades. My 'guide for you towards the right direction', as you requested above, is to get the floor harness. It is a cleaner, faster, and much less headache-inducing install.
Agreed, Get the harness. It really is plug and play. I've done this to my 94 civic Dx ej1. It was really simple. There are countless write ups about this. Just go to the local junk yard and pull it out of the same model. We have Pick N Pull here in Sacramento, CA and it works wonders. Just go there and pull the part, pay a small fee then BAM! Power windows/door locks all around