Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 civic won't start after Power Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 civic won't start after Power Conversion

Hey everyone, Im having some issue with my power conversion. I started doing my power conversion on my 97 civic dx coupe but now my car won't start but it cranks. I got everything needed for this conversion. Everything is working when it comes to power in the car. Headlight, tail lights, interior and even power windows but the car won't start. My fuel pump hums when I put my key in ignition 2 so I figured there is no issue there. I did disconnect all connectors from fusebox. I think my issue might be at the fuse box. Maybe something is not right. I'm trying to see where should I start to track down my issue. Would really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 97 civic Power Conversion Troubleshoot. Help wanted.

Is there spark at all 4 spark plugs?

CEL codes?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 civic Power Conversion Troubleshoot. Help wanted.

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Is there spark at all 4 spark plugs?

CEL codes?
Thanks for the response. Haven't check for any spark but will do so and there is no CEL.
Checked all fuses with multimeter after fully charging my battery. Was reading at 12.05 but after a couple of cranks, it was reading 11.73. Any idea? Drainage maybe?
Old 12-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 civic won't start after Power Conversion

I checked my spark plugs and I'm not getting any spark at all. My battery voltage is at 11.80's. It was at 12.5 yesterday. I don't understand how my car was working fine and now after the conversion, it won't start. I did everything step by from jack repo tutorial. Everything connected fine.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

You clearly need to charge or replace the battery. Then check again for spark. If there is none, then test whether battery voltage reaches the coil/ICM and whether the timing belt stripped or snapped.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
You clearly need to charge or replace the battery. Then check again for spark. If there is none, then test whether battery voltage reaches the coil/ICM and whether the timing belt stripped or snapped.
I appreciate the help man. Ok I think we getting somewhere here. So I'm not getting spark cause of the voltage my battery is giving me right? So issue has to do with something draining my battery cause I took my battery yesterday to pepboys and got it fully charged. After retrying to start the car with my fully charged battery, it cause my battery voltage to drop down. Something is making my battery voltage drop. Makes sense right? Or not? Cause how could it be my distributor when I just got a new one 3 months ago. Could it be a weak alternator? The other day I started hearing a grinding sound from there. I will get my battery charge again tho and see if I get spark and then I'll go from there. I should get spark.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you connected all the ground wire's (under drivers seat)in kick panel . and your alternator has nothing to do with starting you could start and run your car without one . and if you keep cranking the car over it's going to drain the battery it's normal
Old 12-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by canadaek
make sure you connected all the ground wire's (under drivers seat)in kick panel . and your alternator has nothing to do with starting you could start and run your car without one . and if you keep cranking the car over it's going to drain the battery it's normal
Yea they are grounded correctly because I connected my text light to the ground wire from the floor harness and I'm getting voltage reading from my fuses.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: so I did my ICM test. I'm not receiving any voltage to my wires. I'm trying to trace where does the blk/yel wire leads to in the under dash fuse box but can't figure it out. This leads to tell me that I definitely have a problem at my fuse box since it was disconnected during my power conversion. I'll keep doing some search to see exactly where it is under my dash.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: I figured out my ignition wire was not all the way in the connector at the underdash fusebox, so it wasn't making contact with the male connector. Now I have a new issue. With all the cranking I did, I ended up flooding my cylinders with fuel. Spark plugs were soak with fuel. What would be the best way to let all the fuel evaporate from my cylinders?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just leave the plugs out for a while . you could use a propane torch to dry the plugs off
Old 12-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by canadaek
just leave the plugs out for a while . you could use a propane torch to dry the plugs off
Yea I actually bought new spark plugs but that didn't do the trick. I also let it sit for a whole day but that didn't help neither. I'm guessing I don't have enough CCA to start the car.