Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Civic Sputter/Jerking/ backfiring under load.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Civic Sputter/Jerking/ backfiring under load.

Hey guys, for about two and half weeks now, I have been reading around and trying to come up with a conclusion to this issue I have been having, but have not been able to find a solution. So I need something more tailored to my situation.

About three weeks ago, I noticed my Civic, which has the stock Y7, started to sputter a little bit when I would accelerate in any gear at any given speed. A couple days later, and the car was getting progressively worse. The car starts, idles and cruises just like it normally should, but now anytime I step on the gas, again at any given gear, speed or anything, its jerking really hard and now backfiring.

I ran some fuel injector cleaner through it when I first became cognisant of the problem. To no avail, it did not do anything. I pulled all the plugs and they all looked to be worn pretty good, dirty, whitish and most of the tips were worn away. Having a brand new box of plugs handy, I decided to toss them in. Still no luck. I then pulled the cap off and there was no fluids, or oil on the rotor, and the rotor seemed in good shape.

Oddly enough, on the aluminum side of the distributor closest to the valve cover, there is oil on the outside of it, which i would assume would be coming from my valve cover. I also was not throwing any check engine lights until I read online that you can reset the TPS and it might clear the problem up. After doing so, I now have the code throwing a bad tps sensor, which the guy at Autozone did not understand that I unplugged it and ran it. He assured me it would clear itself up.

Ive unplugged a battery terminal to reset it, still nothing. Anyone have any thoughts at what could be causing this situation?

Thank you.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 Civic Sputter/Jerking/ backfiring under load.

I have the same problem with my 93 civic hatchback. Seems like this is a major problem with all civics, and yet there is nobody or no solution to it. Personally I have tried the following.

Fuel filter, ignition system (cap, rotor, module, coil, wires, coil wire, plugs ect),
Timing adjustment, (the car seems to get better when I advance the timing).
I have replaced the fuel injectors also. The map sensor, ect.

I unplugged the TPS and found that the car runs a little better, but problem still persists.
My TPS is shot because now whenever I plug it in the car runs very bad, so it remains unplugged. My problem is still there however.

I have recently discovered that my hesitation problem is only present when the car is hot. The warmer the car the worse the problem is. I unplugged the Coolant Temperature Sensor, and the car runs a little better and smoother yet again, but the problem still persists when I step on it in any gear.

I am wondering why the coolant temperature sensor is related to this problem. My car doesn't have an EGR so it can't be that.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

since you're getting oil around the dizzy, check some of these things...
take the cap off and see if there's oil inside it.
clean the oil off let the car run and see where it's dripping from.

Might be something as simple as an oil seal which is common, oil inside the dizzy cap will make the spark jump around but I would think the car would run like **** all the time not just under load
Old 12-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you considered carbon build-up? When I first purchased my del sol, it ran very rough under load/hard acceleration. It was better above 3000 rpm. Someone suggested that I spray Sea Foam into the intake. There are instructions on the bottle. It got better for short periods of time. Later, I had the head gasket off and saw first hand the carbon build-up in the cylinders, so cleaned them thoroughly before reassembling. The sputtering issue was then gone.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like timing. Check and double check your timing. Don't throw mechanical timing out of the question especially if you haven't changed your t-belt or have just changed it.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine 95 civic was back firing under load, idling bad, sputtering, I found out my wires were bad& my rotor.
I changed the wires plugs cap and rotor and all that was gone.
If you haven't done any of that maybe try. Its not too much for all that maybe $100 for all the parts