Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Civic - manual transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Civic - manual transmission problems

After grueling hours of work on my first motor swap this car has given me curveball after curveball. New motor in all new gaskets and all new sensors I believe I toasted the transmission. Its the stock tranny for the d16y8 motor. I was driving up into the city when it felt like I whailed a speedbump then the car dropped gear. Wouldnt go into any gear after that I thought I finally toasted the throw out bearing since you can clearly hear it rattling when the clutch isnt depressed. Regardless I pushed it into a vacant lot and went back the next morning to scoop it. Fired it up and it went into gear just fine so instead of towing I drove it back to my shop. The throw out bearing is def bad but clearly not gone I can get 1st 2nd and reverse it grinds when attempting to put into 3-5 and I can get 4th if I apply plenty of pressure on the shifter and release the clutch slowly going exactly 35mph.

The transmission has this whine that syncs with the rpms of the vehicle below 2 you dont hear it but beyond 2 its clear as a bell I think its the input shaft bearing. I bought a whole new clutch kit but since I got the transmission unbloted I figure I might as well get some input on weather or not to replace the tranny while its off weather then having to remove it twice and align the clutch to a new tranny
Old 11-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default re: 97 Civic - manual transmission problems

Did you crawl underneath the car to inspect the shift linkage and exhaust heat shields?
Old 11-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 Civic - manual transmission problems

Long since ripped off the heat sheilds, the linkages are solid I just did a bushing replacement
Old 11-14-2014, 11:24 AM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the input shaft bearing. Noise with the clutch released, not depressed, is the ISB.

I had my transmission rebuild only because I figured buying a used one it would eventually end up needing an ISB replacement anyway. Wasn't cheap, but should last the life of the car now.

eH.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not to versed into mechanics infact this is my stepping stool doing this car entirely by myself and I figured Honda was a good car to begin learning on. Im a autobody tech with interest in the field so... Right now money is kinda tight I can go dumpster diving at the local junkyards and pull 100 dollar tranny but question is with the ISB going is that a ticking time bomb or should I just hit the junkyard since the motor is a yard pull itself n e ways....

Realistically all Im trying to do is keep the car running until I finish my b18c5 build since thats where all my money is going which should be around tax season
Old 11-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I found an interesting write up on taking a b18c5 and going naturally aspirated (on not to big a budget mind you just lots of elbow work) and getting a 11:6.1 comp ratio 10krpm essentially stock parts... I figure that + maybe 12lbs of boost and some other adds later on as the money comes in and Ill have a fun first project car but in the meantime this is my main mode of transport... Already paid for the b18 and got most of the **** for it now its a matter of keeping on the research and doing the work slowly and deliberatly
Old 11-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by berrabus
pull 100 dollar tranny
Do this^
Old 11-14-2014, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Eh **** it might as well at this point, Ill repost and let yall know how the work goes... Once I get the parts in on the b18 for the internals Ill start a thread for the teardown and work being done essentially trying to do a semi-budget build for 400+ whp
Old 11-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by berrabus
I found an interesting write up on taking a b18c5 and going naturally aspirated (on not to big a budget mind you just lots of elbow work) and getting a 11:6.1 comp ratio 10krpm essentially stock parts... I figure that + maybe 12lbs of boost and some other adds later on as the money comes in and Ill have a fun first project car but in the meantime this is my main mode of transport... Already paid for the b18 and got most of the **** for it now its a matter of keeping on the research and doing the work slowly and deliberatly
?? Do you know how much this costs and how many times you'll blow it up?

-you did a D series to D series swap.
-it didn't go well.
-you ripped off all the heat shields (???????)
-you admitted not being mechanically versed.

No offense. But if I didn't know how to fly a model airplane, I wouldn't put it aside and decide to fly the space shuttle in a way that was doomed from the start.

11.6:1 compression and 10k RPM NA build on a C5. Then turbo it. Good God, man.

What kind of fluid did you put in that D series trans?
Old 11-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LMFAO criticism totally expected Im working side by side with a very well versed Honda Tech whose done multiple builds he simply wants me to do the research and attempt to do the work myself... Generally speaking if I reach a wicked technical issue where I need to consult he steps in... When it comes to the build hes working with me the entire step of the way so Im not just diving in haha I appreciate the concern and understand its far from un-warrented
Old 11-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Out of curiosity, where do you intend to find a B18C5?
Old 11-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Already nabbed one with tranny harness and comp my buddy was doing a build got a little tipsy and found the business end of a tree fortunately the motor didnt take any impact it was only passanger side... the plan is to do a complete tear down and build on the motor on all the internals clean and polish on our way out
Old 11-15-2014, 07:00 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

That has nothing to do with the tranny issue, are you sayin ditch the tranny issue and just rebuild a b18c5? If so lets just close this.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You didnt read then whole thread the b18c5 was a side note to the issues with the d16y8 stating that the d16 and transmission need to last just until the b18 is finished being done... the resolution to this thread was to do a 100 dollar yard pull for another d16 transmission since it will be needed regardless