Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'97 civic LX speaker replacement

Old 06-09-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 civic LX speaker replacement

New member here, bear with me:

I'm tired of the terrible radio and speakers in my civic. I wouldn't mind the stock one so much if the volume **** worked and it had a cassette player instead of a CD player. But anyway, I'm going to get this $110 Pioneer CD MP3 radio from either Circuit City or Best Buy and have them install that because installation is free. Speaker installation is extra, though, and there's no way I'm paying $80 for them to do that when I'm sure it's very simple.

Right now, though, I'm completely clueless. I have no idea how to even get to the front speakers. I see two clips in the little bucket there, but that's it. The rear speakers should be easier. I'm sure if I just flip the seats down and pop open the trunk, I'll be able to get underneath and pop those grilles out and access them.

Any help would be appreciated. I've been googling and searching a lot but can't find much information.

Also, I'll take speaker recommendations. I heard some inifinity's at Best Buy that sounded good and I got a recommendation for the Polk speakers at Circuit City.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:17 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fronts are easy as pie. Just grab that speaker grill and yank it off. There will be six screws, three flush, three recessed. Take out the three flushed screws and your speaker comes out.

You're sadly mistaken as to the "easier" part for the rears. You have to drop the rear deck out. It's kind of a pain in the ***. Grab yourself a service manual and get crackin.

By the way, don't buy Polk or Infinity ... all your going to get is Infinity Reference or Polk dB .... and they both kinda suck. Look into Soundstream or Diamond audio. I don't know if you have any locally run high-end audio shops, but the people there will actually know what they're talking about, and treat you like a human being instead of a cash-carrying piece of meat.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MD1032)

JL Audio is very good also.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: (ke98248)

hm, post got deleted. Anyway,

I'll take a swing at it tomorrow. Any idea what page that rear deck would be on? I'm probably going to just shove the seats forward, put the rear seats down, and see what I can get to. If I can get all of the stock speakers out, I'm halfway there the way I see it.

Also, what's your beef with inifnity or polk? I'm trying to keep it cheap here, hence why I'm buying a $110 head unit rather than a $400 one. The Infinity's and Polks are both $100 for the fronts and $150 for the rears. Sounds pretty economical to me, and it's probably WAY better than the car's stock system. I am a bit of an audio nut, but the way I see it, it's a freaking car and I shouldn't put reference speakers in something that produces noise as soon as you turn it on. If this was a well-damped, newer car, I would consider it. And yes, I've heard of JL quite a bit, but their stuff is probably too expensive.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want cheap, keep it stock.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:47 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MD1032 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hm, post got deleted. Anyway,

I'll take a swing at it tomorrow. Any idea what page that rear deck would be on? I'm probably going to just shove the seats forward, put the rear seats down, and see what I can get to. If I can get all of the stock speakers out, I'm halfway there the way I see it.

Also, what's your beef with inifnity or polk? I'm trying to keep it cheap here, hence why I'm buying a $110 head unit rather than a $400 one. The Infinity's and Polks are both $100 for the fronts and $150 for the rears. Sounds pretty economical to me, and it's probably WAY better than the car's stock system. I am a bit of an audio nut, but the way I see it, it's a freaking car and I shouldn't put reference speakers in something that produces noise as soon as you turn it on. If this was a well-damped, newer car, I would consider it. And yes, I've heard of JL quite a bit, but their stuff is probably too expensive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're an audio nut, and you're fine with buying Infinity Reference or Polk dB? The fact that you're cheaping out on Audio is just proof that you're not the nut you claim to be .... If you don't want to spend a lot of money, keep it stock. I have stock door speakers, stock 6x9's, stock am/fm radio with cd slave drive, and you know what? It sounds damn good. Good enough that I wouldn't pay to upgrade it at this point. Maybe when I've run out of stuff to do to my car, I'll blow my wad on some Diamond HEX's (or D9's if I'm feeling horny). For now though? Courage

And what's wrong with Polk dB and Infinity Ref? They suck. The Ref's sound brassy and overly low (makes stupid people think they're getting 'bass') .... and I just hate Polk. You can have Diamond Audio 3-Series speakers for as much or less than either of those brands, and they're a lot nicer, even for entry level stuff.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Eran)

Memphis is another good brand. Or so I hear...

I might have to look into diamond audio's though. I need new interior speakers.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:46 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Memphis is another good brand. Or so I hear...

I might have to look into diamond audio's though. I need new interior speakers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Memphis makes fantastic amps and subs. I wouldn't expect any different from their components either. I dunno, they might be a little bit bright sounding, kind of like MB Quart.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:04 AM

Hm, well, I haven't considered that. I'm used to Grado and Klipsch in my home for headphones and speakers respectively if you want to know what sound signature I'm used to, and I'm just plain not familiar with car audio and what sounds good. And yes, I've never heard the Polks or Infinity's, so I'm basically going by allegations here from a couple friends. This isn't supposed to be a major upgrade, but I'm a firm believer that you can spend a few dollars and get something way better than "stock", because this is true when it comes to speakers and certainly very true when it comes to headphones.

Your description of the Inifinity's has me worried, though. I don't want something bright or boomy at all, I want it to be as neutral as possible. I would rather sacrifice some fidelity for a more balanced sound. I'll be listening to everything from rock to reggae to blues to classical to pipe organ on this system, so I want it to be as neutral as possible.

The problem is that the stock speaker system on this car doesn't sound or work fine. It sounds like total garbage. Disgusting, boomy, one-tone bass, no highs or detail to speak of. The mids are so obscured, you can't even distinguish different guitar tones, and the volume **** on the head unit is almost completely broken as I mentioned.

Thanks for your help so far, though. I'll have to do some research on the brands mentioned in this thread, though. I am certainly more than open to suggestions, and higher pricing if it means I'll get a sufficient system.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:14 AM

Don't buy Ma audio, or Visonik, or i believe it's audiobahhn? I had a friend sponsered by ma. Turns out Ma audio, audiobahhn, and Visonik, are the same company. He had 4 12's in a fiberglass enclosure, 2 3000 watt amps for bass, 3 sets of components, 800 watt component amp, bran, 25 farad smart cap, and a flip out head unit. My integra on 1000 watts with three apropitly rated 10's crushed him. I had clarion components in the doors with sony explode coaxials in the back, no amp, and a jvc head unit. I got louder crisper, and cleaner than him. Oh by the way he has been through 2 headunits. And hims last 2 3000 watt amps fried, so Ma sent him a 4400 comp amp. That fried 2 months later. Eventually he got so pissed off he dropped them. I guess it is kinda sad when your 7000 dollar system gets dumped on by a 500 dollar system peiced together lol. Oh and to add to the thread, Boston makes good components, as does clarion.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Re: (civicslayrx)

All right, did some looking around, it looks like the Diamond Audio speakers are pretty affordable (D362.5i, $64 through a questionable ebayer), and the JL's aren't too bad either (TR650-CXi, $95 on ebay also), at least for entry model 6.5"-ers. My next question would be: which would require modification of the car in order to fit in the fronts? I've heard that the plastic in the door has to occasionally be drilled in order to fit the front speakers in. Is there any way to know this? I wouldn't have too much of a problem with it, but I'll want to know if I should expect it, and how involved it is.

Also, let me know if you personally have a preference for either brand. I'm flying blind so far. There's no diamond audio retailers near me, but JL looks like it might have some which I will check out.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:53 PM
HT White Ops

The only time it's ever needed to modify is if the mounting depth is too deep (ie, large magnet), or if you're putting in larger speakers than the stock size (diameter).
Old 06-10-2007, 12:58 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MD1032 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All right, did some looking around, it looks like the Diamond Audio speakers are pretty affordable (D362.5i, $64 through a questionable ebayer), and the JL's aren't too bad either (TR650-CXi, $95 on ebay also), at least for entry model 6.5"-ers. My next question would be: which would require modification of the car in order to fit in the fronts? I've heard that the plastic in the door has to occasionally be drilled in order to fit the front speakers in. Is there any way to know this? I wouldn't have too much of a problem with it, but I'll want to know if I should expect it, and how involved it is.

Also, let me know if you personally have a preference for either brand. I'm flying blind so far. There's no diamond audio retailers near me, but JL looks like it might have some which I will check out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here's a link to an online store that sells Diamond:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com...D=639
Old 06-10-2007, 01:26 PM

So do you prefer Diamond Audio, Eran? The reason I said I'm flying blind is because I have no way of auditioning these before I purchase them.

edit: That store looks bogus.

http://www.resellerratings.com...tereo
Old 06-10-2007, 03:55 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MD1032 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So do you prefer Diamond Audio, Eran? The reason I said I'm flying blind is because I have no way of auditioning these before I purchase them.

edit: That store looks bogus.

http://www.resellerratings.com...tereo</TD></TR></TABLE>

So they do. I was just merely showing you that you can find them online.

But yes, if I was going to actually pay money to upgrade my speakers, I'd pick Diamond, Soundstream, Treo, or Morel.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:29 PM

Looks like Diamonds are indeed the easiest to grab off the internet. In the case I went with them, it looks like the D362.5i and the D392i are on the order. Those are easily available on ebay through what looks like a reputable seller. Would you approve? And also, as before, my question would be whether these would require any drilling or modification of the car to allow the (probably deeper) speaker to fit.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:35 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MD1032 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks like Diamonds are indeed the easiest to grab off the internet. In the case I went with them, it looks like the D362.5i and the D392i are on the order. Those are easily available on ebay through what looks like a reputable seller. Would you approve? And also, as before, my question would be whether these would require any drilling or modification of the car to allow the (probably deeper) speaker to fit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Measure the depth of your stock door speakers. Then pay a visit to Diamond's site and check the mounting depth of the speakers you plan on buying.