Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 civic lx automatic trans having hard 2nd and 3rd gear shifts

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 97 civic lx automatic trans having hard 2nd and 3rd gear shifts

Well I just bought a new car and I need to fix it asap because its my aunt so just throw me some reasonable explanations for this

When I start the car cold and drive it, the shifts get jerky. As it shift into the next gear it jerks real bad. Dont know if its a sensor or what but I have to fix it the easy way or the hard way.Once it warms up it gets good

Some other problems are the brakes sink and vibrate the pedal. This I searched and it seemed to be the brake master cylinder so I will change that soon. The rotors are rusted and the car has been sitting for a long time.

And the gas gauge doesnt work, it just stays at full(I wish)
Old 09-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 97 civic lx automatic trans having hard 2nd and 3rd gear shifts (v8killaz)

honda atf drain and fill a few times should solve it, start from there, and your mc is probably bad for your brakes, but you might want to bleed them before you start swapping out parts, saves money that way and rusted rotors = pedals vibrations of course
Old 09-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thx foe the quick reply,
I will bleed the brakes today and do the rest later. Maybe since the car was sitting so long, its just temporary(the shifting)
But i will make sure tomarrow

If it was my car I would drive it with the brakes like that but I told my aunt to leave it at my house and I will fix it so she doesnt crash or something
Old 09-22-2008, 04:54 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 97 civic lx automatic trans having hard 2nd and 3rd gear shifts (v8killaz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v8killaz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I start the car cold and drive it, the shifts get jerky. As it shift into the next gear it jerks real bad. Dont know if its a sensor or what but I have to fix it the easy way or the hard way.Once it warms up it gets good</TD></TR></TABLE>

mom's '96 hatch does the same thing, most of them shift like that from what i've been told, there is a TSB on the issue that says replace the linear solenoid, but most people don't have any success with it fixing the issue.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, how do i flush the trans from fluid and refil, never have i done this before and i dont have s manual for that car. But i will change the linear solenoid soon, pretty common i just found out
Old 09-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bled the brakes and did absolutely nothing. I got a used master cylinder and brake booster.
It seems as if the brakes have way to much free play. I know you should have some but its only 1 inch of brakes working or activated
So I really have no idea

And about the trans, shifts fine now but the starter flywheel thing is open, no cover covering it which their should be sooo
The car doesnt want to grab on in 1st gear almost like the converter is slipping but its fine once driving and it doesnt slip then

I was at a stop light, and when it turned green. I floored it on purpose to see what would happen. The rpm went to 6k and never came down. The car slowly rose in speed and but it never cought on until it shifted into 2nd. It basically felt as if I was driving a manual and slipping the clutch slowly at 6k rpm. Or it felt like my car had a 6k stall converter
Old 09-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any idea's guys about why the car wont grab on in 1st gear, drove it today and it was almost undrivable
Old 09-24-2008, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (v8killaz)

Maybe you have gotten a new problem because of not changing the tranny fluid. My wife has a 95 civic and her tranny fluid needs changed and it shifts hard.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah maybe, i will change the tranny fluid soon.I just fixed the breaks today. It wasnt the master cylinder or the brake booster even though i changed it. I took the caliper out and noticed the brake pads were uneven so i figured out the bolts or those studs were frozen.

Then i took the studs out and cleaned them and the car was good as new. Wasted all that money and it was just frozen calipers