Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Civic EX - noise and vibration problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Civic EX - noise and vibration problems

Hey guys. I have bought a little five speed '97 Civic (114k miles). I took it to the mechanic to get serviced; had the timing belt, water pump, drive belts, all hoses, and cover gasket replaced. When I drove it home though, I noticed a couple new noises:

-When I put the clutch in and coast at slow speeds, it makes a bizarre noise; it almost sounds like something's rotating and making a slapping noise. (Sound is similar to taking a wet rag and hitting the ground with it.) Sounds like it's coming from middle-to passenger's side of car, under front seat. The sound doesn't start immediately after pressing the clutch in, and it stops after releasing the clutch. Doesn't seem to matter if it's in first or second when I engage the clutch, though I have yet to hear the noise when doing over 2kRPM. It doesn't do it with the clutch engaged at a stop.

-Vibrating noise when my car hits about fifty. (Pretty sure this is just the axle needing replaced--torn CV boot.)

-Tinny noise, almost as if I was kicking a tin can down the street. Seems to be coming from the rear end of the car. (Just started; was doing fifty, put the clutch in to prepare to slow down and it started up. Stopped when I went around a turn and started up again when I was barely on the gas. Loose heat shield, maybe?)

If it sounds like I have no idea what I'm talking about, it's because I don't... >.>; Went from a Jeep Cherokee to this. Please note: None of the above noises are consistently occurring. The first one is the only one I've figured out how to replicate, and it doesn't ALWAYS do it.

Any ideas?
Old 12-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 Civic EX

Well first off, welcome to the Honda game!
^^

Let's see here...I'm not to wise on manual transmissions (autos are my game XD; ) but there are plenty of guys/gals here that can help ya with that one.

As far as the vibration over 50...yeah, check that axle as well as your wheel alignment and if your tires are balanced correctly.

And the tinny noise...yep, sounds like a heat shield (had the same issue on mine before I had it welded...and then some dick hack sawed the convertor off about a week later, so hello aftermarket cat XDD )

Sounds like you're on the right track, herasi.
We'll get some folks on your clutch noise issue sooner or later!

And again, welcome to Honda Tech!
Old 12-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 97 Civic EX

Originally Posted by Texas4door
Well first off, welcome to the Honda game!
^^

Let's see here...I'm not to wise on manual transmissions (autos are my game XD; ) but there are plenty of guys/gals here that can help ya with that one.

As far as the vibration over 50...yeah, check that axle as well as your wheel alignment and if your tires are balanced correctly.

And the tinny noise...yep, sounds like a heat shield (had the same issue on mine before I had it welded...and then some dick hack sawed the convertor off about a week later, so hello aftermarket cat XDD )

Sounds like you're on the right track, herasi.
We'll get some folks on your clutch noise issue sooner or later!

And again, welcome to Honda Tech!
Oh god, I'd be so pissed about the cat. xD And yeah, I always buy manuals because I figure it's pretty decent vehicle theft protection in the States.

If it's just a loose heat shield, I ought to be able to mimic it while the car's off, right? Are there any problems with just removing them in the Civics (or should I just temp hose clamp it and look into welding it)?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 12-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 97 Civic EX - noise and vibration problems

Anyone else??