Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 civic ex/ new head valves still ticking and oil leak

Old 02-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 civic ex/ new head valves still ticking and oil leak

Sup guys. I just put a rebuilt head and 5sp trans in my civic. D16y8. I adjusted the valves prior to startup. Im positive i set them to spec. When i started it for the first time, the valves ticked very badly. After the engine ran for a few minutes they got quieter but still ticked more than i think they should. I turned the engine off for a bit and started it back up and now they are ticking pretty bad. If i mistakenly set TDC on the exhaust stroke and not the compression stroke to set all the valves, would this throw my measurements off? I also have a pretty bad oil leak. All i can tell is that it is a pretty steady stream when the engine is running. It seems to be running down the the engine under the vtech solenoid and dripping on to the axle. I know it is not coming from the vtech tho. And its not coming from the oil filter. Where could it be coming from? thanks in advance.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:34 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 97 civic ex/ new head valves still ticking and oil leak

Who rebuilt the head?
Old 02-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A local machine shop. They are a small business but have gotten good reviews. Buddy of mine recommended them. He has done alot of business with them.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:12 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It just sounds like there's something seriously wrong with that head. There are a couple of links in teh FAQ on how to properly set timing.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

recheck your valve adjust
Old 02-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea im going to double check the valves. Refering to the oil leak, i just went back out in the shop and started it up again. I took the air intake off so i could get a better look. With it running, i could see oil dripping off the bottom corner of the head right under the vtech solenoid. So im guessing the freekin head gasket is leaking. I dont understand why tho. Both surfaces were clean of debre and nicks. I didnt check flatness on the head cuz i figured with it being machined it would be fine. And i didnt check the deck on the block. Took that for granted to. I used a new oem head gasket and torqued everything down to spec. It is almost a small steady stream running out with the engine running.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I might have had your problem
I had a head rebuilt (D16Y8 same as yours) and after a while of running, I developed a weird *** oil leak
Thought it was the VTEC solenoid so I replaced that---still leaked
Replaced the Distributor O-ring---still leaked
Finally took it to a shop and the mechanic found it within a few minutes
Here's a close up of a D16Y8 head:
http://www.americancylinderheads.com.../ac213c3_6.jpg

Right there, to the 8o'clock of where the Distributor mounts up, see that little hex fitting, like where an Allen Wrench would fit?
That little ball bearing thingy on mine was a little loose, so the guy put a turn on it and voila!
No more oil leak

I have no idea WHAT that thing is; it might have something to do with the casting of the head and that ball bearing thingy seals it, idk.
But where that leak was coming from on my motor had the oil runnign down and dripping off near my VTEC solenoid, making it tough to find the damn thing
(gawd I know I wasted half a dozen O-rings thinking I kept rolling/tearing them the whole time XD; )

So..check and see if that thing is loose
And if someone can please clarify WHAT that thing is so I can stop calling it a ball bearing thingy, that'd be helpful too
(the reason why I think it's part of the casting process is because there's an old thread in the archives here where folks ask about the same sort of ball bearings in the head, but between the intake ports

Good luck!
^^
Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good info texas4door. I did a little more investigating this morning. Turns out it is the vtech solenoid leaking right between the solenoid and the intake manifold. I took the solenoid back off and cleaned it and checked for any nicks on the surface of it and the head. All looks good but i installed it back on and its still leaking. I have a brand new gasket on it but its just not sealing.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Aha, the infamous VTEC solenoid gasket leak, eh?
Seems like you and this guy are having the same issue with it not sealing for some reason...

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/v-tec-solenoid-gasket-leak-3028428/
Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure it is not the top (triangle gasket leaking?) I would replace that gasket and then go from there.

Also use some hondabond or rtv when you replace the solenoid to the block as well.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: the oil leak was actually coming from the top section of the solenoid. So i clean it up and put some rtv on it and she sealed right up. As far as the ticking valves, after quadruple checking them with no success, i got to looking at my old head compared to my new rebuilt one. Then i finally found it. The 4 lost motion assemblies in the top section of the rocker arm assy. were in upside down!! Thanks machine shop repair man!! I flipped those over and you guessed it. Runs like a sewing machine!
Old 02-22-2012, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With your solenoid leak, did it bubble out between the head/solenoid? Or was it leaking from the top triangular part itself?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfinderman
Update: the oil leak was actually coming from the top section of the solenoid. So i clean it up and put some rtv on it and she sealed right up. As far as the ticking valves, after quadruple checking them with no success, i got to looking at my old head compared to my new rebuilt one. Then i finally found it. The 4 lost motion assemblies in the top section of the rocker arm assy. were in upside down!! Thanks machine shop repair man!! I flipped those over and you guessed it. Runs like a sewing machine!
Not uncommon to screw up a valve job.

I figured it was the top gasket, did you replace the top gasket or just add rtv?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It was leaking out of the top triangle part between it and the head. It was a bad leak. I just put a small bead of rtv around it and torqued it back down. It is holding good now.