Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 civic ex idle surge or roaming

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 civic ex idle surge or roaming

I have a 1997 civic ex that I am having idle problems with. Quick rundown, the car sat for about a month (holidays and whatnot), I went to start it, adn it wouldn't crank right up, then started. I let it run a few minutes, then killed it agian for a week. I tried to start it back up and it cranked, thne fell on its face. Sounded like it ran out of gas. I wound up replacing cap (corrossion on the contacts) rotor, plugs and wires. Still no start. Did a little research and testing, came up with a coil. replaced the coil and wa-la, started right up. (sidenote: the plastic cover over the coil inside the distributor cap didn't make it back on) I let it idle for 10 minutes or so, then drove it around the block, it ran fine. I got back home, and left it idling, and it starts surging. Idling @ 2000, then drops to @ 500-600, then back to 2K, and back and forth. In gear, it isn't as bad, but still flucuates. I pulled the air inlet hose (from the airbox) and held my finger over the hole on the lower left of the TB. If I partially blocked it off, the idle settled down. I unplugged it (I believe its the FITV), the idle straightened out a little, but threw a CEL. I have two coolant lines going to that valve (whatever it is). My question is, can a coil or plug wires cause this? I don't have the bleeder valve to bleed the coolant system. I tried removing hte radiator cap and letting it run, I didn't get any air bubbles. Please help, I ma at my wits end.