Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Civic EX Automatic Shift Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Civic EX Automatic Shift Solenoid

Hello all,

The lock up torque converter is not working on my fathers Civic.

We went to the local auto parts store and ordered a shift solenoid, no big deal right? Well, $130 later and we get the solenoid. Turns out it doesn't even fit on the transmission! What?! Okay, no big deal we'll just look around and see what's going on here...

So, I've attached a couple pictures of what's going on. The solenoid that we got that is supposed to be for a 97 Civic EX automatic is the one that looks new and has a stamp on the bottom of it that says "421" The one that we took out of the car has a different bottom and the solenoids and channels are in different spots - it has 422 stamped on the bottom.

For the life of me, I can't find where to buy a replacement "422" solenoid online.

I also checked the transmission code for the tranny in this thing because who knows, maybe it was a swap and I found "B4RA-6093745 / VP2R60" on the sticker on the back. Is this the original transmission for this car?

Anyways, I hope someone can help, this is really frustrating and since the lock up torque converter isn't working properly this car is only getting ~22-25MPG and throwing CELs.

As always, thanks so much for reading - this forum has been a great help. I hope we can shed some light on this.
Attached Images     

Last edited by tastypotato; 03-02-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 97 Civic EX Automatic Shift Solenoid

Did you just buy the car? Or did this problem just start occurring? I'd start by checking exactly what CEL's are being thrown and go from there.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 97 Civic EX Automatic Shift Solenoid

Originally Posted by ewilliams1990
Did you just buy the car? Or did this problem just start occurring? I'd start by checking exactly what CEL's are being thrown and go from there.
We deduced that the upper shift solenoid would be what we are going to replace first because it's the easiest to get to. Can't remember what the CEL is right now though as it's not active.

I'm not actually asking for help troubleshooting the problem though, I'm trying to ask for help on finding the correct part so I can purchase it.

Nevermind - I found the part. Turns out that there are two of these solenoid bunches on this automatic transmission (I only work on manuals, so this is all uncharted territory for me) and we were looking at the shift A/B solenoid but we needed the lock up solenoid which is something completely different.

For anyone finding this later on, the P/N is 28300-P24-J01

Last edited by tastypotato; 03-02-2014 at 06:09 PM.