Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 civic DX - Need Guidance with exhaust, clutch, suspension, and engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 civic DX - Need Guidance with exhaust, clutch, suspension, and engine swap

Hello, everyone

I have a 97 civic DX (D16y7), she is in good shape, no rust, and runs great with 180,000 miles. I never thought I wanted to tune/mod the car until recently I realize that due to age a lot of parts are in need of replacement and the aftermarket, to say the least, is HUGE! and cheap!

Recently my catalytic convert decided it's time was up so in my search I found a stainless 4-2-1 header and stainless exhaust system for a good price. I purchased from speed daddy on the bay and all the parts fit nicely minus the small issue of it sounding like a tin can at mid range RPM.

So thats my first question: is there a simple fix such as a different resonator or is the answer I bought a cheap exhaust and it's a D motor?

My next minor issue is the clutch. It started slipping so I purchased a new clutch and I will be installing that this weekend. I've done a few clutches before but this will be my first on a FWD car. I've watched some videos and I'm not worried but any valuable tips would be helpful.

Next order of business is going to be the suspension. Pretty much every control arm, support bar/brace, shock, link, and bushing needs replacement and with all the options I have no clue where to start.

Lastly, my future plans would like to include a motor swap, V-tech, and a screaming passenger I can hardly hear over the exhaust/motor sound

Recommendations on any or all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank,
Jason
Old 04-15-2014, 05:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Need Some Guidance

A resonator would help a little, but the majority of the sound is due to the excessively thin and stretched walls of the exhaust itself.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Some Guidance

It has a resonator like the $25 ones you find on the bay, which resonator would you recommend?
Old 04-15-2014, 05:16 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 97 civic DX - Need Guidance with exhaust, clutch, suspension, and engine swap

The answer to your first question is "It's a cheap exhaust". Conveniently, though, there is a cheap fix - buy a Thrush Turbo muffler, and have it welded on. The muffler can be found at your local Advanced or Auto Zone, or through Amazon for <$30. Welding at a local shop should cost another $30-$50.

Clutch jobs are pretty straight forward. While you have the transmission off, though, you should absolutely have the flywheel turned, replace the rear main seal behind the flywheel, and flush your clutch hydraulics. Also, don't forget to adjust your clutch pedal travel. Remember, the flywheel bolts are reverse threaded!

As for suspension parts, yes, there are cheap parts out there, but you get what you pay for. Don't put lowering springs on stock shocks - they'll only blow out the shock. If you buy a coilover system, expect to spend $800+ depending on the quality. Koni Yellows with Ground Control springs are a good starting point, and you can find vendors in the marketplace selling them as package deals. Control arms are "bling" parts, and you don't need to upgrade them. There are different trains of thought as far as bushings go. Some people prefer polyurethane, some people prefer hardened rubber. I'm personally a polyurethane guy, and love my Energy master kit. Install them properly, take care of them, and you'll have years of performance out of them. If you want to go the hardened rubber route, Hard Race is the only company I can think of.

As far as future plans, and for future reference, nearly all of your questions will be answered by the FAQ's sticky at the top of this forum. You should definitely give it a read. Also, searching is your friend. No one likes answering the same question three times a day.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 civic DX - Need Guidance with exhaust, clutch, suspension, and engine swap

Thank you for the very helpful advice. I have been reading through the FAQ and figured some of my questions could be answered there just haven't got to it yet, tons of info to sift through.

Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:22 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The reason your exhaust is tinny is because you have no cat.

Clutches are wicked easy on civics. Get an exedy stock replacement. They're about $80 on rockauto.com.

Use hardrace or Honda for bushings. I would highly recommend against polyurethane for many many reasons. Use honda for ball joints and tie rods.

Good sites for factory (Honda) parts:
-bernardiparts.com
-hondaautomotiveparts.com