Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Civic CX - low power until above 3k rpm

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Civic CX - low power until above 3k rpm

Alright i have a 1997 Civic CX D16Y7 no power steering but I have A/C. My problem is I have a loss of power up to 3k or until 4th gear and I have a slight surging while climbing the rpm until 3k kind of like the a/c on. I have replaced the entire distributor ( all internals along with cap and rotor. in fact literally the entire thing), Wires, spark plugs, I have seafoamed it via full can in gas tank and full can through the brake boost line, deleted the header cat (becuase i thought it might be clogs due to funky readings of the O2 sensors)My A/C cluth is engaging and disengaging like normal, I also have a short ram on it was a factory S2K filter on it and I am throwing NO CEL's and my light comes on and goes of upon start up sequence. Help me with anything else I can do and every time I search this topic no ever post what they have done to fix it and I promise to post the fix. oh yeah and btw........ballz deep.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I've searched high and low and done everything people have said to fix but.....

Check your IACV
Old 07-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I've searched high and low and done everything people have said to fix but.....

Check your tps voltage. Make sure your at .45-.5 volts at fully closed throttle and I think its about 5.0 volts at wide open throttle. Make sure ithe voltage climbs gradually and not jumpy on the volt meter when you open and close the throttle. I had the same car with the same motor and the exact same problem. I replaced the 02 sensors and adjusted the tps to the correct voltage and it fixed this problem.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: 97 Civic CX - low power until above 3k rpm

Checking the TPS output voltages is a good idea.

Does the problem only occur with the A/C on?

Did you install an aftermarket distributor? Are you using basic NGK spark plugs?

Is the ignition timing set to spec using a timing gun?

Have you measured the fuel pressure, tested the FPR, and checked the fuel injectors?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you replace the distributor but don't adjust it, and just put it in there the timing is probably a little off which could very well cause the surging and lack of power.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Trial User

First off I would like to thank those of you who took the time to help me. But if i can only ask of more help it would be appreciated. Here is to answer all questions so we can move forward for this procedure.

Shiftking - the IACV is functioning properly and has correct reading via multi-meter. Thank you for your input.

frankenghia - The TPS has the correct readings. Thanks as well for your intput

RonJ@HT - No the problem isn't with A/C on or off specific. It is a Honda Genuine Part Distributor. Set to factory spec timing. I am using Normal NGK gap accordingly. I have not done a fp check or fpr and had my fuel injectors tested. However I an getting the worst MPG's maybe 27 to 30 mixed driving (I need a Gorame Wideband on it. Well it would be nice to have) Thank you mucho gusto senor for your input.

As of recently i also checked the MAP sensor and it read correctly. Also to not sounds super awesome I did a compression check on all four cylinders with only a 1 psi variance between cylinders and it has 218000 miles on it. The needle rose quickly for two compression strokes and then up to 174 to 175 with smaller stroked only letting the engine rotate for 7 compression strokes. (In some respects I love honda's)

If we have anyone else with the problem such as mine. I will be finishing this post to the bitter end.

I will let you know what I have come up with......
Old 07-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Trial User

UPDATE: I got a new fuel pressure regulator and swapped them out and NOTHING same *****.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Trial User

Yet another update. I tried to see if i could apply some liquid mechanic to the problem tell me if this was too much. a bottle of Lucas fuel injector cleaner, a bottle of restore fuel system cleaner, 2 bottles of turbo 108 (the large ones), a bottle of marvel mystery oil,a bottle of seafoam, a bottle of z-lube fuel cleaner and a full tank of 93.

Im not worried about what it will do harmful becuase it won't mess anything up i have added a lot of stuff to my del sol with no gas in it. so...

I have no seen an improvement and i have notice it only does the chugging in 1st or 2nd gear and it will only do it if I am at partial throttle, full throttle makes it go away.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

am having the same problem with my 3 stage vtec,its like something is holding the car back and then let it go.i think you need to check your cam timing.I'll do so in the weekend...