Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 civic coupe dash lights dead after installing aftermarket stereo

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 civic coupe dash lights dead after installing aftermarket stereo

Ok so i bought this car with a crappy aftermarket stereo installed. The car had no dash lights. So i pulled it out and what do i see. The illuminator and the dash light on wires are cut off.

My question here is, what is the purpose of both of these wires. And what happens when you cut them off? And if they are cut off, do i leave them like that, isolated/taped off or do they need be connected some where.

In essence, if all the wires from the factory stereo plug are cut off, do dash lights work or not. Like for example if you unplug the factory stereo, all the wires get disconnected. Do the dash lights still work or does the factory stereo need be installed for them to work.

Does any body here have any idea, if the light dimmer switch on the left is connected to the stereo and what effect does removal of factory stereo have on the dash lights.

So if any body who has installed an aftermarket stereo in a 97 civic, please reply with detail what did you do and how did you do it. Did you cut the wires or did you use the converter jack (which is recommended), if you did cut the wires what did you do with the illuminator and dash light on wires, and is there any connection for these wires on the converter jack.

I need a thorough reply, i do have the service manual for this car and i spent the whole day today figuring out why this thing is not working. The previous owners have played with it so much that there are wires hanging every where and connections from here to there every where.

I am considering getting a new or used complete dash wiring harness for this car, please let me know if that will help, taking it apart and putting that harness in is no problem for me, but i need to know beforehand what i am putting my leg into.

Thank you.

P.S. Please write in detail, one line replies do no good. Thanks.

Modified by billa48 at 10:09 PM 12/14/2007
Old 12-14-2007, 10:29 PM

Default Re: 97 civic coupe dash lights dead after installing aftermarket stereo (billa48)

Dont get a new dash harness because that would just be overkill, have you tried to reconnect the wires? also is the radio where the stock one was, or is it above the cup holder?
Old 12-15-2007, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The player is now installed where the factory radio was supposed to be, above the cigarette lighter, under the center vents. While going through the circuit diagram for this car, i just found out that both those wires have no purpose what so ever once disconnected. I can either install a bulb there just for the hell of it and watch it work with the dimmer. They have no effect on the total operation of the intertior lighting circuit. Which means that they can be cut off and taped up, put on a side with no worries.

Now the next thing to see here is the fuse box circuit diagram. I have to do some more reasearch here before i can get a solution for this, i will post detail analysis of this problem so if any one else faces the same situation.

Please write more. thank you.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok now when i am putting a fuse in the slot # 30, which is supposed to be dash lights slot, i get a long non stopping beeeeeeep, i think that means there is a short some where. but i have no idea where.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:28 AM

Default Re: (billa48)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by billa48 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok now when i am putting a fuse in the slot # 30, which is supposed to be dash lights slot, i get a long non stopping beeeeeeep, i think that means there is a short some where. but i have no idea where. </TD></TR></TABLE>

when you plug this fuse in, do you have your lights in the on position with the door open?
Old 12-15-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Re: (girlsaremean)

that's what i was wondering. push in the door pin switch when you put the fuse in.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes i have the lights switch on parking with the door open.

But when i plug this fuse in, i dont get lights at all, all i get is a long beep.