Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Civic Backfiring Occaisionally....

Old 09-30-2003, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Civic Backfiring Occaisionally....

Hey Guys,
I am occaisionally getting a backfire from my front end (at least this is what it sounds like).

I have chaged the rotor and cap recently. The plugs were done about 5 months ago and the wires were done in January 2003. I also completed the timing belt and water pump this weekend.

this backfire only happens once in a while and is not a constant thing. It generally only happens when the car is warm. The idle is perfect and I have never heard the thing backfire when revving in park or neutral.

This backfire only happens after a run on the highway when the engine it hot. I am beginning to think that maybe one of the wires is arching somewhere. What would be the best way to check this????? my other thought was that the spark plugs need to be re-gapped. They came pre-gapped for my honda right from the package.

Your input is appreciated....
Old 09-30-2003, 09:57 AM

Default Re: 97 Civic Backfiring Occaisionally.... (Konig)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Konig &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Guys,
I am occaisionally getting a backfire from my front end (at least this is what it sounds like).

I have chaged the rotor and cap recently. The plugs were done about 5 months ago and the wires were done in January 2003. I also completed the timing belt and water pump this weekend.

this backfire only happens once in a while and is not a constant thing. It generally only happens when the car is warm. The idle is perfect and I have never heard the thing backfire when revving in park or neutral.

This backfire only happens after a run on the highway when the engine it hot. I am beginning to think that maybe one of the wires is arching somewhere. What would be the best way to check this????? my other thought was that the spark plugs need to be re-gapped. They came pre-gapped for my honda right from the package.

Your input is appreciated....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ohh and it was doing this before I did the timing belt. It has been ongoing for a while now. Thanks again.

Old 09-30-2003, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What exactly is done to your civic? Do you have a stock motor? Need these details to better diagnose your problem
Old 09-30-2003, 10:01 AM

Default Re: 97 Civic Backfiring Occaisionally.... (JDMjdawg)

It's a stock motor, Auto tranny. It's an SI model (canada). I have a AEM Short Ram Intake, and AEM Tru Power Pulleys. The pulleys were put on after the backfiring started.

I have no other engine work done on the car.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bad wires or plugs? Do you have a CEL?
Old 10-01-2003, 12:34 AM

Default Re: 97 Civic Backfiring Occaisionally.... (97itr86)

Its generally happening when I hit the gas after a good run on the highway. It's sorta slugish then I get a little pop and then its drives fine again.

This doesn't happen all the time only when she is hot. There are times I can hammer it and she goes without an issue and there are times I hammer it and she is sluggish with no popping noise, generally though when it is sluggish she pops.....

I am beginning to think that maybe I have been mistaking the poping noise for the ignition system. It may be my tranny slipping a bit........could this be accurate???

Old 10-01-2003, 12:36 AM

Default Re: 97 Civic Backfiring Occaisionally.... (97itr86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97itr86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bad wires or plugs? Do you have a CEL?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry what is a CEL? If you mean a "Check Engine Light" then yes I have one but it is not on. It never comes on when the car is having the issue as the issue generally goes away quickly.

Old 10-02-2003, 12:25 AM

Well its pretty much official. I think it's tranny problems. I put the car into the auto gear number 2 today. I have NEVER put the car into this gear before.

I tried accelerating and all i got was sputtering. The car barley moved. The tranny was slipping all over the place.

I hope to god the tranny lasts until Oct 16...............I am doing a tranny swap then.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:24 PM

Turns out this problem was infact my transmission slipping. I am doing the b16a2 engine and tranny swap right now !!!