Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 CIVIC B18B CRANK BUT NO START

Old 05-08-2019, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default 97 CIVIC B18B CRANK BUT NO START

Hey guys I've had these problems so many times I dont have the time to anger myself with this one again so I'm looking for some help! I have a 97 civic with a b18b in it, have had it for a while no and Sunday when i went to start it it gave a crank but no start! I've never had this issue with THIS car before so i looked into a few options firstly. I also noticed the clicks from the fuel pump and relay were not there. changed the main relay and still no clicks. today I changed the fuel pump and still nothing. I had a walbaro in previously and replaced it with a new basic market one because I wasnt sure if the walbaro was used before purchase. anyone have this problem also or any opinions? please share!
Old 05-08-2019, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 CIVIC B18B CRANK BUT NO START

Check fuses 13 and 44. One may be blown.

Clean and tighten the G101 thermostat housing ground.

Then go from there.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

changed both fuses and still nothing. Tested the power to most and the battery. no power is being brought to the fuel pump at all. The CEL comes on and stays the whole time. having a hard time finding the g101. anyone got a easier way to mark it out?

Last edited by DaCalviOne; 05-09-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Right in the middle of your photo above... the 10mm bolt head through the pinched grounds of the engine harness attached to the thermostat housing just below the fuel feed line.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 View Post
Right in the middle of your photo above... the 10mm bolt head through the pinched grounds of the engine harness attached to the thermostat housing just below the fuel feed line.
took it off and nothing
Old 05-09-2019, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure that the thermostat bolts are tight. Then clean the aluminum of the thermostat housing and scrape the ground contact surfaces shiny... then re install the 10mm bolt and tighten to spec. Make sure that the heavy transmission ground between the trans case and the right frame rail is clean and tight as well... and if all this is good, and you still have issues, you have another problem. Maybe a bad ECU, bad main relay or bad key switch.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 View Post
Make sure that the thermostat bolts are tight. Then clean the aluminum of the thermostat housing and scrape the ground contact surfaces shiny... then re install the 10mm bolt and tighten to spec. Make sure that the heavy transmission ground between the trans case and the right frame rail is clean and tight as well... and if all this is good, and you still have issues, you have another problem. Maybe a bad ECU, bad main relay or bad key switch.
Ok weather wasnt going to hold up today so I'll try that tommorow. Ive already replaced the main relay. I had this problem before with a b series hatch but I dont remember for sure but I think it would work then not work but it was the ECU so I hope its along those lines.

Last edited by DaCalviOne; 05-09-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would look into the ignition switch since you say the fuel pump is not priming and main relay doesn't click..
you can use this thread to try to diagnose the ignition switch https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...agram-2926002/
Old 05-23-2019, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE: got a p75 ecu and it started! took a couple times but it runs on pretty low idle. use to sit at. 1 perfectly and sound great. now sounds rough and boggy. The ECU before was p28 before I switched. any ideas?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: