Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Civ LX, d16y7 battery light

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Civ LX, d16y7 battery light

Hello all, new to the forum. Name is Drew. I did some searching for battery light issues and alternator issues before posting to assure myself a little less of the new to forum redundant posting but it was to no avail.

So about 8 months ago, driving and battery light comes on at low rpm, goes away at high rpm. Alternator dying, it died while driving. Nothing new, car went completely dead, drained battery completely and all that and had it towed back. Honda master mechanic from a local dealership (my brother in law) replaced alternator and battery while I was mobilized (Army) and away from home (my fiance's civic).

Car runs again, smooth as silk..except the battery light is almost always on. So since I am not home I have her make the run to autozone, they check her battery its at 97% on their little tester crap they have and say her alternator is good also, same at lubestop when she gets her oil change done. So she takes it back to this Honda mechanic, who figures nothing out. He is stumped and stops trying.

I got home not too long ago and I decide to stick my nose into it, being as Ive spent about 7 years working around nissans (and mine was riddled with electrical problems). So I have the car running, battery light on as usual at idle and I test voltage, 14.7 at the battery. Battery charge stays good, never has issues starting, no dim lights, etc. Voltage at battery under no load good, voltage under load I haven't checked yet, will do later but I cant see that really being relevant since the light was on while not under load and the voltage was good.

What am I missing? It seems alternator output is performing properly, charging system is working properly as the battery isn't dead/dying and has good voltage at idle. If it was loose belt, which it doesn't feel loose, it would affect the charging system, voltage, ability to recharge battery, etc. So I too, am stumped.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: 97 Civ LX, d16y7 battery light

Had this happen before on a non Honda. Put a new rebuilt alternator and the light would come on. Tested good but finally exchange the alternator for another one and the light went off.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 97 Civ LX, d16y7 battery light

I just picked up the FSM and am going to go through all the stuff in there to eliminate options. It will most likely be the alternator as you said, I know the reman's are usually trash, I recall him saying he didn't install a reman but who knows. He may have damaged a wire in the process also.