Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 Hatch Header/ exhaust question

Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Hatch Header/ exhaust question

Ok so I have a 1996 civic DX Hatchback d16y7. The exhaust manifold is cracked and is getting worse daily. So I ordered an ebay header. Don't bother flaming me or telling me I get what I pay for.

My question is what is the best method for adding a CAT back into the equation. How crappy will it sound if I just bolt it up as is?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130849870193...84.m1497.l2649
hat is the header I ordered.

If I can acquire an exhaust from an EX model will it bolt right up? I guess I am just worried about how it will sound and if it is going to be a problem hooking up the 02 sensors. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

I know this question has been asked before but I could not seem to find a hatch specific answer. Most threads I found turned into people arguing or flaming the op for trying to achieve a cost effective method of replacing a stock exhaust that is known to be problematic.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 Hatch Header/ exhaust question

it'll take some modification(shortening iirc) but beyond that it should bolt up just fine.
shouldn't sound too terrible as long as the header is the only ebay part.

i do believe you'll have to extend the wires for the post o2, since you should have a pre and post o2. im not so good with obd2 things.

see if grumble or one of the more knowledgeable with all years hondas can come in here and help ya. i stick to obd1's.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Meh, those cheap eBay headers work. Do yourself a favor, though. Clean it with rubbing alcohol before installing it, and NEVER touch it with your bare skin. Keep it as clean as possible while you're installing it, and take it for a good run to heat it up afterwards. Otherwise, it'll look all sorts of fucked up.

Basically what you're doing is converting to an EX-style exhaust. You'll need a cat that matches the outlet, which is 2". Your best bet would be to buy a generic (non-flanged) cat from a reputable vendor and bring it to a local exhaust shop. Have them weld on some matching flanges and bolt it in. It's a straight forward job.

Yes, that header will make it sound like *** until you get a proper cat installed. FYI - If it costs less than $100, it probably isn't a real cat, just a test pipe. Also, until you have a new cat installed, your CEL will be on.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran catless for a week before switching to a p28 ecu and I had no cel. All depends on car.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:20 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm assuming you got something like this:

If so make sure your primary 02 goes in the spot at the end of the header and not the location on the one header primary. Then your second 02 will go either behind the cat or inside it depending on which one they weld in. Also from my experience the gasket that goes in between the 4-2 section usually sucks so do yourself a favor and go to the auto store and get some exhaust gasket material and trace the one they send you and cut it out and use that instead.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do yourself a favor IF you decide to run a cat, get a vibrant high flow steel core- no issues with mine for 2+ yrs (70$) plus shipping. I held it up to the sun and can practically see right through it- flows way better than stock and is much smaller/lighter. Car will now backfire w/o straight pipe lol
Old 02-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There isn't much to achieve by what your doing... But whatever floats your boat..

When my cat/manifold started to leak on my 97 D16Y7, I was going to put a Y8 setup on the car.. I still have it all in the garage....

I ended up just going with a nifty aftermarket OE replacement I found it on Kijiji.. Works well..

You need to extend your O2 sensor as well. I went to a junk yard and acquired what I needed to make one when I was going to do what your doing.. Then I realized, whats the point..

[IMG][/IMG]

If you can find a good used cat off an EX for cheap, that would be awsome..

Or you can buy an aftermarket, just be sure it is up to the task, and has an 02 bung with a slant.

Modifying the intake is also a much better way to go on the Y7...

Buying an over priced HAI is ridiculous on this motor..
Old 02-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not trying to "achieve" anything man I have a cracked header that sounds like ish. My car is bone stock and I am just looking for a way to get rid of the exhaust leak without spending 500 dollars on an oem replacement. Not looking for hp gains or anything like that. it is my daily driver, to and from work and school.

So if I just decide to run no cat will I have to add a defowler to the secondary o2 sensor? Also what is the purpose of the extender. the mount for the 2nd o2 sensor looks like it will be right about where it sits in the stock system?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Run a cat. You need to contribute to cleaner air. A catless Civic is the most rotten SOB ever..

The extender is for the secondary o2 sensor..

Now that the cat is not on the front of the motor, you need to extend the wiring to back by the shifter where the new cat will be..

You can get an OEM replacement for just over $200...

The header...

The cat..

the O2 extender..

The cost of labor for modification..

Its not worth it.

But your this far now, give r'...
Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I hate when People reply and obvious read about 3 words of the original post.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so if I eliminate the cat I should be fine? Just might sound crappy?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hatchnewb
I hate when People reply and obvious read about 3 words of the original post.

I read everything...

And I'm giving you advice on how to do this right... But it seems you want to hack..

If the header is for Y8, it will definitely fit to the Y7 connections..

The dimensions are all correct except for pipe diameter difference, thus, the ball and socket gasket may not fit/seal very well.. I recommend mounting up to the right size connections... Which would be the EX flange before the cat...

Best bet is to get an aftermarket cat and take it to a shop and get it fitted... they will have the correct universal flange you will need.

Or if you can get an entire exhaust after the manifold off of an EX, that will work... Just use your muffler...

Your going to have a CEL without a cat. You won't pass an e-test.

And you'll drive people nutz