Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 Ex Manual interior harness, auto engine harness, need help with reverse lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ex Manual interior harness, auto engine harness, need help with reverse lights

Alright, so I posted up not long ago about my locks and stuff not working. ALL of my windows, locks, mirrors and every work now! I swapped the entire inside cabin harness from the auto one to the manual however, now that i did so I cant seem to figure out the reverse lights.

I have been reading all the write ups for the Auto to manual however everyone retains the stocks harnesses. Like i said i have an interior cabin/dash/everything harness from another 96ek, the engine harness is the stock 96 auto harness. The engine itself is a B20B with an LS transmission, after swapping interior harness the engine wont fire but it does crank. I simply havent troubeshot it yet really not too worried about that yet.

Question is: Where do the wires go i have the yellow/green back wires but where do they plug into?? i found a green/back on the green cabin harness connector but im still alittle lost. Do you think i will need to also get a manual engine harness? Pictures below to help. Thank you everyone

Just a picture of my swap itself

here is the connector in the engine bay that connects to the switch on the transmission

This is the green/black wire that i found that connects to the green plug on the cabin harness

These are the wires that lead into the ECU that have been cut from the auto plug
auto plug

Old swtich that was on the old harness you can see where the reverse lights were previously wired
Old 05-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 Ex Manual interior harness, auto engine harness, need help with reverse lights

Bumpity bump bump!!!
Old 05-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: 96 Ex Manual interior harness, auto engine harness, need help with reverse lights

Reverse lights are easy. You will need to run new wires to the switch on the trans though.

The wires you need are the "large" plug that would normally run to the auto shift box.

Find the Yellow/red, and Green/black wires and cut them
Solder on your new wires and run them to reverse light sensor on the trans.

Now, you can use some crimpers and stick in the connector on the sensor, OR (the way I did with my conversion). Cut the other side of the plug off the harness, and solder your new wires to it. Plug that into the sensor and you will have reverse lights. I did it like that so I can easily unhook if I need to, and it will still keep some of the factory look.

It doesn't matter which color wire goes to which on the plug, so don't worry about that.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well you see this is part of the problem because i I longer have the plug that would normally run the auto shifter box because i have the manual interior harness.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe the circuit is a open loop, I just need to know what wires to tap into on the manual cabin harness to run the wires or if maybe there is somewhere on the ecu I can repin?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I missed that. In either case, the same thing would work. Just run 2 new wires (off the 2 you just cut) and run those to the reverse light switch on the trans.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright for an update, found some interesting work around and also made an absolute fool of myself!! So in regards to the actual situation that I was working on. Manual interior harness - auto engine harness, I was able to actually use the green/black and yellow wires from the harness it actually went to the plug for the reverse switch (could of been done by the previous owner). I took the yellow and hooked it up to a 12v power source (driven by the ignition). As for the Green/black wire i ran it to where I KNEW for a fact that it went to the reverse lights which was at the quarter panel plug. Kinda made a T intersection tapping into it. With this situation i got it to work for future reference i will DEFINITELY just keep the auto interior harness.

After i figured this out i had a problem, car simply WOULD NOT START. I drove myself CRAZYYY trying to find the issue, I checked every ground, every fuse one by one, created new engine grounds re-tightened old ones. Checking power to all cables and everything was good!! The only possible thing i could thing of was the distributor it was getting zero spark check power at the black/yellow wire and got nothing. I Ripped out the newly installed manual harness and put the old worn auto harness back in and STILL nothing. Then it hit me, behind the fuse box there was a green plug attached to a black/yellow wire. felt behind the fuse box and BAM empty connection... Plugged it in car fired up instantly...........

Old 05-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi, i'm currently doing tranny swap from auto to manual. it's a B16a5 engine and i'm putting in S80 box. i've read that i'll also need to swap ECU for one from manual car. I'm looking at getting P28 chipped ECU and i understand that i'll need OBD2-OBD1 conversion. when i contacted one of the eBay sellers that selling P28 ecu, he said i'll also need to change engine harness. is this correct? perhaps this is the case in D series engines? or am i totally wrong here? i havent got a clue about ECUs, electronics etc. i'd appreciate your help. many thanks
Old 05-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As long as you get the OBD2-obd1 converter you will be alright. It's much easier to use the wiring harness from auto and have and extra plug dangling then to buy and replace a harness!
Old 05-27-2014, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks a lot! what's the extra plug for that i wouldnt be using?
Old 05-29-2014, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The extra plug is for the Automatic transmission components such as the solenoids. A auto harness is essentially a manual harness with extra wiring lol pin outs are generally the same for the most part. There are small differences such as the reverse lights tho.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:09 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I don't think the conversion harness has anything to do with the reverse lights. Those need to be wired directly to the shifter console harness.