Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 ex hesitating on bumps.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 ex hesitating on bumps.

Hey guys, loooong time lurker. I thought I had a log in but I guess i never got one. Sorry if this ends up a long post, just want to explain everything thats going on.

I have a 96 ex coupe, pretty much all stock motor wise. i/h/e, lowering springs.

When I'm on the freeway hitting bumps causes my car to hesitate, almost like it doesn't get fuel for a second. Now I'm not talking like "holy shiat I should have avoided that" size bumps or dips. Something as small as lane divider dots will cause my car to do it.

The car has 2 CEL's one for rear o2 and one for CYP (p1382). I replaced my distributor but I still have the code. The cyp code leads me to believe its electrical.
I also get a wobble that feels like its in the passenger side. That problem is leading me to axles and tie rods.

I was wondering if the axles could cause that hesitation from dips. If not what else could it be? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 ex hesitating on bumps.

The dizzy code sounds like wireing unless u have another bad dizzy but the misfires im pertty sure it spark plug wires i had same problem with my crx the plug wire dont touch the spark plugs all the way it runs good still but when you move them or hit a bump that what causes that misfire/ hesitation problem hope it works
Old 05-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Trial User

When I bought the car I had an issue with the spark plug wires when i first got the car last year but that was the first thing I fixed. Brand new wires and plugs.

When I bought the car it had the lowering springs, no name 2 piece header, and ghetto fabulous exhaust. I've added a high flow cat, apexi ws2 catback, NGK wires and NGK plugs.

I didn't always have the stuttering over bumps problem, it recently came about. Also sometimes it will hesitate when giving it gas, or letting off.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i pertty sure thats what it is check the plug wires push hard all the way down on them,Non oem plug wire like autozone wire sets do it all the time i work at honda i know but either that did the code for the dizzy come up right when this problem strated because you drive without cyp sensor all day long but if the wires are shorted that can cause a problem
Old 05-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like i said i had the same problem i go get on the gas from a stop a it would like bog and kind of hesitat feeling until u get up in rpm then i would stop and run good until vibartion would do it again or you hit a bump
Old 05-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Trial User

I would check the wiring for the dizzy.....i had a 89 civic that i hhad replaced the dizzy on and the idiot that i got the distributor from cut the plug off so i had to rewire a plug onto it and one wire didnt have a perfect connection and once in a while when i would give it gas or let off or even hit a bump the car would stutter or bog down for just a brief second until connection was re-established......check all your wire harnes fittings as well
Old 05-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by G3ARH3AD
I would check the wiring for the dizzy.....i had a 89 civic that i hhad replaced the dizzy on and the idiot that i got the distributor from cut the plug off so i had to rewire a plug onto it and one wire didnt have a perfect connection and once in a while when i would give it gas or let off or even hit a bump the car would stutter or bog down for just a brief second until connection was re-established......check all your wire harnes fittings as well
Thats kind of what I was thinking. I'm off tomorrow so I'll dive into the dizzy connector and make sure its straight. I hate wiring work with a passion, haha.

Originally Posted by Danielsb20crx
i pertty sure thats what it is check the plug wires push hard all the way down on them,Non oem plug wire like autozone wire sets do it all the time i work at honda i know but either that did the code for the dizzy come up right when this problem strated because you drive without cyp sensor all day long but if the wires are shorted that can cause a problem
I figured my plug wires were fine but I checked anyway, thats all fine.

The car's had the CYP code since I bought it.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Trial User

Just an update, I went out and checked the dizzy plug. A few of the wires seemed loose, so I fixed those connections. Turns out I left my code reader at a friends house. Will get back to you and let you know if its gone.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have same problem :[ I'm also gonna check the wiring

Last edited by erod21; 05-04-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: left out info
Old 05-08-2011, 06:06 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by geeohdee702
Just an update, I went out and checked the dizzy plug. A few of the wires seemed loose, so I fixed those connections. Turns out I left my code reader at a friends house. Will get back to you and let you know if its gone.
updates?? did that seem to fix the problem at all?