Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 EX clutch choice & LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 EX clutch choice & LSD?

I'm reconditioning an S40 for my 96 Civic EX. I've broken it down to replace the ISB and seal, and check the unit out - it's a used unit to swap into my auto equipped EX. The transmission looks really good, ISB even looks/feels good. The synchronizers look fine -really, they look new. I think I'm the first person to open this unit, but I'm amazed how well it's survived.

I did reseat the countershaft bearing - it was slightly above the surface of the pocket.

I'm going to replace the ISB and seal.

What kind of clutch is recommended for daily driving and maybe a few autocrosses thrown in - primary use being DD.

Would an LSD be agreeable with daily driving, and a decent benefit for amateur autocrossing? I'm looking at the mFactory units...

Lastly, am I missing the boat if I stick an LSD in there without any other upgrades?

Last edited by cheggie; 03-20-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 96 EX clutch choice & LSD?

Originally Posted by cheggie
I did reseat the counteshaft bearing - it was slightly above the surface of the pocket.
Make sure you stake it in there with a center punch or it will walk out again and you'll have issues with 2nd gear popping out.

What kind of clutch is recommended for daily driving and maybe a few autocrosses thrown in - primary use being DD.
Exedy OEM or stage 1 clutch will probably be fine.

Would an LSD be agreeable with daily driving, and a decent benefit for amateur autocrossing? I'm fooking at the mFactory units...
You wont have an issues daily driving with a good helical LSD. And it would be excellent benefit for autocrossing or drag racing.

Lastly, am I missing the boat if I stick an LSD in there without any other upgrades?
Not really, no.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: 96 EX clutch choice & LSD?

Stake the CSB of it will walk out again. Replace the mainshaft spring washer and detent bolt washers as well (the three bolts on the bottom of the trans case).

The LSD will help a lot with autocrossing and is nice for daily driving as well.

I use and recommend the Action 1MD (6-puck unsprung) but if you want something a little less aggressive you can run the Action 1KS (segmented kevlar sprung disc). I don't like organic clutches (OEM, most stage 1's). They don't last long under performance driving and I just don't like the fact that the friction material is the equivalent of wood.

Changing anything else in the trans is up to you. A final drive would make it more fun and should help you on most autocross courses. Search for threads created by me in this forum and you'll find a comparison of different gearing setups for the D series (albeit drag racing, but still a good comparison). If you want to order the LSD, clutch, or anything else you can PM me.