Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 ek civic d16y8 reverse lights will not work

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 96 ek civic d16y8 reverse lights will not work

Hello, i have a 96 dx hatch with a d16y8 manual transmission. I have checked the fuses, bulbs and wiring. It doesnt appear to be a switch on the transmission like most cars for the reverse lights. I also dont see any kind of switch near the shift linkage. Is there something i might be missing?

The car was originally an automatic with the d16y7 until the owner before me did the engine swap from a 2000 civic. I have purchased a haynes manual with a wiring diagram and only see the a/t gear position sensor switch and have not found anything to do with the reverse lights.

Please help if you can. I really appreciate it!!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 ek civic d16y8 reverse lights will not work

i believe on an automatic chasis it would be by the gear selector vrs a manuel trans would be on the trans it self by the slave cylinder not sure thow
Old 05-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The wiring that originally came from the gear selector is cut.. But the computer wiring harness and computer was replaced when the motor swap was done. I thought i was checking the reverse light switch on the trans but it turned out to be the speed sensor. As i was looking at it i thought to myself this cant be the reverse trans switch as it had a gear with teeth and an engagement of some sort.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you have to find the wires for the auto gear selector. and run the wires off the reverse switch on the trans to them. its a pain in the ***. my integra was manual swapped before I bought it and they guy never ran em.. I really dont care, I just dont have reverse lights.. oh well.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm finishing this swap as we speak, so I've been looking over wiring diagrams. The automatic used a switch on the shifter to activate the reverse lights. The manual transmission's switch is on top of the transmission, it's metal with black plastic, screws in, and has a two wire connector. Remove the console and look for a large rectangular connector on top of the "tunnel" in the floorpan. You're looking for a yellow wire with red stripe, and a green wire with a black stripe. These need to be connected to the pins of the reverse switch. It doesn't matter which way they're hooked up, the switch is just an open/close deal, no polarity to it.

The yellow/red stripe wire should have power when the car is on(from fuse 13) , green/black stripe goes back to the reverse lights.

Here's pictures from my swap, shows the reverse switch on the S40 5 speed, next pic is the connector that holds the reverse light wiring on a car originally equipped with an automatic.
Attached Images   

Last edited by cheggie; 05-02-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure of the wire colours but cheggie has the right info on how to get your back-up lights working.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you!! I will check it out when i have time. Today i have school followed by work no time to work on my baby..
Old 05-02-2011, 06:06 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by lunareg
you have to find the wires for the auto gear selector. and run the wires off the reverse switch on the trans to them. its a pain in the ***. my integra was manual swapped before I bought it and they guy never ran em.. I really dont care, I just dont have reverse lights.. oh well.
It's not that bad. I helped do a auto-> manual swap in my cousin's EJ1 coupe and it was simple. You just have to know what you're doing. In NC, non-working reverse lights will not pass inspections.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
It's not that bad. I helped do a auto-> manual swap in my cousin's EJ1 coupe and it was simple. You just have to know what you're doing. In NC, non-working reverse lights will not pass inspections.
oh i live in the middle of no-where in Illinois.. we have no inspections what-so-ever on cars 95 or older, basically if you have factory obd1.. no inspection. my teg is my winter car so I never wanted to even mess around with trying to re-wire that crap lol
Old 05-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i just got home from work a lil bit ago. Long day. Just have school tomorrow till 2:15 and when i get home i will see if i can get that crap wired up. It appears that im going to have to find out which wires are which as one of the plugs are cut off from that harness. Ready to have that car road worthy and inspectable so i can drive my freakin vehicle. Haha.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know this thread is old

question if anyone knows: where on the engine harness do the wires from the manual reverse switch attach to the cabin? i have an auto to manual conversion done and have for years but ran my own wire and plug to the switch and everything works fine. BUT i would like to just integrate it to the engine harness rather then have an extra plug going to the bay. so i want to know at what point/ what connector do those reverse switch wires attach to the car or cabin harness. thanks
Old 05-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a neat little trick - I don't know exactly where the oe connector came out. However, on an automatic car, the connector for the lockup solenoids on top of the automatic trans uses the same connector and wiring colors as the connector for the reverse lights. When I did my swap, I cut the unused connectors off and taped the stubs into the harness, left the lockup solenoid connector alone, and it reached the reverse lights perfectly. I de pinned the yellow/red trace and green/black trace wires from the unused automatic connector at the pcm, and ran a short set of wires behind the glovebox to the big gray connector behind the console. I didn't have to run any new wires under the hood, and it looks like it came that way. Try it!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bleedblue94
i know this thread is old

question if anyone knows: where on the engine harness do the wires from the manual reverse switch attach to the cabin? i have an auto to manual conversion done and have for years but ran my own wire and plug to the switch and everything works fine. BUT i would like to just integrate it to the engine harness rather then have an extra plug going to the bay. so i want to know at what point/ what connector do those reverse switch wires attach to the car or cabin harness. thanks
so no one knows?