Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 civic tranny help 2nd gear not working PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 civic tranny help 2nd gear not working PLEASE HELP

hello i have a 96 civic with a stock d16y8 and stock tranny i know i need a new clutch but recently when i tried to put it into second gear it would make a grinding noise like i miss shifted and wouldnt let it go in then the rpms would go down and i would throw it in and it would be ok now it doesnt even go into second it just makes the grinding sound is this because me clutch is bad or is my tranny going bad as well thank you any help would be appreciated
Old 07-18-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: 96 civic tranny help 2nd gear not working PLEASE HELP (96civiclexus)

anybody please
Old 07-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like synchros. But just wait for the tranny god to show his face. He'll let you know whats wrong with it.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sr420Det)

yup thats what it is synchros. they are going bad just get a new tranny they are not that much and eazy to put on.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: 96 civic tranny help 2nd gear not working PLEASE HELP (96civiclexus)

yea i thought it was my synchros but then i scratched that because on my hatch it pops out but it still works as long as i hold it in......anyways does anybody got a tranny for sell????
Old 07-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its the blocking ring on the syncro its not slowing to let the syncro and gear mesh propely so it goes in to fast and grindes
Old 07-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (matt da jdm junkie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by matt da jdm junkie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its the blocking ring on the syncro its not slowing to let the syncro and gear mesh propely so it goes in to fast and grindes
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Blocking ring and synchro ring are the same thing....

The synchros will wear out quick if you shift into a gear that doesn't work, good way to ruin the synchro spring/gear.

Put your car in 1st gear and rock the car back and forth with the ebrake off, see if you can hear the transmission shafts pushing off each other, if you hear this, and it jumps forward a considerable amount, ISB is shot.

You can also put it in first gear and with the engine running let the clutch out slowly, and watch the shifter, if it takes a hop forward, ISB is shot.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96civiclexus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hello i have a 96 civic with a stock d16y8 and stock tranny i know i need a new clutch but recently when i tried to put it into second gear it would make a grinding noise like i miss shifted and wouldnt let it go in then the rpms would go down and i would throw it in and it would be ok now it doesnt even go into second it just makes the grinding sound is this because me clutch is bad or is my tranny going bad as well thank you any help would be appreciated </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like it's time for a rebuild or a new tranny.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:08 PM

sorry wat the hell is ISB????
Old 07-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96civiclexus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry wat the hell is ISB????</TD></TR></TABLE>

Input shaft bearing or mainshaft bearing. It sits in the trans case and is usually the first bearing to go bad in Honda trannies, along with the throwout bearing.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:31 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sadly, your all wrong.

Countershaft clutchside bearing has walked out of the case.

BTW: only idiots who know nothing about D-Series trannys blame the synchros

I've only seen two exploded blocking rings, one was mine. They get wiped out by shiter fork breakage.

I'd post pics, but photobucket is dowm for maintaince
Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 PM
D Tranny Guru

Default Re: (slowcivic2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Blocking ring and synchro ring are the same thing....

The synchros will wear out quick if you shift into a gear that doesn't work, good way to ruin the synchro spring/gear.

Put your car in 1st gear and rock the car back and forth with the ebrake off, see if you can hear the transmission shafts pushing off each other, if you hear this, and it jumps forward a considerable amount, ISB is shot.

You can also put it in first gear and with the engine running let the clutch out slowly, and watch the shifter, if it takes a hop forward, ISB is shot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Blocking ring and synchro ring are two different parts

If the shifter moves around in first gear, it's your motor mounts and shifter linkage, not the ISB.

If you wanna teach class, atleast provide the correct answers.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mista Bone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mista Bone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Blocking ring and synchro ring are two different parts

If the shifter moves around in first gear, it's your motor mounts and shifter linkage, not the ISB.

If you wanna teach class, atleast provide the correct answers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Blocking rings/synchro rings/stop rings are the same part, just different names, Honda calls it a synchro ring, different manufacturers call it different names. Ring gear/internal gear/annulus gear are all the same thing in an automatic transmission planetary gearset, again, just given a different name by the manufacturer.

I've see many ISB's fail and jump out of gear and the needle bearing stays in its hole, every once and a while I see one that comes out with a needle bearing failure.

My explanation for that is simple, the helix's on the gears thrust side to side and cause the torque lock cuts on the collar/ring/gear to push out of gear since the shaft itself is thrusting (due to bearing failure). Sometimes this will ruin the gear, ring, and slider because the torque lock surfaces (or back taper) will be destroyed with shifting into that gear even though it does not work, which will make it that much more likely to fall out again. (even if the bearings are replaced) This torquing of the shafts along its axis is what causes the shifter to "jump" because the shaft is grabbing the fork and pulling it.

The torquing of the shafts will also permit the needle bearing to walk out of its hole, since the helix gear design allows thrust both sideways, and up and down, because the nature of that gear is to twist/push off the other, the reason that 1st gear has a thrust washer under it. Why Honda did not put a locking tab on the needle bearing in the D-series gearbox is beyond me...

Modified by slowcivic2k at 3:08 PM 7/19/2007
Old 07-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mista Bone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sadly, your all wrong.

Countershaft clutchside bearing has walked out of the case.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have seen this happen before, with not so pretty results.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wiZCo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wiZCo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have seen this happen before, with not so pretty results. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So have I, but I have not seen as many walk out, I get them once in a while, but the ISB problem is like the black death for that transmission.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:50 PM
D Tranny Guru

Synchro ring is made from brass, has teeth, the blocking ring is just a thin ring of steel......

#8 and #9 in this pic shows it.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Synchro/Stop/Blocking Rings are usually made of brass, the spring itself, which is there to keep tension on the slider, is called a synchro spring by Honda, some manufacturers call them key rings, or key springs, and affix to the hub itself. Honda integrated the keyways into the synchro ring and put the spring on the outside of those keyways.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:06 PM

thanx everyone