Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 civic no start limited tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:34 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 civic no start limited tools

Hey all, new here and new to Hondas in general. I'm a Chevy guy working on my buddy's Civic. I grabbed a Chilton and whatever tools friends had, which are quite lacking, and am trying to troubleshoot this problem. I will try to include as much info as I can because I know that is the only way I can expect help.

So a couple weeks ago we took the car to Shucks and did a code grab and the car threw 5 codes. 3 I believe are tranny related, which is not the issue I'm focused on right now as that has been going bad for awhile now, the other 2 I think are relevant to the current no start. The codes it threw are:
P0171: The fuel system is too lean
P0420: Catalyst efficiency is below threshold (bank 1)
and the ones that I believe are tranny related:
P0700: Automatic transaxle system malfunction
P0715: Mainshaft speed sensor circuit malfunction
P0730: Shift control system

Right now I am just trying to get the car to start and will worry about the trans later. So far, with the tools available to me, I have listened for the fuel pump hum(good), tested for spark(good on the tester, will replace plugs in the next few minutes), checked for fuel delivery(couldn't see or smell any, replaced fuel filter and smelled fuel with plug out upon cranking). I didn't have a gapper when I checked for spark but when I had the plugs themselves out they sparked, although not very well so I got new ones and a gapper to make sure thats good.

I have also tried starter fluid in the manifold and that doesn't help. I'm looking for the cheapest things to try because the owner of the car is ******* broke. I'm super new to working on Hondas, any help would be appreciated, even if you have to tell me I'm dumb.

Thanks in advance, hope I gave enough info.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 96 civic no start limited tools

Reset the ECU to see which codes return/repeat.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:43 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I will reset the ECU tomorrow. I replaced the plugs with proper gaps and it still wont start... Even with starter fluid. Will try ECU relearn tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 01-30-2015, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts

The codes you listed shouldn't keep it from starting, if it's a non-Si/EX they are most likely caused by a crack between the #2 and #3 runners on the exhaust manifold. It's almost a universal failure on these cars.

So you have spark and most likely air. Have you checked to see if the injectors are pulsing? Use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope to listen while someone cranks the car. Beyond that, remove the oil cap and look to see if the cam is turning. Pull the upper t-belt cover and check mechanical timing.