Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 civic - losing coolant & overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 civic - losing coolant & overheating

Hi everyone!

I have a 96 honda civic that seems to have cooling system issues. It has been losing coolant for a while, and sometimes it gets low - starts to overheat, and I fill it back up and go on. But recently I tried that and it didn't work, so I took it to a mechanic. Their report was that there were bubbles in the line that got worse at high rpm - which they said pointed to either a head gasket leak or a warped head (due to the overheating).

I was going to attempt a head gasket swap, but wanted to check with some other people before I attempt it. Thoughts?
Old 06-07-2014, 11:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 96 hinda civic cooling system issues

Head gaskets are replaced not swapped.

there's tools you can use specifically to check for bad head gsskets. A block tester checks for exhaust gas in the coolant and will give you an affirmative answer.

some people may suggest to re-use bolts but that's typically frowned upon, you should consider getting replacement bolts like ARP head studs.

you should also have the head checked for warpage, and have it milled if some is there
Old 06-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Before assuming that you found a reputable mechanic who isn't trying to make a couple bucks from you. You may want to look into the smaller things first. Like coolant temp sensor, cooling fan switch, Thermostate, and maybe some leaks. It could be a simple fix as long as it hasn't been damaged from the over heating. Is there any smoke coming out off the tail pipe? Does your oil look like chocolate milk?
Old 06-07-2014, 12:12 PM
I am Jack's...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of shops like to SELL the big job. If you are not just boiling over with the cap off, you may just need to fill and bleed it properly to start diagnosing it correctly.

Your Civic has a bleeder screw on the t stat housing that must be opened when cold filling. Also, when warming up the first time it has to be cracked open a few times to release air from pockets in the head, block and heater core. Once the stat opens, the fans come on for a cycle, then top off the radiator and watch for bubbles or violent discharge.
If you are not getting a STEADY stream of new bubbles (just a couple here and there), and not just poping out water plops randomly; put the cap back on and fill the exspansion tank to the correct HOT level line.

Observe the cars from underneath for leaks as the cooling sysytem builds pressure.
It is ok to pull and twist on hoses lightly to induce a leak. Healthy hoses can take it and feel firm, weak hoses can not and feel mushy and you may find a leak. The hoses connected to the cylinder head are the usual culprits and will spring leaks often. Like under the distributor and on the intake for throtle body warming.

If you have access to a pressure checker for the cooling system, the leak is easier to find. Pump it up to 15 and look for the drip. Bad luck if it comes from the timing cover on the drivers side. The water pump and belts etc. have to be changed together. Do not re use a timing belt if it was wet.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was having the same thing i would check the heater and bypass hoses. mine was ripped right at the hose clamp and would lose a little bit of water(coolant) and would over heat like every 2 weeks. i disconnected the fan and ran the car until it was 3/4 hot until i found a leak. good luck
Old 06-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 civic - losing coolant & overheating

Thanks for all the info guys. The shop I took it too is the one I have been going to for years, and they are usually really good about this stuff. The guy I was talking to basically said it could probably end up costing more than the car is worth to fix if it required a new engine, and suggested I just give up and get another car.

I have another vehicle, and am just looking for some help getting this one running again as a learning/side project. But I have found a machine shop that I think I will take the head to and get them to check it for me if I do replace the gasket. I will look at getting new bolts!

I will check as much as I can again to see if they are misleading me before going any further though. I'll post what I find and see if it still sounds like the problem.