Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   96 Civic looking for a swap, i need info (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/96-civic-looking-swap-i-need-info-992193/)

Bor 09-15-2004 01:42 PM

96 Civic looking for a swap, i need info

i have a 96 civic ex. i am looking for a new engine to swap into my car. I originally wanted to put a JDM integra type-R engine into my car. I talked to a tune shop today and told me that a type R engine is going to put more HP out but since it has a higher compression ratio it will only hold about 3 to 5 PSI. They suggested that i get the LS engine since it has a lower compression ratio i could run about 12 PSI. i only have a limited amount of money to spend so i was going to turbo charge the LS or keep the type R NA (they told me it will be similar in costs) i was looking for some input on what i should do. the pros and cons of both options. I am leaning towards the LS turbo but i feel that it wont be very reliable or as reliable as a type R. I am mainly looking for a combo between power and reliability. i am far from being a mechanic so keep that in mind. So any info you can give me about a 96 civic coupe swap would be great.

Ricey McRicerton 09-15-2004 01:44 PM

Re: 96 Civic looking for a swap, i need info (Bor)

Just drop the ITR in if you're not willing or able to work on your car when little things break. Better yet, if your not able or willing to work on them when they break, keep your stock motor. Most places won't begin to mess with a car with a swap.

Revolver 09-15-2004 01:45 PM

I would go LS turbo, however c5's are the shit. Your mechanic sucks. Read the rules, then search.

Bor 09-15-2004 01:46 PM

Re: 96 Civic looking for a swap, i need info (Ricey McRicerton)

Its not that i cant or wont work on my engine, its the fact i dont know enough.... i am learning as i go^^

Ricey McRicerton 09-15-2004 01:47 PM

Then just swap in the B18C5 using the information on this site and leave that as is.

ABK 09-15-2004 01:48 PM

Re: 96 Civic looking for a swap, i need info (Revolver)

Me vote LS turbo (best bang for the buck out of your choises). Screw TypeR lol, I think it's overpriced.

Ricey McRicerton 09-15-2004 01:51 PM

Re: 96 Civic looking for a swap, i need info (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Me vote LS turbo (best bang for the buck out of your choises). Screw TypeR lol, I think it's overpriced.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Overpriced for a hand assembled 200 hp 1.8L factory motor? That's going to be my next motor after the boosted SOHC goes. You simply can't beat factory reliability for an inexperienced mechanic even if you do have 300 whp.

Revolver 09-15-2004 01:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Overpriced for a hand assembled 200 hp 1.8L factory motor? That's going to be my next motor after the boosted SOHC goes. You simply can't beat factory reliability for an inexperienced mechanic even if you do have 300 whp.</TD></TR></TABLE>True, but I don't suggest motors like that for noobs. I think that they should start from the bottom like anyone else who doesnt know what they are doing. It's not very fair that the people that actually want to use that motor for what it was intended can't becuase the noobs are blowing them up.

Ricey McRicerton 09-15-2004 01:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Revolver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">True, but I don't suggest motors like that for noobs. I think that they should start from the bottom like anyone else who doesnt know what they are doing. It's not very fair that the people that actually want to use that motor for what it was intended can't becuase the noobs are blowing them up.</TD></TR></TABLE>
His money is just as good as yours for buying it. If he can afford it, then why shouldn't he have it? I could care less if he drives it around and never revs it over 3k as long as he got it legitimately and he's happy with it.

PLAN:B 09-15-2004 01:57 PM

Type R all the way. My JDM ITR engine still gives me chills when vtec kicks in. beating wrx's and s2000's w/ a motor that's straight out of the box in a gutted hatch. not to bad. LS vtec is a good setup too, but you can't beat the reliability of a stock motor. ITR https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

Revolver 09-15-2004 01:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
His money is just as good as yours for buying it. If he can afford it, then why shouldn't he have it? </TD></TR></TABLE> I'm not saying that he shouldnt be allowed to buy it, I just think it sucks is all.

PLAN:B 09-15-2004 01:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Revolver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I'm not saying that he shouldnt be allowed to buy it, I just think it sucks is all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ever drove one?

ABK 09-15-2004 01:59 PM

yeah typeR motor is fine, but for turbo applications LS is better. If you don't have the budget to take that typeR motor apart just to lower the compression.

Ricey McRicerton 09-15-2004 02:00 PM

Re: 96 Civic looking for a swap, i need info (PLANBmotorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PLANBmotorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ever drove one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think he's saying that is "sucks" that the original poster can get an ITR as his first swap.

BTW, I took a ride in a ITR swapped car for the first time a couple months ago. It was crazy to watch the tach absolutely buried.

Revolver 09-15-2004 02:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PLANBmotorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ever drove one?</TD></TR></TABLE>I don't think you understand. Read my above posts.

Ricey McRicerton 09-15-2004 02:01 PM

Re: 96 Civic looking for a swap, i need info (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah typeR motor is fine, but for turbo applications LS is better. If you don't have the budget to take that typeR motor apart just to lower the compression.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nobody in this whole thread has heard the mans goals. For a daily driver, the ITR is more than enough. For a track car that does anything other than go in a straight line, the ITR is MORE than enough. Hell, Emerika races the hell out of a D16z6 and kills stuff at the track.

Revolver 09-15-2004 02:03 PM

However if he's not looking to go fast but just to have a little more go then an NA LS might suit him also.

PLAN:B 09-15-2004 02:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Revolver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would go LS turbo, however c5's are the shit. Your mechanic sucks. Read the rules, then search.</TD></TR></TABLE>
My bad. I see where you are coming from. But those engines are more than the shit. They are amazing.

And ya, an LS might be enough for him. Like Ricey said, depends on the goals.

Revolver 09-15-2004 02:04 PM

But those engines are more than the shit. They are amazing.</TD></TR></TABLE>I can agree with that.

Bor 09-15-2004 03:34 PM

thank you all for the info..... i don't plan on building a car that is designed just for the track. It needs to be an everyday use car. i know i am a noob to this but don't hate cause i have been saving my money to drop into my car https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif i guess i have to decided between reliability and pure power^^
thanks again

CivicEX96 09-15-2004 03:43 PM

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878010