Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 Civic - gear shifter jerks when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default 96 Civic - gear shifter jerks when accelerating

Hello i just wanna introduce myself to the civic comunity for i now own a 96 spec civic hatchback as well as my 98'' Integra GSR which is a project car im just about to complete. I picked her up from a family friend for a very very resonable price. Its a got a DC intake and a magna flow muffler other wise its stock. Drives very nice trany shifts smooth but gives me some issues ill get into later. Gets aprox 32 mpg. I just got her home and ill be giving it a detail first thing in the morning. The car has no power stearing so its killing my arm lol. I plan to use this as a daily driver while i build my new setup im working on in the Integra.

So i have a tech ? when i accelerate in 2nd 3rd and sometimes 4th gear the gear shifter will jerk as if it wants to come out of gear. It doesnt move much but i feel a slight pull. The tranny shifts like butter and the seller told me he just gave it a full tune up and new brakes tires as welll as a new stage 1 clutch im not sure of the brand. Could it be on its way to start poping out of gear and thus being a internal transmision problem? or maybe a bushing under? Im usually the one on here answering questions but here i am with this one which is kinda weird to me.

heres some pics i couldnt help but to take with my crapy tablet when i got home tonight cause i was so excited haha.Ill post a pic when i detail it tomarrow. The paint over all is very good about 8-10 no body dents. Just the fron bumper has a few paint chips but ill touch it up soon.

heres my build thread of the setup im working on,
https://honda-tech.com/appearance-bu...556604/page16/

Old 01-25-2015, 08:52 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: 96 Civic - gear shifter jerks when accelerating

So when you go foot down, the shifter moves? Probably a torque mount problem. There are two on the front of the motor, and one on the rear. The passenger side front goes from the front of the transmission to the frame rail. The driver side goes from the front of the motor, under the AC compressor, to the frame rail. The rear is a little harder to get eyes on - the rubber mount is attached to the subframe, and the rear T bracket. If any of those are missing or damaged, it'll cause exactly what you're seeing, and it wouldn't be it trying to pop out of gear - the entire engine and shifting assembly is literally rocking in the engine bay and under the car, hurting your torque delivery, and promoting wheel hop.

Why do I feel like your Integra is hiding a supercharger down there? If it isn't, it should be
Old 01-25-2015, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
So when you go foot down, the shifter moves? Probably a torque mount problem. There are two on the front of the motor, and one on the rear. The passenger side front goes from the front of the transmission to the frame rail. The driver side goes from the front of the motor, under the AC compressor, to the frame rail. The rear is a little harder to get eyes on - the rubber mount is attached to the subframe, and the rear T bracket. If any of those are missing or damaged, it'll cause exactly what you're seeing, and it wouldn't be it trying to pop out of gear - the entire engine and shifting assembly is literally rocking in the engine bay and under the car, hurting your torque delivery, and promoting wheel hop.

Why do I feel like your Integra is hiding a supercharger down there? If it isn't, it should be

You know what that just might be it. I had a fealing it might be torque mounts but wasnt sure ill take a gander tomarrow.

LOL you know its funny cause it is hiding a supercharger a ATI Pro Charger supercharger haha its a Legacy kit no longer produced. Street legal unlike the wanna be Crafts work SC haha.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow years ago I used to own a pro charger and thought about the same set up just like yours but I wound up selling it to a friend
Old 01-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by New tech
Wow years ago I used to own a pro charger and thought about the same set up just like yours but I wound up selling it to a friend
haha man should of kept it this thing rocks. Hoping to break 350 hp last setup made 275 @ 6psi this new setup is completly diffrent and more powerfull should make some decent numbers with the new setup.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also i notice when i turn the steering wheel left or right ever so slighty even though theres no power steering i hear a squeeling sound or a twisting metal sound. rack and pinion maybe?

The more i drive i can tell theres something wrong with the torque mounts or even engine mounts because when i accelerate the shifter will move with the momentum as if the whole engine is shifting more than it should. Ill be taking a look soon when its day time.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:53 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: My 1996 Honda Civic Hatchback i just baught!

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Also i notice when i turn the steering wheel left or right ever so slighty even though theres no power steering i hear a squeeling sound or a twisting metal sound. rack and pinion maybe?

The more i drive i can tell theres something wrong with the torque mounts or even engine mounts because when i accelerate the shifter will move with the momentum as if the whole engine is shifting more than it should. Ill be taking a look soon when its day time.
If its not an actual manual rack than yes, metal binding or grinding in there.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:32 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 96 Civic - gear shifter jerks when accelerating

and definitely get those torque mounts fixed ASAP. The engine moving around like that is putting unhealthy stress on your axles and transmission, as well as on your engine mounts.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

will do thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Put the and hand brake up as much as you can

Put the trans in first and slowly try and make the motor creep forward just like pre loading before you launch your car. Have someone look at the motor to see which mount is torn.

If the motor stays put its the shifter bushings. mfactory has a nice bushing kit
Old 01-27-2015, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
Put the and hand brake up as much as you can

Put the trans in first and slowly try and make the motor creep forward just like pre loading before you launch your car. Have someone look at the motor to see which mount is torn.

If the motor stays put its the shifter bushings. mfactory has a nice bushing kit
Ok so i took a look at the engine mounts and torque mounts neither of them looked torn or old. Ill try and do the trick you recomend with a friend. Im kind of thinking it might be the shifter bushings. Ill have to get under and take a look.

So i noticed a few things the genius of a mechanic did whoever he is. The DC intakke was not tightened inside the coupler on the throtle body it was just loose sitting in there!

The vac line from the fuel preasure regulator to the intake manifold was a huge coolant hose that was just so loose over the nipples. So i replaced it with some of my boost line from my Integra for now.

The hose from the intake to the back of the valve cover tube was two diffrent hoses tied together so i replaced it with a proper hose i had in my misc box.

The door clicked really loud when you open it so i took a look and noticed the door hinge was loose! so i tightened it up and its fixed now.

I did find a real big spider that freaking scared the **** out me and disapeared under the bottom of the driver seat im like freaked out to sit in the car now. I should of took out the seat but i looked around for a while and couldnt find the bastard.

Also im noticing this weird sound when i accelerate. it sounds like i want to say a old truck trying to go up a hill. It kind of sounds like a exhaust leak to me but i dont see any sighns of it. Almost sounds like a horse going ppprrrrrbbbbbbbb then it goes away as the rpm goes up and i then just hear the intake wistle but the sound is kind of in the lower rpm range. I know my explanation of the sound is rediculas but i wonder what it could be. I was thinking maybe its this stupid magna flow muffler thats welded to the oem piping and thats whats makes the ugly sound. Because its only when i give it more than a 1/4 throtle and get on it. Im soon going to replace it with a stock gsr muffler or ITR muffler.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exhaust manifold gasket might be leaking.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Never thought id say this but you might have blown the welds on the intake
Old 01-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Now you and the mad genius gotta rip apart the block, and replace the piston rings you fried.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
Never thought id say this but you might have blown the welds on the intake

You mean intake manifold? Would this not pull a check engine code?

Originally Posted by RodWolf19
Exhaust manifold gasket might be leaking.
This could be a possibility but I'd have to remove it I guess.

Originally Posted by 09chaplak
Now you and the mad genius gotta rip apart the block, and replace the piston rings you fried.
No I doubt the rings are a issue, there's still power and it doesn't smoke or get blow by that I can notice. I'll have to do a comp. test to confirm.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i reved the engine with the hood popped and i can deff hear the air escaping from the header. I think this header has the cat integrated on it and the sound seems to be coming from the cat. i can hear the air surge out as i release the throttle manually and drop the idle. Could there be a hole or crack? is this common?

I plan to take the car to the junk yard i was quoted $250 for a power steering conversion so I'm going to deff get that done, driving this thing with no power steering sucks and it squeals loud when i turn.