Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 Civic EX Sudden burst of life from a sluggish car

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Civic EX Sudden burst of life from a sluggish car

I recently purchased a 1996 Honda Civic EX. Since I've had it I've noticed it seems to be lacking in power compared to my sister's car of the same model. There is no check engine light yet I can't seem to get past 5500 RPM. It's like there is a dead-zone or something and the power just drops. The car just feels sluggish and I find myself flooring the gas in order to at least barely keep up with the surrounding traffic when a light turns green. Most of the time it just seems the car can barely get out of it's own way. I just thought it's the way it's going to be because of its age, but today something strange happened.

I was leaving work and like usual I floored the gas but this time there was no stopping at 5500 RPM. All of a sudden it felt like the car got kicked in the rear. The acceleration was just amazing. The same thing happened for 2nd and third gear until I noticed just how fast i was going and slowed down. The strange thing is, is the car is just as sluggish as always at any RPM below 5500 but as soon as it breaks away from that 5500 dead zone, I get pushed back in my seat. This happened for a couple of lights and then the car went back to being a slow heap.

Now I've read up on vtec and apparently you're not supposed to feel it "kick in". I'm just wondering what would cause this sudden, very noticeable, increase in power. The first thing that came to my mind was vtec because it seemed the RPM range was about right.

Also I've noticed that I can now downshift and as long as I downshift into an RPM above 5500, I can accelerate and feel the power. Before, if I was to downshift, the car would just rev but no power would be realized at anything above 5500 RPM so the car would just slow down as the revs fell.

TLDR: My car used to get stuck at 5500 RPM and still does but i had a few instances of massive power when the car was able to break through my 5500 RPM dead zone. What would cause this? Any ideas would be helpful and more information can be provided as needed.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 96 Civic EX Sudden burst of life from a sluggish car

Before anything, Do a tune up, oil change, air filter, spark plugs etc..
Old 06-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ douche!

defienently start with a tune up try and jump the service connector anyways to see if there is a code

i would also reccomend cleaning the vtec solenoid screen and then check to make sure your getting consistent power to the solenoid sounds like it might be getting juice intermittently...
Old 06-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

massive power from a stock single banger in an ek chassis? lol righttt

as said above, do a basic tune up if you haven't already recently done so.

is your check engine light on? and just to clarify, when you say it wont go past 5500rpm, is it acting like a rev limiter basically?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:29 PM
pm4nudes

clean it up. maybe you still have the original air filter from 96
Old 06-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

change the fuel filter
Old 06-09-2010, 06:49 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's falling on its face at 5500, it sounds like you're in limp mode, or vtec is not working for some reason. Vtec is not super noticable on a stock single cam, but you should have MORE power over 5500, not less.

Could be that your CEL is burned out, or that it's storing a code somehow. Have you checked the oil level? Vtec won't engage with low oil. Check the codes manually, either with a scanner or paperclip method, and see if anything is stored.

If you STILL don't have a code, I'd start with plugs/wires/cap/rotor/filters/etc.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To JDMWAGOVANMAN, I have seen several posts by you and not one of them have one bit of useful info in them. My advice is to just shut your mouth unless you are putting your brain to use.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Adamvanxxx
To JDMWAGOVANMAN, I have seen several posts by you and not one of them have one bit of useful info in them. My advice is to just shut your mouth unless you are putting your brain to use.
agreed..
Old 06-09-2010, 08:56 AM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmwagovanman
Did you recently install a vtec sticker that has fallen off? That could be your problem, happened to me last week and my car hasnt been the same since.
Reported.

I'd clean up your act before you find yourself banned.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you gotta give it to jdmwagovanman though, it was pretty funny. At least i thought it was. But to the OP, check to see if the bulb for the CEL is burnt out or removed. Then do a tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, filters etc..) and see if it solves your 'massive power' influx
Old 06-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You need people like him, it was pretty funny... I second on limp mode
Old 06-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as said, change plugs leads, oil and all the filters and see how it goes, ive known cars be slow as **** if the timing belt is installed wrong and the timing is slightly out
Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Trial User

Wow everyone, thanks for the replies! I have yet to do a tune-up but I have done some maintenance since I've had the car such as oil changes and air filter. I've checked the oil level and it's good. I've checked the solenoid and it works. To jdmwagovanman: no I have not installed a sticker and interestingly enough, there are no emblems or markings what-so-ever on this car aside from the "H" in the back. Though I do recall having decals on my old eclipse that allowed me to bust out a 12 second 0-60

Since I've been on these forums, I've used the information on them to try and do what I can do with my own limited knowledge in engines but it looks like a tune-up is in order before I go any farther.

On an interesting note, I've been able to identify my engine as a D15b which came as a surprise for sure. It seems the rabbit hole is getting deeper.

[Edit]: The CEL bulb is not functioning. Will a code reader be able to read a code even if the bulb isn't working for whatever reason? Sorry, I'm really green.

[edit again]: Since yesterday, the car is able to break past the 5500 mark with ease any time I drive it as long as the engine is cool (for the first and sometimes second traffic light). Once the engine gets up to proper operating temp (according to the needle) the 5500 limit goes into place again. It does indeed act just like a rev limiter.

Last edited by m0n0lyth; 06-09-2010 at 11:10 AM.