Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 Civic EX Sedan - All Power Windows don't work - Help!

Old 09-08-2005, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Civic EX Sedan - All Power Windows don't work - Help!

A week ago my power windows in my 1996 honda civic EX sedan stopped working. I had the windshield replaced on Tuesday, and didn't drive the car again until thursday. When I got in, none of the windows worked from any of the switches. I drove home, and got some tools. Came back outside and opened the driver's side door. Started the car, and the windows worked again. Shut the car off, and came back to the car the next morning to go to work. None of the windows worked again and haven't worked since. I have tried all of the power window switches, so I doubt if they are the problem. Fuses under the dash look fine, but I still need to check the relays under the hood. Any ideas on what would cause this problem?

thanks,
Mark

spydertech02@yahoo.com
Old 09-08-2005, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 96 Civic EX Sedan - All Power Windows don't work - Help! (spydertech02)

in the driver side door panel, open that up, under the switch there are two plugs, a small one with one wire might be undone.

i had that happen, its a brown (i belive) plug with 1 black wire, unhook it and replug it and see if that helps.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: 96 Civic EX Sedan - All Power Windows don't work - Help! (93egsedan)

Ok, I pulled it off and all the wires are connected as they should be. I removed the single plug which is connected to the Window On/Off switch that disables the other window switches. It seems to have a good connection. Reinstalled it and still nothing.

thanks for the idea, got any other suggestions?
Old 09-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 Civic EX Sedan - All Power Windows don't work - Help! (spydertech02)

may be a bad replay??? it happened to my sister's accord before...
Old 09-12-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: 96 Civic EX Sedan - All Power Windows don't work - Help! (JDM INSPIRED)

Found and fixed it.

For anyone with a similar problem, here is what I did. I have the P/W wiring diagram and finally found time to look it over. Started at the relay under the hood. That looked fine. Then went to the Relay under the dash. Tested that. Had 12V hot and 12 Switched. Followed that to the individual fuses for each window. Turned on the ignition to acc. Had 12v at this point and the fuse was fine. Went to the gray harness that plugs into the drivers window switches. The Black/blue wire had 12v, this stumped me. I know it is something common to all of the windows, so I tested the ground wire (Solid Black or Black/Brown). Ohm'd this out to the car and it showed a break. Traced the ground wire back through the door to the hinge area between the door and car frame. The wires were in a rubber tube to protect them. I pulled the rubber covering back and found the Black ground wire was broken. Simply cut the wire and attached it to the metal door because it would have been a pain to pull it out and resolder it. Everything works now. If anyone has a similar problem and need more details or are confused, let me know. spydertech02@yahoo.com

-Mark