Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 Civic electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Civic electrical issues

Hi guys so this may be a bit of a long post as I want to explain everything thats happened so you have the most information to help me. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

So it all started on friday, I started up my civic and went to drive it about 5-6 blocks. When I got to the 4-5th block all of my electronics started pulsing (Dim then bright, dim then bright at about 1-2 pulses a second) and the speedo started going haywire. I pulled over and shut it off for about 30 seconds then fired it back up. The pulsing had stopped but as soon as I started moving it did it again.

I babied it back home and parked it. I went to look up these issues online and couldn't find anything that was exactly like my issue. I went out and tested the alternator because I had a feeling it was going anyways and sure enough it wasn't charging at all.

So I replaced the alternator (What a pain in the *** that was) and she fired up no problem after that. No pulsing of lights everything was good except now the speedo/odo werent working at all. Not a big deal as I needed the car to make a trip. So I hopped in a went on my way (about 1.5hrs round trip of mostly highway speeds) and everything seemed fine. This was on Sunday.

I didn't use the car much on monday, just a little bit of errand runnning, but now this morning (tuesday) I went out to warm the car up and it started fine so I left the heater on and went inside and came out about 5 minutes later and tried to unlock the doors with my keyless entry and nothing happened. I then noticed that its running like a bag of **** and sounds like its gunna stall soon. I ran inside and grabbed my spare key and hopped in to give it some gas to keep it running. I pressed the accelerator and nothing really happened, infact it only made it sound more like a bag of **** so I shut it off. I waited 30 seconds and tried to turn it over again but now theres no crank/attempt to crank. All the electronics seem to work fine but now she won't even crank over.

Again any and all advice/tips are greatly appreciated!

Specs:

1996 civic si(ex)
1.6l 5spd manual
about 193,000 kms
Original engine and trans
I've owned it since 174,000

Things I have done/have had done
New Deck and Sub
Aftermarket Alarm
Catback exhaust
Ebay intake for sweet hp gains and whoosh noises
Changed Plugs/wires/cap/rotor about 20,000 kms ago
Was about to do oil change and replace fuel filter
Short Shifter

Known issues:
Divers headlight is dim (if you move the plug around it goes back to normal but when you hit a bump it goes dim again)
Needs a clutch/Throw bearing
Was starting a bit hard during winter usually 3-4 cranks before it finally starts up
I have killed the same battery a couple times, listening to music with the car shut off

Last edited by jdvorskt; 12-30-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Adding Specs + Known issues
Old 12-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 96 Civic electrical issues

First thing is to check if the battery is discharged, any part store like advance, autozone, or oreilly's should charge it for free. If possible you should take your alternator off and take it with you to whichever part store you're taking the battery, these stores will bench test your alternator for free as well. A good idea is if you bought the alternator from a particular store, go back to that store for the battery charge and alternator test.
If your alternator tests bad, yay it's probably under warranty you'll get another one. If the alternator is good on the bench, you've got another issue.
But for now, the best thing to do is get that battery and alternator sorted out and post your results, we can help you from there.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Click the Fuse 15 TSB link in my signature and check whether fuse 15 is blown.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Click the Fuse 15 TSB link in my signature and check whether fuse 15 is blown.
Ok fuse 15 was definitely blown, replaced it and car fired right up.

Does this mean I should jack it up, and check the wiring harness like the rest of that pdf stated?
Old 12-30-2014, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jdvorskt

Does this mean I should jack it up, and check the wiring harness like the rest of that pdf stated?
Yes, if fuse 15 blows again.