Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 civic costly accident repairs - noise when turning right

Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 civic costly accident repairs - noise when turning right

hey guys, i have a 96 civic that had an almost complete front suspension remake/replacement due to a very costly accident. i got it back from repairs today and noticed some wierd noise coming from the front end. due to the low frequency kind of sound, i cant quite isolate which side. the following is what i can share about it:

when i turn right, the car complies, but i feel an intense vibration from under the hood, and it sounds like something is rubbing.
when i rev in neutral there is no sound. barely audible when i turn left and drive forward. car feels balanced generally.
but from no sound to the left,
when i turn the wheel to the middle there is moderate sound that increases only when im accelerating (ie when the rpm increases so does the volume of sound and the intensity of vibration). it has nothing to do with the speed. if im at 70kmph, and in 4th gear (low rpm) there is less sound. but at 70 still in second gear (high rpm) there is tons of sound and vibration. it sounds almost like a performance exhaust.
when im turning right even at low rpm there is lots of noise and its quite loud...

when i say "turn" i only described fully cut to one side, but it does it through the whole arc.
also the sound only comes if the car is moving. though not if im fully cut to the left. or rather it might be there, just very low.

i'd really be grateful if some one could shed some light on this...
Old 10-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: 96 civic costly accident repairs - noise when turning right

Please create a thread title that summarizes your technical problem/question so that members may quickly understand the topic without reading your post. This helps you to get more and better responses by letting our members know what technical information that you need -- Title edited.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Is there an option to take it back to the repair shop?
Old 10-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

They missed something.
Take it back!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha yeah they definitely did miss something. which makes me suspect foul play on their part. its kind of an obvious problem (loud sound, vibrations). if they left it out, it could be just to make me go back and pay them more see. plus i live in pakistan. its better to secure yourself than to blame people here.

i read up a lot of things online, here on this forum as well as else where, watched some vids on youtube even. with my limited knowledge, i brought it down to a few things, mounts, bearings, and cv joints. they seem to be common problems as well.

assuming going back to the repair shop isnt an option, can i just get an opinion please on what the problem with my car might be?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, We all had no idea.. I can see how taking the car back might be a problem for you.
Can you list all that was damaged or replaced on the car?
Do you have pics before it was "fixed"
Was the body bent in any way that might cause it to need straightening.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds to me that you should check the rubbers of your homokinetic (or constant velocity joint) behind your front wheels. Might be that one (or both) of the rubbers is loose and all the grease got out. If so, get some new grease for it at a local dealer or garage or anything and put it inside the rubber. After that take a hose clamp and re-attach it to where it got loose.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright guys! Thanks for the suggestions. So cv joint grease and breaks need to be seen. And yes I do have a few pictures. But they might not be too helpful...

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 10-24-2012, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and the entire from of the car had to be replaced. From bumper right down to the front sub frame. The spindles, hubs, one axle, all the reservoirs. The engine still purrs like it's brand new. This is very literally the only noise I could hear. Also when I checked YouTube, it was the wheel bearing noise videos that sounded like my car. Oh and however loud the sound is, even at speed it disappears if I press the clutch pedal.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 10-25-2012, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It dissapears when you press the clutch pedal? o.O That's kinda weird. But could still be the CV joints. As when you keep your car in gear in a turn, you have more friction on the joints. (wich actualy helps with grip). So it might be that you have to much friction. More grease needed haha.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Aunali9
and however loud the sound is, even at speed it disappears if I press the clutch pedal.
This^ sounds like a bad transmission main bearing, usually the input shaft bearing.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
This^ sounds like a bad transmission main bearing, usually the input shaft bearing.
i agree.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

heys guys, thanks for the help and support. it was an engine mount issue. though the engine wasnt bouncing around as i thought it should. the guys at the workshop just undid the mounts and put them back on after an inspection. the sound is gone now and the vibration too. now i just get a slight metallic knocking sound at around 4k rpm which is probably still the same thing. i'll go and smooth it out.

however with the noise and vibration gone, ive noticed that if i'm at high way speeds, in excess of 80kmph, the car moves left and right on its own. it doesnt deviate a lot but i can feel it and it gives a feeling of loss of control. also when it does the steering wheel moves also. thats about the last of any issues i can find in my car atm. any idea what it could be? the wheels and tires are brand new. i feel no bouncing or excessive noise at low or high speeds.